So what does C.C. Sabathia net the Tribe?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what does C.C. Sabathia net the Tribe?

#1 Post by John »

I'm watching the White Sox getting ready to sweep the Indians - stop gloating, you rotten PEBA Sox fans! :P - and I'm finding myself thinking forward a few weeks to when C.C. Sabathia is inevitably traded. There's been endless talk about it on Sportscenter and all that, but now I'm asking you: what do you think Sabathia will return the Indians? What do you hope he'll return?

My involvement with PEBA has lessened my time to follow actual MLB baseball, so I'm a bit behind on gauging the plum prospects out there. Some of you may be more up on it than I am. So tell me... what do you think? And Sox fans, you can participate too by hurling insults and saying what terrible prospects you hope the Tribe receives in return. :-P
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

Boof Bonser.

:twisted:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:Boof Bonser.

:twisted:
It would certainly improve the organizational quality of player's names.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Denny »

Like the commish I have pretty much lost touch with real-life baseball, but based on how they were before the 2008 season started I would love to see a deal with LA to get Chad Billingsley and/or Jonathon Broxton. Is that at all realistic? I have no idea.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Billingsley was one of the top pitching prospects around when I was still paying attention. A deal that landed him and our closer of the future (Broxton) would be pretty nice indeed! But would LA part with Billingsley to get C.C.? I'd be skeptical. Taking a look at his stats, he's 7-7 with a 3.38 ERA. I'm sure the Dodgers view him as an integral part of their rotation, and then the question would have to be, "Why give up a key part of the rotation you control for several more years to get another whom you'll only control for a few months?" So as much as I'd love to see Chad coming to Cleveland, color me skeptical.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Hitmen »

If the Yankees are serious, Chase Wright, Kennedy/Hughes, and either Austin Jackson or Melky Cabrera depending on how ML-ready Cleveland demands in return.

Tampa Bay - lot of talent, but I doubt they rent him for a couple of months. They can wait and use their talent pool more wisely, I think.

Red Sox - depends on how desperate they get. If the Yankees come on strong without CC, and they are in dire need for a push to the playoffs, they might give up guys like Ellsbury and Lester, but based on Epstein's past behavior, I'm guessing they will ride out this season even if they don't make the playoffs, and then push to get CC or someone like him in FA.

My guess - the Brewers or Cubs are probably the major players for Sabathia, although I don't know the NL that well. And I don't know that they have enough to replace the 2 draft picks the Indians will get if they stand pat. But I can see the Cubs making a major push for him if they can sign him to a long term deal. Depends on how much more money they can possibly spend after this past offseason. And how much of a risk it is to let CC bat and run the bases in the NL... :shock:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Hitmen wrote:And how much of a risk it is to let CC bat and run the bases in the NL... :shock:
http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-CC-Saba ... -Blog-9765

After watching that video, answer me this: "How much of a risk is it to not let C.C. bat in the NL?" :grin:
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Duane »

I think this is more interestingthan the CC rumors ... at least more appealing to look at :shock:
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

So the rumor du jour from Ken Rosenthal is that the Indians and the Brewers are discussing a C.C. deal that would net the tribe Matt LaPorta and Alcides Escobar. I won't pretend to know a lot about Escobar - apparently he's a slick-fielding SS with little pop to his bat - but even being removed from MLB for awhile I sure know who LaPorta is. That'd be one of (if not the) most prodigious power bats in the game.

I suspect we'll soon discover if there's truth to this rumor, because if there is then I can't see the Tribe waiting long to move on it. Ain't no one going to beat that proposed offer.
Sandgnats (Bill)

#10 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

LaPorta hasn't had much time as a pro ball player, but apparently he doesn't need much. He reminds me of a young Jim Thome.

I'm sure all of you Indians fans wouldn't mind seeing another Thome like power bat in the future Cleveland lineup.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Congrats Brewers

#11 Post by Hitmen »

Sabathia to the Brewers

Matt LaPorta to Cleveland, 2 more minor leaguers but did NOT get Alcides Escobar (why didn't the Indians hold out, I don't know).

If Sabathia and Sheets both opt for FA at the end of the year, Milwaukee could have 5 of the top 35 picks next year, plus some cash for FAs and still a good young core of players.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Nigel »

Interesting trade. LaPorta is a nice catch, but it doesn't seem like they had any other serious offers or they could have possibly held out for Escobar as well. Milwaukee is making a strong push this season, it'll be interesting to see if it works out for them.
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Badgers

#13 Post by Badgers »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I knew it was coming, but that doesn't make this feeling go away.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Ghosts »

All for the CC deal. The minute he broke camp without a deal was the minute he was as good as gone. I'm still not quite over the 2007 ALCS, though, so truth be told maybe it's just going to take a little while for this to hit me.

So....uh.....Go Browns (!?!)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

I'm actually pretty positive about this trade. Of course it'd have been nice to get another "top" prospect from Milwaukee (though I like the stat lines I'm reading from Taylor Green), but I think LaPorta is a significant enough return to make the deal worth it for the Tribe. And I also think it's a great deal for the Brewers; they're poised to make a serious playoff run and they stand to gain a couple extra draft picks come season's end. I'll tentatively call this a win-win, although for Cleveland the story won't be written for years to come.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”