Anchorage Anchor: MM Batter hits Northern Lights out

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Anchorage Anchor: MM Batter hits Northern Lights out

#1 Post by Reg »

By Joe Plack

7/6/2008 - Anchorage has not been home to minor league baseball for very, but they already have a claim to fame in Turkish born Sînâ Gürler. Gürler is a 24 year old SS/3B, a long shot to make it to the PEBA, and is more famous for being the only Turkish born baseball player in the PEBA world. But now Gürler can hang his hat on an accomplishment that few PEBA All-stars can say they have been able to do. On July 3rd he hit for the cycle against the Fairbanks Grunts.

Gürler hit two singles, a double in the 7th, a triple in the 5th, and as if the story wasn’t already good enough waited until the top of the ninth to complete the cycle with a solo shot. He helped the Mighty Moose stampede over the Grunts 18 – 0.

“In the ninth inning I think I just closed my eyes and swung as hard as I could. When it connected I knew it was gone, I couldn’t believe it, I was numb circling the bases,” said a jubilant Gürler.

Fast forward two days to July 5th and Gürler almost did it again, falling just a homerun short of completing two cycles in three days. Gürler is only starting in each game due to an unfortunate injury to Tulane hero SS Monasterio.

“Life is about taking advantage of the opportunities as they are presented. That’s all I try an do, make the most of what life throws my way,” mused Gürler.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “League News and Articles”