Hancock to AAA

Alan Ehlers

Hancock to AAA

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

6/23/2008: Tempe, AZ - Tempe GM Chris Van Hauter announced that Markus Hancock will start a couple more games for Quebec City, then will most likely be called up to AAA by the end of the month. According to Van Hauter, "Hancock looked great in his second start and I see no reason why he should not be in AAA." Van Hauter also stated that if Patrick Hunter continues to pitch well, he might join Hancock. Van Hauter also proclaimed that Hunter and Hancock could be in the majors by the end of the year and will most likely start next year in Tempe's rotation. The Knights have no desire to resign Yuan and Sutton, so it looks more and more like Hunter and Hancock will get the call to fill those spots.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I'm interested to see how this plays out. Todd Hansen has had immense success after being rushed to the majors, but for every Todd Hansen there are a lot more Todd Van Poppels. I also wonder if it might not be more difficult for a starting pitcher who only gets to play once every 5 or 6 days to make the quick transition that it would be for a position player who goes out there every day. Of course Hancock isn't heading to the majors just yet; I guess we should wait to cast judgment until we see how he handles the fast exposure to AAA.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

His control is major league ready. but I think he's being rushed. I would have babied him through the levels a bit slower and had him finish the last month of this season at AA, then give him a full year at AAA next season.
Somehow, I'm thinking Mark Prior here. I'd get that doctor down in Birmingham on speed dial.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

Calzones wrote:His control is major league ready. but I think he's being rushed. I would have babied him through the levels a bit slower and had him finish the last month of this season at AA, then give him a full year at AAA next season.
Somehow, I'm thinking Mark Prior here. I'd get that doctor down in Birmingham on speed dial.
I dunno. I definitely wouldn't put him in the majors this year, but a few starts at the end of the year in AAA, start there next year, and then getting called up when he makes it undeniable that he's ready, that's how I'd handle him, which is not terribly different from what Tempe is doing. I also think he may benefit from the fact that OOTP prospects tend to develop much faster than real-life players.

Return to “League News and Articles”