Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2039, Season 33

Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2039, Season 33

#1 Post by Board of the PEBA »

Noticed something neat from our latest sim? This is the place to post it!

Please use this thread for post-sim discussion only.

If you're having a technical problem with a new league file, do not post it here!
Post your tech issues in this thread. We will be monitoring it and will respond ASAP
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2039, Season 33

#2 Post by Dinosaurs »

Some big questions for the Fargo Dinosaurs at the beginning of this 2039 season:

1.) Will the rotation take a step forward this year?
-The five man rotation will include a 5 WAR pitcher (Kun), last season's top pitching prospect (Garcia), a couple decent arms (Joje and Fortier) and a rookie southpaw who will be given the first shot at securing a rotation spot from a group of highly touted prospects in AAA.

2) Will Tony Mireles be able to bounce back and earn his contract extension?
-Mireles had a terrible year last season who had never had a season hitting below league average in his career prior to last season and then ran out a 79 wRC+ last season.

3.) Will Bob Smith crack 40 HRs?
-In his rookie season last year, and in just 238 at-bats, Smith hit 21 homeruns. Now that he is set to start the season as the primary left fielder, as long as he stays healthy, it will be fun to see if he can keep up anything close to that HR pace.

4.) Who's going to lead the team in SBs?
-SS Takayuki Yamada swiped 41 bases last season and 2B Yue-jiu Ts'ong stole 47. Both will often have the green light whenever they reach.

5.) Will #6 PEBA prospect CF Han-soo Yi, make his PEBA debut this season?
Yi will start the season in AA with the Toronto Phantoms. He'll likely first have to make the jump to AAA, though that move up could happen by June if he continues to hit like he did last season in AA.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Lions »

We've got 2 position players making the majors out of Spring Training that weren't a part of the team last year.

Infielder Jorge Morán was brought in via trade from Florida. He came in as a solid defender at second base, so naturally we put him at SS this spring to see how he'd do there. He'll be our opening day shortstop with hopes that he can continue to strong defensive progress he made this March. Offensively, we hope to get a .320 OBP out of him, mostly from free passes.

Designated hitter Declan Wanlace is also going to break camp with the big league squad. He mashed this spring to the tune of a 1.093 OPS. He even hit a triple despite being slower than your great grandfather's corpse. Wanlace is getting the chance due to Pedro Rodríguez being out for a few weeks. He'll likely find himself back in AAA when Rodríguez is back.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

Starting the season 3 arms down, will have to get them work once they are ready since they missed the entire spring.

And then the curious case of CF Don Washington, who's steroid regiment seems to have gone very well as he exploded this spring (not actual performance) as far as what all the scouts think about him. Will be interesting to see if he's NJ's next big thing, or maybe he drank whatever Tomás Martínez was drinking before he left.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
JayA
Single-A
Single-A

#5 Post by JayA »

Hitmen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:55 pm Starting the season 3 arms down, will have to get them work once they are ready since they missed the entire spring.

And then the curious case of CF Don Washington, who's steroid regiment seems to have gone very well as he exploded this spring (not actual performance) as far as what all the scouts think about him. Will be interesting to see if he's NJ's next big thing, or maybe he drank whatever Tomás Martínez was drinking before he left.
That Don Washington trade will go down as one of the worst in league history. Based on the current market, he's a $50+ mil talent now.
Jay Amado
GM Florida Farstriders
Shisa
Single-A
Single-A

#6 Post by Shisa »

Another member from squad steroid is current #8 rated prospect, SP Yoritomo Hayakawa who we drafted in the 7th round as a 4-2-4 pot guy and is now a 10-4-7 pot guy. All his scouting updates are just a series of +'s
Matthew Reid
GM Okinawa Shisa
Thoroughbreds
Double-A
Double-A

#7 Post by Thoroughbreds »

Santos hit his 400th career homer this opening sim - he is now 13th all-time.
Sean Torgerson
GM Kentucky Thoroughbreds
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Hitmen »

Two series wins while down a couple arms to start the season. I don’t want to get too excited just yet. Tough WV and HAR series coming up for some early tests. Will be interesting to see how we do this season, I’m teetering now I feel each year on just restarting and thinking “hey, maybe we are okay enough”… not a fun place to be in.
Michael Czosnyka

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Lions »

Dave Petersen got his 2500th career hit in a 9-8 loss to Crystal Lake on April 8. The cool thing about it is that he was 6 for 6 on the day. He's the first player to have a 6 for 6 game in 3 seasons.
Frank Esselink
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

#10 Post by Underground »

Neat:
- Pitching started solid, 1st in the IL in runs against and upper middle of the pack in ERA.

Not so neat:
- The offense started ice cold, currently last in the IL in runs scored, batting average, OBP and OPS. Makes me think my spring training strategy this year of never starting starters was perhaps a mistake
- Apparently the start of the season made Brian Coleman forget how to field? He went from a 5/7 rated Third Basemen to a 3/4 rated one. His defense tanked across the board actually, which isn't ideal. I wish he'd told me he was going to do that before I signed him!

Hopeful:
- Zak Osmond might return after tonight's sim, which should help boost my offense
- Despite league-worst offensive output, I am only a single game below .500 after week one
Evan Seary
London Underground
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Hitmen »

Underground wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 am Neat:
- Pitching started solid, 1st in the IL in runs against and upper middle of the pack in ERA.

Not so neat:
- The offense started ice cold, currently last in the IL in runs scored, batting average, OBP and OPS. Makes me think my spring training strategy this year of never starting starters was perhaps a mistake
- Apparently the start of the season made Brian Coleman forget how to field? He went from a 5/7 rated Third Basemen to a 3/4 rated one. His defense tanked across the board actually, which isn't ideal. I wish he'd told me he was going to do that before I signed him!

Hopeful:
- Zak Osmond might return after tonight's sim, which should help boost my offense
- Despite league-worst offensive output, I am only a single game below .500 after week one
This happened to me right after I traded for ‘Beetle’ You before the start of last season. He was a stud at SS, then two sims in, decided he no longer ever wanted to play there and dropped from a 9 to like a 5 in the position. His early fielding stats in the role showed it was apparently occurring in spring and first couple weeks. Was very odd as well.
Michael Czosnyka

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

Ugly Opening Week (maybe the worse in Aurora history? Might require some research) of Mostly Not So Neat:

- While Aurora's started posted a 1.93 ERA, technical error's in 'Train Arollin's grey matter caused them to pitch very short first starts, over-working the bullpen who comes in at 7.57 - worst in the SL. Fortunately (hopefully??) that's an easy fix...
- The team's .278 is 5th best in the SL - which considering Silva is at .190, Kowalski .150, Munoz .227, 'Matchbox' .222, that kind of feels like a win. On the Neat ledger, Aleman is hitting .389, 'Litterbug' .294, Ortega .500 (with 2 HR), Qing .312 and Macias .275 (no HR). Time to remember that it's 5-games in, and the top of the order is certain to return to their means...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

#13 Post by Underground »

Hitmen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:23 am
Underground wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 am Neat:

Not so neat:

Hopeful:
This happened to me right after I traded for ‘Beetle’ You before the start of last season. He was a stud at SS, then two sims in, decided he no longer ever wanted to play there and dropped from a 9 to like a 5 in the position. His early fielding stats in the role showed it was apparently occurring in spring and first couple weeks. Was very odd as well.
I suppose it's what I get for relying on a 41 year old to be a starting 3B
Evan Seary
London Underground
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Lions »

It was 3 seasons ago that someone had a 6 hit game before Dave Petersen did it on April 8th. It was 3 days later that Sandor Vis matched him with 6 hits. Despite the team scoring 7 runs in the 13 inning game, Vis did not score and had just 1 RBI.

Here are his AB's:
  • Singled to lead off the game in the 1st. Doubled off on a 74 mph line drive to the 2nd baseman... unacceptable.
  • Doubled in a runner from 2nd in the 3rd inning,
  • Singled in the 5th, Freddy Ortíz on 1st only advanced to 2nd
  • Doubled in the 7th. Ortíz on 1st only advanced to 3rd
  • Singled in the 8th. Ortíz on 1st would go to 3rd. Vis would steal 2nd to make it a pseudo-double.
  • Doubled in the 10th. Ortíz on 1st only advanced to 3rd
  • Ground out in the 12th.
Conclusion... Ortíz is slow.
Frank Esselink
Codgers
Single-A
Single-A

#15 Post by Codgers »

Neat: Rookie Isaac Kennedy threw a 8 inning, 6 hit shutout vs Yuma throwing 88 pitches. That is an average of 11 pitches per inning, in the MLB a pitchers goal is 16 pitches per inning (nerdy pitching coach info)

Not so neat: The following day Yuma shutout the Codgers limiting then to 6 hits.
Bob Sullivan
GM Palm Springs Codgers

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”