New Duluth Warriors GM

Warriors
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

New Duluth Warriors GM

#1 Post by Warriors »

My name is Tim Ackley, new GM of the Warriors.

I was born in the Berkshires in western Massachusetts and raised in upstate New York. Next I lived in North Carolina where I earned a BS from Greensboro College. I then moved to New Orleans where I attended Tulane University and began a career in accounting. A career opportunity triggered a move to New England where I lived throughout the '70s. During that time I completed earning an MBA with high distinction from Babson College in Massachusetts. Another career opportunity took me to Arizona where I lived nearly 30 years, mostly in Tempe and Scottsdale. While there I transitioned from working in the high-tech environment to teaching accounting & business at the university level. In 2011, my wife and I moved to Portland, Oregon and in 2015 I retired.

I have played table baseball since I was 12 years old - APBA, Strat-O-Matic, Replay, Diamond Mind. Later, I found fantasy baseball leagues - offline and online - unsatisfactory so I joined an online league based on the Dynasty simulation platform. For several years, I served as the commissioner of my primary league. But the simulation was too predictable. I wanted to dig deeper. A search for alternatives led me to OOTP. I have been playing OOTP, which I consider to be the ultimate simulation experience, since 2014.

While in college at Greensboro College, I played varsity basketball on the first athletic team in the college's history. In our second year, we won the conference championship. My 1.5 (yes, 1 1/2) points per game, rebounds, blocked shots, and personal fouls undoubtedly were a key factor in our success. :smile: Years later our team was honored when we were named to the GC hall of fame.

In the five years prior to the pandemic, I paddled as a member of a dragon boat paddling club for paddlers who are at least 50 years old. Our teams - women, mixed, and men - compete in about six race events per year. We often surprise paddlers and spectators with our speed, sometimes even beating teams with paddlers who are much younger. In 2020 I served as the commodore of the club.

In 2005 I met and married my wife, Susan, the love of my life. Susan's daughter Katy, who was 14 at the time, is now married. Katy and son-in-law Tony have two delightful children who are growing way too fast. The grandchildren have been a wonderful addition to our lives.

My ancestors in America, on both sides of my family, date back to the 1650s with deep roots in New England. Despite spending most of my youth in upstate New York, I became a fan of each of the Boston teams - Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots.

I have only visited Minnesota once, but I have Ackley family relatives from Minnesota. My father and uncle were born in western Minnesota. I just scanned the history of Duluth. Very interesting. My front office team and I plan to build upon the history of PEBA baseball in Duluth.

Also, one of my brothers who pitched for the Kansas Jayhawks and has lived in London, England since 1989 played for the London Warriors with many expats and Englishmen. For nearly 20 years. many of us (he included me and another brother) attended Warriors Weekends each year. Each was in a different city and included baseball (a weekend series), much beer, and reunions for buddies many of whom had returned to the states.

I continue to GM a team in one other league. I am excited to be joining what appears to be another premier league in the OOTP universe. I look forward to getting to know each of you and to strengthening the Warriors organization.

Go Warriors!
Last edited by Warriors on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Ackley
GM Duluth Warriors
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

Re: New Duluth Warriors GM

#2 Post by Apollos »

Tim! Welcome, so great to meet you and such a great intro…. It turns out you have Tempe roots which can only mean deals with the Apollos can take place at a substantial discount :lol:

It’s great to have you aboard, you’ve joined the best ootp league in the land and it sounds like you’ll be a fantastic addition. Look forward to many years of Duluth success under your watch ;-D
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Arroyos »

Tim,

Welcome to the PEBAverse, baseball's answer to the Twilight Zone. Sounds like you're well equipped to join this mob and rock the proverbial boat. Boats always need rocking.
I'm delighted to have another table baseball game player join! I played Strat-o-matic in the early 60s, switched to APBA in the 70s. I still play season-long replays for my favorite teams. Just finished playing the SF Giants from 1958 to 1970.
Look forward to reading your prose.

Yuma Bob
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Thoroughbreds
Double-A
Double-A

#4 Post by Thoroughbreds »

Great intro!

Welcome to the league!
Sean Torgerson
GM Kentucky Thoroughbreds
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Hitmen »

Welcome to PEBA Tim! You should definitely find your time here entertaining.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Welcome Tim! It is a pleasure to have you aboard and we wish you some (but not too much) luck with the Warriors. There's enough talent there to make a strong summer charge on the Great Lakes crown! Your bio is excellent, and you seem a perfect fit for our PEBAverse!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Lions »

From another northeast transplant to Portland, welcome to the league, Tim.

Glad to have you on board and best of luck with the Warriors!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Akira »

Great resume, Tim. Welcome aboard.
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Trendsetters
Single-A
Single-A

#9 Post by Trendsetters »

Welcome to the PEBA Tim! As one of the newer GMs I can testify that you will find plenty of people willing to help you get your feet on the ground and answer any questions you may have. Good luck with Duluth!
Chuck Valenches
GM New Orleans Trendsetters

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”