‘Big Whiskey’ Receives Big Honor

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#1 Post by Borealis »

by Francis Ferry, NLN baseball beat writer

April 22, 2035: Aurora, Colorado – As fans enter Northern Lights Park and take that first look at the field there is plenty to see – the smoothly mowed field of grass – no disturbing patterns mowed into it giving a hint to the disturbed mindset of the head groundskeeper. The 24’ wall in right field and beyond it, Cherry Creek Lake. The iconic Pepsi Bottle in left-center, and above the left field stands, just near the foul pole, the numbers. The Aurora Greats – those who were with the club early on, and those who helped stamp ‘Aurora Borealis’ into the annuals of baseball history. ‘Train Arollin’, Kojima, Burris, ‘Old’ McDonald, and the twin 42’s – Cory Pierce and ‘Tugboat’.

Yesterday, in a ceremony before the Borealis took on the Crystal Lake Sandgnats, in a tightly choreographed event that allowed some of the participants to dash off in time for a ballgame in Thornton (the regularly scheduled game with Chandler pushed back 30-minutes in accommodation), the Aurora Borealis added a new number to their list of those retired. Retired is #28 – that of the club’s all-time home run leader and long fan favorite, Mike ‘Big Whiskey’ Britt.

Fans lined up outside the park early as the club gave out commemorative ‘Big Whiskey’ shot glasses to all adults and Britt jersey-tee’s to children, in celebration of the event. The Jack Daniels was flowing at all the bars withing the park, in honor of the ‘Big Tennesseean’, who played 14-seasons and 1,910 games for the Borealis with 363 HR, 1,199 RBI and a .257 average. ‘Whiskey’ was a 5-time All-Star and won the Royal Raker in 2023 – the season Aurora completed their three-peat with Britt being the PEC MVP versus Florida.

While the teams took batting practice a video montage of Mike Britt’s greatest moments – big hits and homers; great defensive plays; the championships – he was part of the four titles in five seasons; the interviews, while a soundtrack of the greats of Nashville accompanied the presentation – players on both sides keeping an eye on the highlight package while shagging balls in the outfield. Once the batting practice ended and the field was cleaned up, the fans rose and cheered as Dave Matthews walked onto the field for the National Anthem – a not so subtle nod to Mike Britt’s origin story as to how he was saddled with the ‘Big Whiskey’ nickname.

After the anthem, Aurora GM Will Topham took the field, accompianied by his niece and newly crowned President and CEO of the Borealis, young Miss Lyonne J. Topham, followed by a number of former-teammates of Britt’s, including recently released (and no doubt soon to retire) Paul Carlisle, Nick Giles, also recently released Gabe McIntyre, River Pope, and Martin ‘Sawmill’ Francisco. After introductions, Pope and Francisco spoke of their memories of Britt, as did Michel Provost and Randy Smith, via pre-recorded messages on the scoreboard – Provost from his manager’s office at Gatineau and ‘Tugboat’ from his office at Mokule’ia. Britt, taking a few moments from his hitting coach responsibilities with the newly christened Thornton Sun Dogs, was the last to speak.

“When Joe Horn (former-Aurora head scout) came to me and offered me a contract, I was excited - and I was scared to death. It took me a year – Hawaii was so far away from Tennessee…” Britt’s first season with the Oceanic was a difficult one indeed, hitting just .221 and 5 HR, though he did have 24-2B in 76 games. “But then it clicked and I was here in no time. I had some wonderful coaches and played with some of the best players in baseball, in the best Organization in baseball…” with that, the fans cheered loudly. “And now, I wait for the day when I can put the Aurora Blue back on and be back in that dugout,” as he gestured towards the home team dugout “and help lead the future of this club. You see them already – Clark and the Munoz’ (Raul and Tony), Aleman – just wait for Angel Silva.” Mike Britt looked about with a satisfied smile. “I want to thank Will (Topham) for his faith and for making this honor a reality. And I want to thank you…” and he pointed into the stands, doing a complete circle around the field – not forgetting anyone, “I played in Amsterdam and Arlington, some, and Fargo, but no where are the fans as dedicated as you all.”

With that, there was a brief display of daytime fireworks and streamers exploded as the cover was removed from the #28 plaque in the left-field corner, for all to see.

Of course, there was also a ball game on this day. Armando Batista took the mound for the Borealis and though he walked a batter in the first, he settled in and took the game to the 5th before the ‘Gnats got a hit. Meanwhile, Aurora was doing enough against Manuel Lopez – and then Juan Trejo after Lopez left with a sore elbow, over the first 5-innings to take a 4-0 lead: Tony Munoz leading the game off for Aurora with his 2nd homer; de la Cruz singling in the 2nd, scoring on a Randy Love RBI single; Tony Munoz with a lead-off single in the 3rd and using a stolen base, wild pitch and a ground out to plate a third run; and Francisco Montoya doubling home Wynn Berry, who had walked.

Batista ran out of gas in the 7th as Tony Torres tripled, Luis Castro doubled – and after former-Aurora outfielder Tomas Flores reached on an error by Berry – and Jon Woods walking, Aurora’s big Cuban was off to the showers. Paul de Kook came in and didn’t help – allowing a pair of run scoring singles – erasing Aurora’s comfy lead to just a run.

Mike Britt may not have been available to hit – by the time Claudio Hernandez homered to start the 8th and give the Borealis some breathing room, the Thornton hitting coach was watching his own club leave runners stranded all night, but on the Front Range, on ‘Big Whiskey Day’, the Aurora Borealis would post a win – ‘Machete’ Gutierrez picking up his 7th save and Armando Batista his 3rd win.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”