State of the Farm

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

State of the Farm

#1 Post by Ghosts »

Niihama, Japan - 21 November, 2033

“Superb. And I don’t say that lightly. You’ve both been superb,” Vanessa didn’t smile boisterously as so many others might while praising a colleague. She wanted to convey sincerity, and so she offered her review of the developmental reports submitted by the Developmental Czars, Coaches Kichikawa and O’Monahan, with a neutral expression and earnest gaze.

“Our developing core learned directly from you both, as well as through members of your coaching staffs throughout our ranks. Many of our prospects are well ahead of where we projected them to be. Very few are lagging. GM Vail and I are each quite pleased with how our farm is progressing,” Vanessa alternated her eye contact between the reports, Dean, and Kiyomitsu with precise timing and a nearly robotic professionalism.

“Good Lord, even her posture is perfect,” Dean noted to himself.

“Dean, the work you've done with Anthony McDonald is foundational to our efforts here. We’ll be patient, but we are very eager to see him in green pinstripes. Yuji is also developing nicely, but we expected as much. Middleton… wow! Murakami: beautiful. The only results we aren't overjoyed with are Connor’s and Alonzo’s. They have time to adapt, though. I suppose I should add Ubbens to that list as well; it's a little disappointing to see him on the path to the bullpen,” Vanessa now transitioned her attention mostly toward her reports and annotations as she continued.

“Luis Cavazos... What a year! Antonio Garcia, Fernando Valdez, Earl Lucas, Yaji Matsunaga... we’re stacked with all this pitching! It’s very exciting to think about the future and how close we are to seeing some results in Niihama,” Vanessa said, now finally allowing herself a grin.

“And Kiyo, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might actually be more excited about our hitting prospects than our pitching prospects. What you've been able to do with Miguel Fernandez, Miguel Maldonado, Harold Stowe, Nolan McMahon, and, of course, Esteban Rodriguez… these guys are looking like they can be starters and contributors to a championship team. Add in the fact that you were able to get MacVurich up to speed so quickly at AA, and I'm not sure we're going to have to pay very many veterans by the time 2035 rolls around.”

“This must be what Toyama feels like,” Vanessa mused and continued reviewing the reports. After several minutes of patient waiting, Dean O’Monahan broke the silence, “So what's next? I think I’ve done most of what I can do with Yuji and the other guys at AAA. To be frank, I don't enjoy working with veterans. So, if it's all the same to you, I'd like to go back to one of our affiliates. As you mentioned Fernando Valdez in particular looks like someone I'd like to instruct. If you agree, I'd like to place myself in Gohueng.”

Vanessa broke her reverie and met Dean’s gaze. After a moment, she replied “Honestly, I can't think of a better outcome for the organization. We have a second wave of talent brewing at that level and if you're willing to work directly with those players, then I'm sure you will receive no pushback from me or anyone else.”

“What about you, Kiyo? where will you place yourself for the coming season? The organization will place you wherever you deem the best fit.”

Kiyomitsu Kichikawa leaned back slightly in his chair and considered for a moment. “I have greatly enjoyed working with the players that I did this year. I believe they could still benefit from more of my direct instruction, however, some of them have tools that I never did. They should also take instruction from somebody that can harness those talents,” Kiyomitsu was formulating these thoughts live, and was still considering all options.

He continued, “I think Derek should take over instruction for Stowe, Fernandez, and Rodriguez.”

He contemplated further, patiently, as the others awaited his decision for where to place himself. He sat comfortably, shifting gently as he thought. After several moments, he announced, “I believe I will join you in Gohueng, my friend. There is a group of players there that, my friend Andrew tells me, have great potential. I should enjoy working with them and with you, Dean,” Kiyomitsu bowed and smiled casually toward Dean.

“Then our rookie league prospects should be overjoyed, “ Vanessa smiled, “I will inform GM Vail of the plan so far. Please let me know of any other changes you'd like to make in the staff either in organization or in hiring and retention. I'm looking forward to having a similarly pleasant conversation at this point next season,” Vanessa nodded.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current

Return to “League News and Articles”