The Hit - Blog

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Hit - Blog

#1 Post by Hitmen »

November 9th, 2033: Livermore, CA

The dust had barely settled from a disappointing loss to the Gloucester Fisherman in the Championships before GM Tatsuzo Ono retired after a strenuous final season with the Hitmen. But it didn't take long for owner Bernardo Francisco Antollini to find his replacement; as former Madison Malts GM, Michael Czosnyka, has been brought in to help prep the Hitmen for the 2034 season and beyond.   

Czosnyka was only able to put together a 338-472 record for the recently relocated Malts of the PEBA, and one has to wonder why he was shown the door so rapidly. I will see what I can find out for you fans as we hope his luck is a little better here in the big city. 

Our star pitcher Chris 'Liver' Pate is looking forward to some rest this offseason after a third straight 33 start performance. Lots of decisions lay ahead however as the Hitmen will have some holes to fill in the rotation this coming year with Otto Coleman amongst others set to hit the free agent market. Not to worry however as management is already in talks with SP Brendon Cardenas in order to try and avoid arbitration this offseason.

Team Captain, Stephen Hooper has already spoken to the players to let them know his personal offseason training camp in his hometown of Marion, IN begins in January after the New Year. Always ready to go is Hoop, he is a great influence on these younger players.

New GM Czosnyka is still in the process of building his staff after the exit of Ono, so I expect to have more for you soon on that front as offers have already been sent out I am told by Julian Kamien, Key Assistant to Antollini. And I will have the full breakdown of the all the moves this offseason here on The Hit, your home for Hitmen news from your own former Hitmen, Lee Kohler. So keep stopping by as I appreciate all of you readers!

I also wanted to take this opportunity to let you know about an exciting new column I will be working on for the PEBAlmanac starting this offseason called, "The Trade Tree"! It's my first big break, so I hope to make you guys proud! I will analyze and follow past and recent trades throughout PEBA history to see how big of an impact they truly had!  
So look forward to my column in the PEBAlmanac in their quarterly review section. Yes, it's the one way in the back.. but bear with me guys, I think this one will be the one!

Lee Kohler - The Hit

Followers: 351
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Hit - Blog

#2 Post by Borealis »

Sounds Exciting!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Nice! Can't wait to see what the future will be in NJ!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

November 16th, 2033: Livermore, CA

NJ's build towards a transition back into the PEBA fold in 2035 began with the hiring of GM Michael Czosnyka. The #1 seed in the WIL with a 110-52 record, followed up the hiring by putting a new staff in place for the Hitmen, and the direction has been to go young.

New Manager Hugh MacLardy, 48, only has 2 years of experience under his belt, bouncing between the Anchorage Mighty Moose (SS-A), the newly formed North Sydney Kookaburras (IBC) and most recently with the Nampa Moccasins (Hi-A) with a total managerial record of 80-108. Nothing wholly impressive, but his focus on the youth movement and favor of the big bats hopefully will pair well with his serious demeanor in the dugout.

Joining MacLardy will be new Bench Coach, Chance Hatcher, 41. Hatcher has seen some success in the WIL while working with the Fushigi Yugi Celestial Warriors and should be a good fit with MacLardy in the short term. We shall see how the two work together long term.

Pitching Coach John Franklin brings experience to the dugout with 19 years under his belt. He was brought in to help #1 Chris 'Liver' Pate and prospect Yasuoka Seki maximize their stuff on the mound.

Hitting Coach Ralph Gustafson rounds out the coaching staff with 16 years of experience under his belt. Gustafson has already taken a liking to Rookie of the Year winner, Gelana Naybet, and hopes to help him maximize his swings.

A whole new staff and only one season to implement their new strategy is a big risk in one final hurrah season in the World Independent League before moving back to PEBA where the competition is brutally tough.

- @alleatherKohler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hitmen on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Czosnyka

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

I love the Twitter usage! I need to bring back my sports writer using Twitter more.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Hitmen »

Sandgnats wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:11 pm I love the Twitter usage! I need to bring back my sports writer using Twitter more.
I enjoyed when the league used it a bit, but now I just have a template built and ready in photoshop that I use. Adds a bit of “realism” though that I enjoy. ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Sandgnats »

Hitmen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:46 pm
Sandgnats wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:11 pm I love the Twitter usage! I need to bring back my sports writer using Twitter more.
I enjoyed when the league used it a bit, but now I just have a template built and ready in photoshop that I use. Adds a bit of “realism” though that I enjoy. ;-D
Awesome I love it!
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Jersey Prepares for a Return to PEBA

#8 Post by Hitmen »

June 1st, 2034: Livermore, CA

The season continues to slowly progress, with the Hitmen sitting at a comfortable 20 games over .500 at 38-18 after today's early morning victory against rival, Edo Battousai. But the 2034 season isn't just any other year for the Hitmen. It is the final season that the maroon and gold will grace the World Independent League with it's presence.

Now in their 11th and final season in the WIL since prior ownership decided to sell the team's assets off after the 2023 season, New Jersey is clawing it's way back with a vengeance. The WIL is no longer big enough to hold this big market team back and New Jersey is coming, but not without trying to go out with a bang first..

In their first 10 seasons, New Jersey went 847-737 with 5 playoff appearances and 2 championships. In that short time, they were able to out perform their 17 seasons on the grander stage (1427-1330, 8 playoff appearances, 1 championship). Now, New Jersey hopes to go out in a blazing glory before the big leap back to PEBA in the 2035 season.

Under the ownership of Bernardo Francisco Antollini, New Jersey has been able to right the ship financially and will return to PEBA with a their familiar yet unique uniforms, but they will be playing out of an enhanced and refurbished Mercer County Waterfront Park which will delight fans and opponents as well.

Gone are the dirty trough style urinals, some poorly designed ramps and walkways, and the uncomfortable bench style outfield seating. New concessions abound the stadium, cleaner and more spacious bathrooms, and some vertical construction in the outfield has added stadium style seating to the tune of an additional 5,000 seats bringing the park up to 54,000 seats in total just before the start of the 2034 season. All part of Antollini's plans when New Jersey starts playing to the larger crowds of the PEBA fan base.

With over a third of the season gone, New Jersey is well on their way to being the favorites to return and compete for the Championship, only question is whether we will get a repeat of last year's match up with Gloucester.

Lots to look forward to in New Jersey's farewell tour of the WIL, but here's one old Hitman hoping we can go out with a bang.

- @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Jersey's Arms Race Begins

#9 Post by Hitmen »

June 5th, 2034: Livermore, CA

New General Manager Michael Czosnyka and Pitching Coach John Franklin have put all of their efforts into putting together a young and future focused rotation that can be the corner stone for the team upon their return to PEBA.

While 2035 and beyond is the focus, we are already seeing dividends in 2034.
  1. Chris 'Liver' Pate is the young rotation's 'veteran' at only 29 years old. Czosnyka bestowed the nickname, Liver, on the staff ace after their initial meet and greet when the GM joined the team before the 2034 season. Stating, "That boy reminds me of a good old Liver Pate spread thickly on some rye toast" after watching some tapes of Pate attacking the inside corner on his opponents. A power pitcher, Pate tops out at 98 miles an hour typically and has a solid 3 pitch arsenal which has allowed him to 200+ strike outs for the past 3 seasons.
  2. Naoaki Gato was a critical offseason acquisition from the Kure Arsenal which saw SP/RP Tim Broughton, SP Kanzaburo Chikafuji, $700,000, and NJ's 1st round pick (10th overall) for the foundational lefty. Already pitching for Kure for 7 years, Gato is just starting to hit his stride as a starter and has a high potential in Franklin's eyes. "The kid's fork is nasty! It will get him far where we are going."
  3. Yasuoka 'The Calm' Seki is a true home grown talent just getting his start this year on the main roster after limited appearances and a spot on the reserve roster in 2033. 'The Calm' is known for his control of the batters box, or so he claims. In only his first full season pitching, Seki has improved by leaps and bounds, compared to his limited experience, however 'The Calm' is a nickname he will have to grow in to in the coming years as reduces his walks and gets better command of his Changeup and Splitter. Seki is only 22 years old, but is expected to be a rotational piece of the future Hitmen.
  4. Brendon Cardenas is a glimpse into the future for what fans can expect out of 'The Calm' as he matures. Cardenas followed a similar path of trial by fire after being the 1st overall pick back in 2029.  In 5+ seasons, he has amassed a 44-29 record, 3.47 ERA, and 476 strikeouts. Cardenas has more power than Seki, but still depends on his control to get hitters out. Cardenas also favors the Forkball like fellow starter, Naoaki Gato.
  5. Yub Issa is quickly developing as the diamond in the rough find of the offseason after hitting the free agent market after the 2033 season in Palm Springs. While bouncing around in Havana, Issa last pitched for the National City Bankers, the Hi-A squad of Palm Springs before leaving the team. Upon arriving in the WIL, Issa has been playing with a chip on his shoulder, eager to prove his doubters wrong. This has resulted in an impressive start that puts him at the top of the league's win total so far in 2034.
The bullpen is next with plenty of old faces, and some new ones. Shortly we will take a look at what the bullpen of the future may look like for the Hitmen.

- @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Jersey’s Youth Movement Shouldn’t be Ignored

#10 Post by Hitmen »

June 26th, 2034: Livermore, CA

'Let the kids play' is not a rhetoric that owner Bernardo Francisco Antollini is looking forward to having to push in New Jersey. Made harder by the fact that his Hitmen are on a fantastic run in the WIL and on their way to a hopeful return to the Championship series. Despite all of the success of the team and solid rotation built for the future, the team will more than likely be in for a rude awakening when rejoining the ranks of PEBA in the 2035 season. Not only will the current roster be put to the test against a historically strong IL, Antollini will need to work with GM Czosnyka to fill 5 minor league squads.

That doesn't mean everything has to be scary or negative, as we should see the return of some of New Jersey's beloved affiliate teams such as the Camden Consigliere, the Cliffton Dons, and the Hoboken Crooners. More will come on that as we approach the offseason. For now, let's take a quick look at what the future holds for the Hitmen's lineup.

Catcher:

Claudio Ferreira & Davey Short both are likely to see a return next season. Both are sound defensive options that work well with the current pitching staff, however both leave much to be desired as far as their contribution at the plate. Expect the team to consider exploring options for an upgrade at catcher to start off the 2035 season.

1st Base:

With the trade of José Canseco leaving in the Masaaki 'Toyotomi' Ishida deal, this has left the position solely in the hands of youngster Alfredo 'The Sauce' Martínez. Alfredo, or as teammates have started jokingly calling him, "The Sauce", after showing some fancy glove work the past 2 seasons at 1st, has already been the go to starter since 2032. He can now rest easy with a lack of competition to worry about. Alfredo has done well for himself to the tune of a 162 game average of 25 HR and 105 RBI, while hitting .276/.354/.449. While his showboating glove work at 1st has produced more errors than would be liked by the staff (25 Errors/Year average), he is still a solid defender at the bag. Look for the team to look beyond utility players like Quentin Shenton and Bernardo Sandoval for some additional depth at 1st next season.

2nd Base:

No one can argue that Hai-liang Choe is the team's current solution, but internal discussions are ongoing whether Choe is the immediate future as well. While signed to a friendly 1 year deal and hitting a respectable .337/.370/.498 with 42 RBI and 23 doubles, the organization is looking into whether a longer term investment is warranted. Choe is said to be looking for a 4 year extension, however at 35 years old that may be a tall ask of the squad looking to make a splash in their return to PEBA. Especially when the Hitmen moved additional prospects to land Hisamitsu Kamimura, a former 6th overall pick to hopefully inherit 2B in the coming years. Kamimura will do well to get additional looks once the Hitmen are able to take advantage of the expanded minor league system. So the big question is, will Choe accept a shorter term extension? Or will New Jersey explore other options?

3rd Base:

3B is set for the time being unless the Hitmen get creative in the offseason. 3B Ken'ichi Yamasaki has emerged since his transition from PEBA to the WIL and New Jersey, putting together the best two years of his career. This earned him a 5 year extension in the 2033 offseason. While he struggled in his limited action at the PEBA level before, there is hopes Yamasaki can continue to hold down 3B until youngster Masaaki 'Toyotomi' Ishida is ready to take over. The 20 year old righty has Hitting Coach Ralph Gustafson salivating at the kid's potential as he believes "Toyotomi" is ideally built for Mercer County Waterfront Park. Nicknamed after the famous Samurai who unified Japan, Ishida led his little league team to multiple championships behind the mighty swing of his whiffle bat. Not only does "Toyotomi" swing a big stick and have a great eye for hitting, he has been working diligently on his defense as well. One only hopes he can take advantage of the right field line in Mercer County in the future.

Shortstop:

SS Leon "Smooth" Brunelle had a nice little career in PEBA, where he was known for the long ball and being a respectable defender. But at 36 years of age and forgotten in PEBA, he was not done with baseball just yet. With the rise of the WIL, "Smooth" continued to make a name for himself by putting up career high numbers despite getting older. Now at 41 years old, Brunelle has begun to feel the bite of old age as some elbow tendinitis has kept him out 6+ weeks this season, which has all but guaranteed he will not make his vesting option this season for a return next year. But that should not worry anyone as for better or worse, Marvin 'Horror Show' Gorrie is slated to take over next season in a swap from old to new. A Horror movie buff who wanted to be known for something other than growing up in Flint, Michigan; don't let "Horror Show" and his plethora of tattoos scare you as the 'Gory One' is as kind as they come and he is quick to help out his community and the less fortunate. The organization is high on Gorrie's skill set and believe he can be a mainstay at the position for years to come. Some back up for the youngster will be warranted however.

Outfield:

Led by a motley crew of veterans, the outfield is mostly set for the immediate future, but has a lot of potential to see some change. Veterans such as Stephen Hooper and Gary Faris both have seen more success in the WIL than they did at the PEBA level, but hope to take their leadership back to the big leagues, where we all hope to see the continued growth of last year's Rookie of the Year winner, Gelana Naybet. With pieces in the International Complex such as Ramón Colón and low cost/high reward signings such as Johnny 'Sarge' Jennings, the team can get away with mixing and matching in the interim, but some long term prospects would do wonders to build around for the future.

There is hope in the near future to make an impressive start in their return to the bigs, however this is no small task and management is not ignorant to the fact that a long and slow grind back to relevance may be the most realistic approach going forward. The coming offseason will be extremely critical for the Hitmen and will be the deciding factor for the long term direction of the once prominent Hitmen. At least for now, they can ride the high trying to go out with a bang in their final WIL season.

- @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Jersey Exits World Independent League with a Whimper

#11 Post by Hitmen »

December 19th, 2034: On the road..

The favorite going into the playoffs, New Jersey had nothing to lose. A 99-63 record, to lead the league by 9 games and a much deserved first-round bye. But let’s not get too excited yet! A season low 9-13 record in September and a 4-6 record in their final 10 games, New Jersey went in anything but fired up and ready. In fact, you can say they were iced while waiting for the first round to end.

Nothing can be more evident than the lack of passion and care on the players when the team was eliminated 4-2 by the eight seed, Portland Chinook, who entered 26 games back.

But is that the real story? The team just gave up and instead was looking ahead to their big transition to the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance?

Chris ‘Liver’ Pate was still lights out in two starts; in fact all of the starting pitching was electric, out pitching the Chinook and only giving up 16 runs in the series to Chinook’s 23. Even outhitting them as well! But that was just not enough…
  • Game 2; lost 2-1
  • Game 3; lost 2-1
  • Game 5; lost 6-4 in an extra inning blunder and 4 run bottom of the 10th
  • Game 6; lost 4-3
The pain of losing by one-run, felt throughout the season. The Hitmen were 8-11 in extra innings and 27-31 in one-run games. Cleary, the team had a weakness, and that was their bullpen. And the final scapegoat? Fireball throwing sidearm, Joshua Hall. After an outstanding season as the team closer before the late addition of Yoshifumi ‘Snuffy’ Ohara, Hall was a lock on the mound. But when the biggest moments came to the front in the playoffs; Hall broke down going 0-2 in three critical games, a 11.25 ERA, giving up 5 of the 16 total runs to the Chinook.

“I was devastated. I let the team down. Us.. THE Hitmen… gone because I couldn’t keep my nerves. I can’t apologize enough… please, I have no more comments..”

Should we pile on Hall for the poor performance? All of the Instagram and Youtube videos of fans burning jerseys making the pain worse for the 34-year-old righty out of Denver, CO. He will be back on the mound in 2035 as New Jersey makes their long-awaited return to the big show. What will fans do when he first steps on the mound? Forgive him and rejoice to see the Hitmen playing rivals like Arlington or Manchester again? Or will they take out their frustration instead and hurl more insults? We will have to wait and see. This analyst though thinks that the looming Winter Meetings have big things in store for our Hitmen. We will find out if they decided to lay down and let their loss drive them forward into a lengthy rebuild, or perhaps they come into PEBA with a chip on their shoulder and try to prove why they were the WIL’s best.

Don’t worry though, this coming year I will be there to tell you, all of our fans, up front and center! New Jersey has signed me on as a permanent analyst as we return to PEBA! So no more watching tv and posting all my knowledge in twitter form, now I can truly be All Leather again!

– @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Return of the Old Guard

#12 Post by Hitmen »

February 18th, 2035: Newark, NJ

The Hitmen introduced a handful of returning veterans who are now back with the franchise this offseason. The moves should make most fans excited about the future leadership of the franchise itself.

The Hitmen's SS-A affiliate, the Hilo Hoops, introduced an entirely new staff this offseason; Manager Ieyoshi Ishikawa, Pitching Coach Cary 'Checkmate' Bond, and Hitting Coach Javier Soto.

Ishikawa is in the top 5 of the Hitmen's record books in career batting average, on-base percentage, OPS, and hit by pitch and made his biggest impact in New Jersey for his career. He is also New Jersey's only 5-time All-Star, which is a team record as well. Ishikawa didn't blow the cover off the ball or steal 100s of bases, he was just a consistent force out in Center Field during one of the Hitmen's most productive runs in PEBA.

"I am so happy to be back in New Jersey, and I hope to once again be accepted by the fans as I try to bring my knowledge of the game and winning ways to our beloved Hoops." 

Ishikawa finished his career with 1,883 hits, 163 HR, while batting .312/.372/.449 to the tune of 5x All-Star appearances, 1x All-Leather Award at CF, and a Championship ring with the Duluth Warriors in 2026 which saw him win the Championship series MVP award as well. His winning pedigree will help him greatly as he begins teaching the new generation within the Hitmen franchise. With some more experience, we could see him up in New Jersey soon enough.

Joining his staff is former closer, Cary 'Checkmate' Bond who is 7th all-time on the PEBA Career Saves leaderboard with 340 saves, all while with the Hitmen. Bond ended his 9-year career in NJ 44-58 with 340 saves and a career 3.11 ERA. Bond is looking forward to helping the next generation and hopes his Splitter rubs off on the next lefty star in New Jersey.

Rounding out the staff in Hilo is former outfielder Javier Soto, another New Jersey staple during their big playoff run from 2013-2018 where Soto was the starting LF from 2015-2019. Soto was a consistent big bat in the lineup with a career .298/.336/.481 line and 238 HR on 1,579 hits. Soto always had a great eye at the plate and can't wait to impart his knowledge. Soto still holds records for the most HR, RBI, runs, games, and total bases for the franchise. 

Joining the Hi-A Hoboken Crooners, is former workhorse and debut Pitching Coach, José 'Twinkle Toes' Cruz. Cruz still holds the franchise record for wins, games started, complete games, shutouts, innings pitched, and less excitingly; losses, hits allowed, and walks allowed. Cruz pitched all 9 years of his professional career with the Hitmen, and while he was not a lights out force on the mound, he was your everyday workhorse who could be counted on for 30+ games a season. 

One final surprise return is former utility infielder, Lee Kohler who had a couple break out years in New Jersey but mostly spent his time as a utility player for the team from 2011-2018. Kohler returns as a Lead-Analyst for the squad after running a blog and sports twitter page from his hometown of Livermore, California. With the return to the big show, New Jersey has pulled out all the stops to bring in some big names from their heyday to help bring the lapsed fans back to the stadium as some fans gave up on the squad when they left for the World Independent League despite more success at that level.

The Hitmen will begin the 2035 season on April 2nd against former WIL rival and once again IL rival, the Gloucester Fisherman. The match up will be a quick return for recently traded ex-Fisherman stars, CF Mark Anderson, LF Kazunari Ito, C Lee Ray, 3B Andrew Dunkley, SP Shinkichi Hasegawa who hope to make a big impact on their new squad. New Jersey and Gloucester are on opposite paths to start the 2035 season as New Jersey hopes to make an instant impact in their former division while Gloucester has set themselves up for a long rebuild focusing on their future first. 2035 should be an exciting reintroduction for both franchises.

- The Newark Times
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mercer County Waterfront Park Sees Expansion in 30th Year

#13 Post by Hitmen »

February 13th, 2036: Newark, NJ

After an inaugural return season that saw the Hitmen post their franchise's second highest attendance record ever at 4,017,587 in attendance, and falling short of expectations with a 77-85 record, owner Bernardo Francisco 'Beppo' Antollini declared that he was expanding Mercer County Waterfront Park so that more of the great fans of New Jersey can enjoy the return of the Hitmen to the Planetary Extreme Baseball Association.

To help commemorate the big stadium build out as well as the return of New Jersey to PEBA, Antollini released a special 30th Anniversary logo of the franchise and original PEBA team which harkens back to the old gold and black logos of the early 2010’s. There are also rumored plans to bring more of the old gold coloring back into the franchise as well as the Hitmen look to appeal to a broader audience and drive merchandise sales.

The stadium update is a big win for the Hitmen, as Antollini has dished out enough to expand another 10,000 seats in the outfield and an expansion of the upper deck seating as well, not to mention improved bathrooms and concessions. Early expectations see attendance at about just over 55,000 per game with early season ticket sales numbers growing by the month as we head towards Spring Training.

The Hitmen are an improved team this coming year with the acquisition of CF Eugenio Domínguez, corner IF John Lightbody, and RF/DH Tomás Martínez. The bullpen can also expect an additional boost from the return of RP Gideon Byrd who returns after 8 months from a torn rotator cuff, and the acquisition of RP Félix Reyes and RP José Romero. Byrd has been working on strengthening his arm and getting back in throwing shape for the coming season where he hopes to prove he was worth the investment from New Jersey. Byrd is entering year 2 of his 3 year, $12.75 million contract.

Antollini believes the retooled former WIL roster may now have enough pieces to make a return to the PEBA playoffs for the first time since the 2017 season. While New Jersey went to the playoffs in 6 of their 11 WIL seasons with two championship wins, the goal is to once again be an annual PEBA playoff team as according to Antollini, “That is where the money is at!”

I don’t know if the Hitmen are ready to be more than a mosquito to a top heavy Imperial League that has seen West Virginia and Florida win 5 of the championships in the last 6 years, with San Juan keeping the Championship in the IL in the 2031 season, emphasizing the league’s dominance within PEBA and that the IL really does rule.

We will keep an eye on your favorite franchise’s progress this coming 30th Anniversary season with a new section within the PEBAlmanac covering each series this year. I look forward to bringing you more updates as they arrive.

– @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

New Jersey Shuffles the Bench

#14 Post by Hitmen »

March 10th, 2036: Newark, NJ

As spring training arrives at our doorstep, New Jersey GM Michael Czosnyka and Manager, Hugh MacLardy make the long-rumored move official. The former ace-outfielder turned manager Ieyoshi Ishikawa has been transitioned to bench duties of his former team after one season managing the ailing SS-A squad, Hilo Hoops.  Ishikawa's name still litters the Hitmen's batting record books despite being gone 15 seasons from the team and 9 from the league. He still stands as the most consistent force with 6 straight seasons patrolling Center out in Mercer County Waterfront Park. And while he was not able to bring much glory to the Hoops, he does have a knack with knowing how to teach the younger generation and guide them forward. That is what excited MacLardy the most about adding Ishikawa to his staff after the exit of Bench Coach Chance Hatcher.

With the young staff in New Jersey, guidance and a steady hand are needed to help mold the club back into the contenders they once were, and the Champions, they made themselves into during the WIL run.

Replacing Ishikawa in Hilo is another former Hitmen returned back into the fold, former SP/RP Bryant Duncan who like Ishikawa is making his managerial debut within Hilo. While pitching is his forte, baseball itself has always been his passion and he can't wait to give back to his former franchise as well. Through 15 seasons within PEBA, one can argue the 7 he spent in New Jersey were the highlight of his career and the ones he will remember the most fondly, as it was during his time in New Jersey that the standout reliever got a chance to show he could be a starter just as well, putting together a 47-28 record in 104 starts. Despite his stellar starting performance, Duncan would go on and return as strictly a reliever for the remainder of his career and polished off a solid career with a 103-78 record with 82 saves, a career 3.21 ERA, and 1,305 strike outs. Duncan brings a lot of game experience to the franchise, and we are excited to have back another standout Hitman.

Ishikawa has been quick to dive right into his work as the new Bench Coach and has immediately gotten himself familiar with all of the new faces he hopes to mold.

"There are some good kids here, good talent. We have veterans like Chris 'Liver' Pate, and eager youngsters like Young-jae Yi. There is competition everywhere. I'm really hoping to help some of our young bats though. 'Horror Show' struggled last year, but I hope to get him to trust himself like I do. The veterans aren't always going to be here to lead the way and one day these kids will be the veterans, so I want the kids to step up. I need Denis Johnson to become 'The Don' and take control of the outfield and this lineup. I need him to understand he is the future of this club along with others like Chan-su 'Prick' Chang and Mark Anderson. So, I made Denis an offer he couldn't refuse... win an All-Star nod this year, and a new car was on me. I am going to force him to be the star we all think he can be."

Johnson and others will have the leadership of recent acquisition Tomás Martínez to lean on, as well as veterans like Lee Ray, Kazunari Ito, and Marvin Miller. The pieces are there, maybe not to take West Virginia's place, but at least to have an all-out brawl in the ever-competitive wild card picture of the IL.

– @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Hitmen »

Monday, April 6th, 2038

While construction started after the end of the 2037 season, the renovations for two new 500 seat luxury outfield seating areas have been completed at Mercer County Waterfront Park. This puts the park at a seating capacity of 65,000 Hitmen fans. The finishing touches were completed just in time for their 4-game series against the Florida Farstriders who are coming into New Jersey on a rare 4-game losing streak at the hands of the London Underground.

New Jersey set a new franchise attendance record last season with 4,357,957 in attendance, beating out their previous record of 4,188,852 set in 2017. These updates, along with more coming this next offseason are aimed to continue to attract more fans to the great stadium within New Jersey.

Built into the left field outfield wall, the new 'Bow-Tie Lounge' is an ultra-swanky whiskey bar with floor to ceiling windows showing the action from left field. The lounge is more laid back with leather seating areas made for dining and custom beverages while you enjoy the game, as well as high top and bar seating. Don't worry if you don't manage to get a coveted, and expensive, glass seat, the lounge also comes equipped with 30 large, yet tastefully placed, tv screens to make sure no one misses out on the action, while not lessening the atmosphere of the swanky lounge.

The right field also received a nice outdoor area, labeled the 'Bespoke Bowler' for its large black umbrellas shaped like bowler hats, which can sit 500 individuals in a custom area back in right field that is more about the experience, and less about the view. While tv screens will keep you apprised of the game, this is truly an area made to relax outdoors and enjoy more custom drinks and a nice cigar. The more secluded area allowed for some loopholes to be met, allowing for the highly monitored smoking experience within the stadium. Extra care was taken to ensure other stadium goers would not be subjected to the cigar smoke or smells.

These new high-end seating areas we are told are part of the new marketing plans by owner Bernardo Antollini to bring in a higher class of clientele and fans to the Hitmen stadium. There are even rumblings of more changes to come this next offseason as the franchise continues to replant itself within PEBA and bring eyes back to New Jersey.

More news will come as the season progresses as Antollini stays busy looking for new marketing for the home of the Hitmen.

– Lee Kohler, PEBAlmanac Contributor: Former New Jersey Hitmen IF, @alleatherKohler
Michael Czosnyka

Return to “New Jersey Hitmen”