2008 MLB Amateur Draft

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

2008 MLB Amateur Draft

#1 Post by John »

The 2008 MLB Amateur Draft will be held this Thursday and Friday. Like last year, the first round will be broadcast on ESPN2. Traditionally the MLB draft has gotten a lot less attention than the other major sports' drafts due to the fact that it often takes years for the players selected to make an impact. However, being that baseball is far and away my favorite sport, it's always been my favorite draft. I therefore try to keep up with some of the more important players slated to be picked.

My question for you guys is this: Do you have a particular player you're hoping your favorite team will draft in the first round? My team is the Indians and they pick #29 overall. That far down in the first round, I'm looking to take a chance on a player with high-level talent who falls due to signability concerns. The guy I've got my eyes on is Sarasota HS SS/RHP Casey Kelly. I'd be looking at him as a SS despite the fact that he's tall (6'4") for the position. Scouting reports say he has the athleticism to stick at the position. While he hasn't displayed big power yet, at just 190 lbs. there's room for him to add muscle. He's the son of former big leaguer Pat Kelly, and while it's not a big deal to me I know some people like the "bloodlines" angle.

The big concern with Kelly that may cause him to slip is his scholarship to play quarterback at the University of Tennessee. Now I know the Indians haven't been big on drafting high schoolers or going too much over slot (and it will certainly take an over slot offer to lure him away from Tennessee) in recent years, but given the lack of impact talent in their minor league system I think Kelly would be a good gamble. How about you guys? Whom do you hope your favorite team selects?
Sandgnats (Bill)

#2 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

CONGRATS Indians fans!
Your team is the proud owner of 3B-Lonnie Chisenhall. A proud history of burglary and larceny under his belt. Tell the Cleveland's Rookie league affiliate's coaching staff to watch their wallets! :-o

Well, that was only round 1, I'm sure it'll get better!
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

As said at LGT: "I don't want to be judged by who I was at 18, either." I'm confident that if the Indians feel it's not an issue, it isn't.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

Also! He's one helluva ballplayer.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

I'm willing to give the humorously named Chisenhall a second chance. However, I am disappointed the Indians didn't opt for my boy Kelly, who went one pick later to the Red Sox. Both players had "issues" that caused them to drop... I'd just rather be dealing with Kelly's issues than Chisenhall's.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

Was it signability for Kelly? (too lazy to look it up)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Yeah, he has a scholarship to play quarterback at Tennessee and can use that as leverage to get a higher than slot contract. Plus he's a high schooler, and of course the Indians haven't been big on drafting high-round high schoolers in recent years.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”