2008 Peba Draft

Paul Moots

#31 Post by Paul Moots »

Calzones wrote:SP Leonard Martin - 1* across. Most of my scouts say he won't get past AAA. One scouts says he won't get past A ball. And SISA says prepare the Kleenex for draft day. All he has done this year is go 6-2 2.63, in 11 starts. Having a babip of .230 is probably helping. He doesn't do anything special and doubt I would give him a second look if it weren't for the stats.

MR Oscar Sheppard - 1* all the way. 2-1, 2 saves, 1.42 era, 23 relief appearances. Scouts all say he has control but not much else. SISA agrees. Has low endurance, but high intelligence.

MR Ricardo Fernandez - 1-1 1.44 in 21 appearances. Scouts say he might have enough control to escape AAA long enough to get his brains beaten in at the PEBA level. Strong endurance, he should be starting. And decent intelligence. Gets a lot of groundball outs.

Bill Hill - 3 saves, 2.57, 16 games, 1 start. Scouts say he might crack AAA someday. But just 18, decent work ethic.

MR Alberto Vazquez - 2-0, 2 saves, 2.37. Has control and stuff to pitch in the majors, but not the movement. Very good k/w ratio each of the last two years, and good work ethic and intelligence.
I am sure I will sound foolish asking this, but how do you find what your scouts are saying, or are you just making this assumption?
Matt
VIP
VIP

#32 Post by Matt »

I speak with them through telapathy.

Actually, I base my assumptions on what level based on the ratings the scouts are giving me. I have certain criteria that I use as a baseline for each level. I just match the potential ratings to my own criteria to judge what a players ceiling is probably going to be.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by John »

I should add that in OOTP 9 you actually will be able to see what your scouts are saying about a player. Full written reports will be included along with the ratings. Just one more thing to look forward to!
Matt
VIP
VIP

#34 Post by Matt »

Interesting players floating around later in the draft.

3b Spencer Burgess - he might hit for some average, and the defense isn't bad. A tiny bit of speed and some intelligence. Just 18, so room to grow. Now, he had a 25 game hitting streak in HS. Won a Championship in HS. Gut hunch this kids a winner with more under the hood than what the scouting reports are showing.

SS Ben Proctor - teammate of Burgess at Cy-Fair HS. The defense is so good, hard to overlook. The bat projects as a utility infielder, but has hit well in HS and just 18, room to grow. Has a championship under his belt.

SP Bo Hancock - I keep coming back and looking at this guy. I have one scout that likes him a bit, but he's not good with pitchers. Rest of the scouts think he's borderline AAA fodder. Intelligence and work ethic are great, and has good endurance. SISA thinks he might be a bottom of the rotation type for a second division team. Pitched a 2 hit shutout this year, and won IF HS Western Conference Pitcher of the Month Award for April.

CF Art Young - scouts don't think much of him, but has speed, defense. SISA thinks he's borderline major league material if he can just improve the plate discipline a little. Has championship with Memphis last season.

LF Matt Collins - a poor man's Art Young. Scouts rate him similiarly to Young, but SISA says AA if he's lucky. Less speed and less defense, but good intangibles. And won a championship at Memphis last year.

2b Colby Haynes - SISA thinks he'll be a decent contact hitter with a chance for regular playing time at the PEBA level. Scouts generally think he tops out around utility infielder. Scouts do not rate his glove all that well, but he won the Col Glove Wizard award at 2b last year.

C Glenn Wright - I've detailed him elsewhere. The glove doesn't show much but he's just 18. Perfect 100 on both intelligence and work ethic. Should hit, but lacks plate discipline. Won championship at Cy-Fair HS last year. It's not really a secret, this guy is the sleeper longshot catcher at the back of the draft. Who gets the itchy trigger and snags him?

SS Eugene Abbott - scouts think his bat might be utility infielder level. Has glove skills but needs polish. Has a little speed, but terrible intangibles. Just 18, the glove and bat could improve, but his makeup might hold him back. Won Glove Wizard award at SS in HS in 2007.

CL Robert Small - scouts as borderline PEBA level, though more likely to spend a good chunk of his career in the minors. Endurance low, but just 18, and induces a lot of groundballs. Selected to HS AS game in 2008.

2b Julio Lara - scouts and SISA agree, might hit enough to produce decent average, but lacks plate discipline. Has skills with glove but needs polish. Just 18 and those things could improve. Good intelligence. Won HS Glove Wizard Award at 2b in 2007.

1b Jim McNiven - bat projects as utility infielder. Some speed and no power would say utility infielder. Size says 1b and he's just 18 and going to get bigger. Has gap power, so maybe he develops that long ball stroke down the line. Glove skills are there, just needs polish. Won HS Glove Wizard award at 1b in 2007.

C Robert Underwood - all the scouts and SISA think he will hit for a decent average, but no power. Glove doesn't show much and the lack of power sort of rules out DH. Looks like a decent candidate to convert to OF or 1b, but again we come back to lack of power and lack of speed. All he does is hit, or at least the scouts think so. But he has had all of ONE at bat in two seasons at Memphis, so not much to go on. But was part of the College World Championship team last year with Memphis.
Paul Moots

#35 Post by Paul Moots »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:I should add that in OOTP 9 you actually will be able to see what your scouts are saying about a player. Full written reports will be included along with the ratings. Just one more thing to look forward to!
You should be more of a promoman bro! :D
Matt
VIP
VIP

#36 Post by Matt »

An often overlooked part of analyzing a player - SIZE

Trust me on this, I've been through all the PEBA rosters. You rarely want to draft a batter under 6 foot tall. Maybe a second basemen, but that is probably about it. The Bob Peterson's of the world are very few and far between. Even the second basemen you probably want to be at least 5'11" if possible. There are a handful like Glen Gainey showing some productivity at a smaller size at 2b, but still rare. There are some catchers in the 5'10 to 5'11'' range as well. Grabbing a guy under 5'10" you are really going into the wind.

These are the guys I would have the most concern about due to size issues. I skipped over middle infielders, catchers, and marginal players.

LF Luis Torres 5'9 185 lb. And projecting as a 5* power hitter as an 18 yr old?

LF Javier Reyes 5'10 185 lb. 5* power hitter again? Size might be an issue.

RF Michael Burton 5'10 185. A lot of tools according to the scouts, but size an issue here.

1b Al Edwards 5'9 170. Really small for a corner infielder.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#37 Post by Matt »

Pitcher size matters as well. You'll be hard pressed to find many pitchers under 5'10 having success. And under 5'9, there are only about 4 in the entire league. As a general rule, I would stick to 5'10 and above.

What pitchers in this draft might be risky because of size?

Alex Elias 5'6 190 (should be nicknamed Butterball)

Enrico Rosado 5'8" 200. Considered a top closer. Red Flag on the size

Kevin Mack 5'8 180 considered one of the better middle relievers. Small size and terrible year this year make 2 red flags on this guy

Dave Quinn 5'8 205

Bobby Jackson 5'8 190

Joe Baker 5'8 180 Another of the top middle relievers
Matt
VIP
VIP

#38 Post by Matt »

An interesting back of the draft type of player.

2b Jaime Gomez- bat rates as utility infielder at best. A little gap power. Can play anywhere on the infield. What makes him interesting is that he already has a 71 range rating in the outfield, meaning he could be converted into a jack of all trades utility player fairly easily, just get him some playing time in the OF. Now will he ever hit enough to be useful? He does have a decent work ethic.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#39 Post by Matt »

A couple more interesting back of the draft types.

3b Jorge Guzman - great infield defense already, and has a 66 range and 33 arm in the outfield. Bat projects as utility player at most, his stats are terrible at UCF, and his intangibles are bad. Still, can be turned into a jack of all trades type, making his at least marginally or momentarily interesting.

SS Paul Thomspon - I actually have a couple of scouts who love this guy, but I don't trust their opinions as much as I trust the scouts who say utility player. Already has decent defensive skills on the infield, though I would be more inclined to play him at the corners. An outfield range of 65 and an arm of 32 suggests he could make himself more valuable to the team. An 88 work ethic helps.

1b Luis Pimentel - very good infield defense already, and decent outfield range as well making him a candidate to play more positions. Bat very weak and the intangibles mediocre. Some speed would help his cause but he doesn't have any.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#40 Post by Matt »

Since I don't have a stake at the top of the draft, let's talk about some players who I would be considering in the first round or so. These are in no particular order.

Naturally, Marcus Hancock up top. I just think he's the real deal and can not get passed up.

2b Rafael "BINGO" Suarez - can flat out rake. Is going to be the best hitting second basemen in the league if he reaches full potential. And he will draw monstrous amounts of walks. Has some decent speed, and defense is above average though not spectacular. Decent work ethic and strong leadership ability. If there's anything to knock him for, it's a lack of intelligence, but that didn't stop Roberto Alomar.

2b Pedro "DUCK" Maldanoda - Just 18, so a lot of upside yet. But that's also a drawback if you need help soon, because "DUCK" will take some time to get cooking. Not quite the projected hitter that Suarez is, but at just 18 the scouts could have less of a read on him than they do the 21 year old Suarez. Defensive skills are there but need polish. Has enough speed to be annoying. Above average in both intelligence and work ethic, making him a decent gamble.

SP Miguel "SUGAR BEAR" Garcia - Has the stuff to be dominant, but weak on endurance and has just three pitches. Can approach 3 digits on the gun. I'm thinking "SUGAR BEAR" could be a DOMINANT closer. Decent work ethic and strong leadership ability complete a pretty decent package. His control is pretty far along and he might not need to start too low in the minors, maybe a quick stop at High A to get his feet wet before finishing the season at AA.

3b Ralph Gunther - power hitting 3b who is a pretty good package overall. Defense is very good with great range at 3b. Hard worker with decent intelligence. Has no speed, but will be a major thumper so who cares. Some falloff in his numbers this year might be a concern. Only other knock is he lacks a cool nickname.

SP Leland "HAMMER" Tatum - Great control and great endurance. Will be a stud at the top of the rotation. Great intelligence and good work ethic. Doesn't burn up the radar gun, but pitches intelligently. Has great speed as well, not that there is any way to put it to use.

3b Joe Silver - another 3b who lacks a colorful nickname. Bland guys these third basemen. Has some serious thump in his bat, and plays a great 3b with a HOWITZER for an arm. Huge jump in his production this season, and good intelligence. Can't knock him for the speed because you only need to know how to pose and trot when your a masher. Not much work ethic might be the other little ding against him.

3b Chris "Trapper" Holmes - finally a 3b with a cool nickname. Only if you draft him he is moving over to second base. Defensively he is great at second, and his arm is too weak to play 3b. Hitting potential approaches that of Suarez and Maldanoda, but he lacks the speed to go with it. Decent work ethic, great leadership ability, good plate discipline.

Back with more later.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#41 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:2b Pedro "DUCK" Maldanoda - Just 18, so a lot of upside yet. But that's also a drawback if you need help soon, because "DUCK" will take some time to get cooking.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Tyler »

This is proving difficult for me as well - trying to figure out what guys are actually going to fall to me near the end of the first round. Which reminds me - I should rank some more players tonight. :D

Not yet done with the hitters, and haven't taken more than a cursory glance at the starters yet. :-o

EDIT: Did the game notify you, commish, of the compensation pick signings? I want to make sure I don't loose out on my bonus second-rounder. :twisted:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#43 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:EDIT: Did the game notify you, commish, of the compensation pick signings? I want to make sure I don't loose out on my bonus second-rounder. :twisted:
No, unfortunately I can't see those until draft day. OOTP could definitely do with some improvement in the are of draft compensation.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#44 Post by Matt »

Rating the positions - depth of the draft. One thing to keep in mind, these are only rated by what the player is listed at. The fact that some players will be in need of a position change may affect the 'true' depth of the position.

Catcher - my feeling is catcher is incredibly weak in this draft. My head scout only lists 3 catchers with a potential of 3.5 or higher. As I grade through the catchers, I just don't see much there that I like. I desperately need another catcher in my organization, but it might not happen this year.

First Base - very deep position. 13 players rated 3.5 stars or better. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up a decent first basemen in the first couple of rounds if that is what your after.

Second Base - top heavy position. 8 players rated 4 star or better, but then a quick dropoff to virtually nothing as far as multistar potentials.

Third Base - sort of deep, with 11 players rated 3.5 or better

shortstop - sort of average depth, 8 players rated 3.5 or better

Left field - 10 players rated 3.5 or plus

Centerfield - 8 rated 3.5 or better, but very deep position with a lot of multistar potentials below 3.5

Right field - 5 rated 3.5, with very little depth beyond that. Weak position.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#45 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:An often overlooked part of analyzing a player - SIZE

Trust me on this, I've been through all the PEBA rosters. You rarely want to draft a batter under 6 foot tall. Maybe a second basemen, but that is probably about it. The Bob Peterson's of the world are very few and far between. Even the second basemen you probably want to be at least 5'11" if possible. There are a handful like Glen Gainey showing some productivity at a smaller size at 2b, but still rare. There are some catchers in the 5'10 to 5'11'' range as well. Grabbing a guy under 5'10" you are really going into the wind.

These are the guys I would have the most concern about due to size issues. I skipped over middle infielders, catchers, and marginal players.

LF Luis Torres 5'9 185 lb. And projecting as a 5* power hitter as an 18 yr old?

LF Javier Reyes 5'10 185 lb. 5* power hitter again? Size might be an issue.

RF Michael Burton 5'10 185. A lot of tools according to the scouts, but size an issue here.

1b Al Edwards 5'9 170. Really small for a corner infielder.
I'm going to be testing this theory. Not only did I draft Burton and Edwards, but I also selected another 3 players (C Hendershot, CL MacComie, 1B Williams) who are 5'10" or under. And what's interesting is I didn't just discount height and weight; I noted it for all my potential draftees. But ultimately I favored other factors over a player's build, and the end result just happened to be a very short draft class.

So will my merry band of dwarves produce or fall flat on their long, white beards? I'll get my first chance to find out Tuesday night.

Return to “League News and Articles”