Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

Castle Fires Back, Claims Union Politics

#1 Post by Board of the PEBA »

Front page version

Castle Fires Back, Claims Union Politics
Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger

November 7, 2032: Ashville, North Carolina – PEBA Commissioner ‘Harry’ Castle responded harshly in response to comments made by the ‘still carrying the new car smell’, ‘newly minted’ PEBA Players Union president, Brandon Johnson.

Johnson, a long-time minor leaguer in the Crystal Lake system, who played in 539 games – mostly for Canton and Aurora (a key fixture in Aurora’s 2030 PEC appearance), was an unanimous selection to succeed the gentlemanly Jim Klein. Upon his election, Johnson instantly went on the attack against ‘the establishment’ – especially against the Commissioner, saying, "PEBA's owners, its Commissioner and his henchmen on the board are flush with cash. They need to pay up if they expect us to continue to play. We haven't had a raise in over a decade."

“We have tried to get the Union to come to the table with a fair-bargaining stance,” Castle said in a prepared statement from PEBA HQ. “We recognize that it’s been a longer than desired period between financial agreements, but if the Union continues to play hardball, the PEBA and it’s players will never have a solid plan. We will move ahead with our own plans and hold unilateral discussions with the major media outlets.” He went on to suggest that in the end, if the players were not happy, they need look no further than their own leadership. The bottom line is the Union has mischaracterized our stance, as described in Howard Heskin’s piece from last night.

When asked in the post-speech press conference if he feared the players striking, he replied, “Before the demise of Major League Baseball, once the players had unionized, they barely went more than 10-years without a strike. PEBA will be entering their 27th season come April. We have avoided walk-outs because of good faith on both sides – and not one side resorting to political ploys.”

That last comment seems a flat out dig at Johnson and the political aspirations of his infamously more famous father – Duane ‘The Rock’ Johnson, who hopes to be elected to the Presidency on Election Day (this Tuesday). Amongst his platform points, ‘President Rock’ has made it a point to improve ‘work conditions and pay for union-based entertainment workers’. By definition, that includes ballplayers. Johnson the Elder also called out the Commissioner, tweeting , “Where are you? Where is our leader? Where is our leader at this time when our beloved baseball players are down on their knees, begging, pleading, hurt, angry, frustrated, in pain with its arms out, just wanting to be heard... and paid fairly?” Castle’s response was that the Presidential hopeful was ‘grandstanding for political gain.”

“The Union has a big ask. They want it now. We have a more modest, what we feel is a more sustainable, plan – one that rolls out over a few years – starting in 2034 – allowing our new expansion brothers Tempe and Niihama to prepare their rosters further without added, unexpected, expenditures, and similarly, with any future expansion – definitely no sooner than 2035. The players are all about ‘Show me the money’, while we are about League sustainability.”
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Castle Fires Back, Claims Union Politics

#2 Post by KenH »

Good old Harry Castle, sticking up for the common man against the unruly asks of a power hungry horde of overpaid bloviating has-beens! Johnson's obviously just jealous he wasn't able to find a job. Sounds like a "him" problem... Jim Klein was able to find a job without issue!
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Klein was a shill for the man!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by KenH »

Sandgnats wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 pm Klein was a shill for the man!
Klein is a good ball player! It's pretty telling that the best the players' union could do is a 36 year-old, 2.9 career WAR never-was! What a joke. If I were a betting man (I am), I'd take the under on even a nominal 10% raise!

I'm all for having a worth-while discussion about the PEBA labor situation, but this can't be their best. Do the players have some ulterior motive? Maybe when Johnson gets taken to the cleaners they can cry to the press? :-?
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Farstriders wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:34 pm
Sandgnats wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 pm Klein was a shill for the man!
It's pretty telling that the best the players' union could do is a 36 year-old, 2.9 career WAR never-was! What a joke. If I were a betting man (I am), I'd take the under on even a nominal 10% raise!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#6 Post by Sandgnats »

Farstriders wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:34 pm
"If I were a betting man (I am)"
Spoken like a Streets company man.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations