Under the Assault

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Under the Assault

#1 Post by Ghosts »

“JUST LISTEN TO THE MAN, YOU DUTCH IDIOT!” Galvan shouted as he tore off his mask and charged toward his own mound. Perhaps weary from failing to block yet another errant slider that skipped off the batter’s box dirt, the veteran catcher continued his mid-practice outburst, “Change one thing! Just one thing! Change your shoes for all I care but for the love of God, do something different! I’m too damn old to chase every other pitch your ridiculous delivery sends anywhere except the strike zone!”

“This does not concern you, catcher man! I will not be spoken to this way!” Vinnie de Brouwer announced in a thick accent as he folded his arms, closed his eyes, and turned his head away from the rapidly approaching Carlos Galvan.

There was little pitching coach Marvin Boone could do to reach de Brouwer on his horrendously flawed mechanics, and even less he was willing to do to stop the now enraged, 250 pound catcher currently preparing to initiate a text book tackle of the former number one draft pick. Boone took a half step back and watched the collision with amusement. The chirping sound Vinnie made as contact was violently and unexpectedly initiated gave Boone the fuel he needed to burst into laughter.

“You are NOT good at this! You could be if you would listen!” Galvan grabbed de Brouwer by the collar and shook the pitcher mightily.

“Please halp me! I am under the assault!” de Brouwer shouted meekly as he was shaken. Galvan, lightened by the pathetic response, switched to a one-handed grip so that he could use the other to emphasize his points with the types of playful slaps he hadn’t utilized since he was in middle school.

“YOU,” Galvan swatted, “NEED,” repeatedly striking the top of his teammate’s head and shoulders, “TO LISTEN TO A DAMN COACH.” As he released his grip and stood, he was struck by the lack of response. Though it wasn’t necessary to cease the attack, Galvan was a little surprised that no one had even approached the mound to break up the scuffle. His manager, in an apparent vote of approval, donned a pair of headphones and turned toward the dugout.

“That’ll be enough out of both of you,” Coach Boone announced, physically wiping the smile from his face as he motioned for Galvan to return to his stance. The coach suppressed the urge to repeat the attack as he watched de Brouwer wipe tears from his face.

Galvan briefly felt a surge of guilt as he saw his manager, and entire team, leave the beleaguered pitcher to street justice. He was able to suppress it, but not before catching a disapproving look from Seishiro Kokura.

Galvan lost track of the incident and continued about the practice, catching the very occasional offering from Ernest Singleton as the soon-to-be-retired pitcher chatted with Coach Boone. During a particularly long break, Galvan slowly became aware of an increasingly heated argument in the dugout. He stood and watched as Seishiro Kokura danced around his bench coach to continue making whatever his point was to a clearly disinterested “Bingo” Suarez. In another year, on another team, Galvan would have cared about this. Here and now, as he stood and watched, he felt completely detached. Several more of his younger teammates began to join in the growing foray. Very little could be heard clearly from Galvan’s vantage point, but he took note of a few particularly pointed lines:

“I only take complaints from people that can hit over .200 and I only take apologies from players that can't hit .150."

“I can too manage my way out of a paper bag, I just can’t manage to identify your talent.”

“I honestly don’t know what your name is.”

“Ten to one I could outhit almost all of you – especially with ole Vinnie on the mound.”

Galvan felt a twinge of compassion for Kokura, but as he saw the members of the mob surrounding his manager, he decided he was on Bingo’s side here. There’s no crying in baseball.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Under the Assault

#2 Post by Borealis »

Is Vinnie the #1 pick charm?? Maybe he can be had for a kings ransom guarantee a #1 pick!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by DrewV »

Good old Carlos. Very entertaining, Dan!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Ghosts »

Statesmen wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:15 pm Good old Carlos. Very entertaining, Dan!
Thanks Drew!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current

Return to “League News and Articles”