Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Scottish Scoops 31.008 August Almanac

#1 Post by Vic »

Scottish Claymores
2031 Almanac: August

Narrative

If the Claymores seemingly awoke in July, by August they seemed a bit droopy eyed again. Scotland won in the double digits again and posted its longest winning streak of the season, but its monthly won-lost record slipped a bit.

But not enough to put them back in the running for the first draft pick. By then, Duluth, Yuma and other contenders were shouldering the Claymores aside.

At least, fans could console themselves, they didn’t tank.

They should have, but they didn’t.

Sigh.

How Things Stood
W-L Record for August: 11-18, .379
Overall Record: 44-91, .326
Longest Winning Streak in August: 3
Longest Losing Streak in August: 5
Position in Standings as of August 31: In 5th place in the Trans Atlantic Division, 42 games behind Havana

Team Hitting Leaders
AVG: Jim Fox, OF: .275
OBP: Jim Fox, OF: .344
Slugging: Jim Fox, OF: .399
HR: Rod Rogers, OF: 17
RBI: Rod Rogers, OF: 56
SB: Bernardo Alvarado, 2B: 35

Team Pitching Leaders
Wins: Keiji Honda and Carlos Pérez tied with: 7
Losses: Miguel Heredia, 12
Saves: Keiji Honda, 22
ERA: Miguel Heredia, 3.38
K’s: Miguel Heredia, 117
WHIP: Curt Mills, 1.09
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Scottish Scoops 31.008 August Almanac

#2 Post by Ghosts »

There's little more frustrating than resigning yourself to having to tank, and then failing at that sad task. Scottish has a bevvy of young pitching talent and a strong leadership group, so these days are not likely to last too long. What's the timeline for the Claymores return to their electric 2028/29 form?
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by Vic »

Ghosts wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm There's little more frustrating than resigning yourself to having to tank, and then failing at that sad task. Scottish has a bevvy of young pitching talent and a strong leadership group, so these days are not likely to last too long. What's the timeline for the Claymores return to their electric 2028/29 form?
I'm hoping we can approach respectability in 2 seasons, and maybe start looking like something like a baseball team in 3. Realistically, though, it's probably a 4 or 5-season task. We've got a bit of talent brewing in the minors, but need a lot more. I want to get to the point where we have a farm system that's reliably supplying talent instead of having to rely on free agency and the occasional trade. No draft pick trades for the foreseeable future!

My one big joy was telling Jim Fox to stick his trade demand where the sun don't shine, and then run him out there every day to soak in the boos ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Ghosts »

He's been a platoon player for so long that he probably hated having to show up everyday that much more. Nice.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

Rod Rogers was the name of my barber when I was in elementary school. Always a fan of someone with 2 first names.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Scottish Claymores”