Balanced vs Division Biased Schedule

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Balanced vs Division Biased Schedule

#1 Post by Ghosts »

I wonder what the historical reasoning was for a schedule that features an even number of games played among all conference teams as opposed to one more like MLB, where we would face division opponents more often. I'm not sure one is better than the other, but it does feel a little "off" that Aurora plays Fargo and Shin Seiki as much as Bakersfield or Palm Springs. Am I the only one that feels that way?
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Balanced vs Division Biased Schedule

#2 Post by Alleghenies »

I like the balanced schedule.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Wind Dancers »

I agree with Greg, I enjoy playing against all of the teams in the SL a bit more.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

I'm not sure, really, as to the shifts the schedule has gone through - or even if there's been a shift in the past four seasons - I never paid it much attention outside of what September looked like and where those games with the Bears, 'Gnats and Evil Evas fell. And when I took over the reins, there were bigger issues on my plate than schedule. Reg is the schedule guru, and probably has a better idea of the schedule shifts during his tenure.

I'll say this - being somewhat a traditionalist, a division-heavy schedule seems sensible, but then again, having a heavy course of Yuma games would give, say, Aurora an edge, as far as seeding is concerned, over the Evil Evas, where Toyama as a last place team is a stronger foe - and with unbalanced divisions, those type of advantages are magnified.

I do want to say that I think, upon reflection, that in the early PEBA days, when we had two, 6-team divisions in each league, we had unbalanced schedules, but that once we absorbed the LRS teams and went to a three division set-up, we may have then gone to a more balanced schedule, for the sake of equity...?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Evas »

I forget what the history of it is, but I am OK either way. Balanced is a bit more fair overall per league, but it does make the division titles slightly less meaningful than they are in MLB.

Things were obviously much more concentrated in the LRS, playing the same teams over and over. I like the variety now.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Ghosts »

As the soon-to-be punching bag of the Rising Sun, a balanced schedule works out well for the Ghosts. I do think it would be fun to have, say, an extra pair of games per division opponent. With the expansions, I think it would be something worth consideration.
Dan Vail
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Arroyos »

I am constitutionally opposed to any schedule that imitates the old and defunct MLB. It's dead and gone, let it rest in ignominy. Our balanced schedule is more equitable than anything the former MLB ever devised (after they stupidly abandoned the 8 team leagues in 1961).
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#8 Post by Sandgnats »

I enjoyed that we had some key division matchups down the stretch in September that make it exciting to see who would make the playoffs.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Leones »

Its been really fun with more divisional games in schedule; especially at the end of the season.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Ghosts »

Leones wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:59 am Its been really fun with more divisional games in schedule; especially at the end of the season.
Patrick, right now each team faces each conference/league team the same number of times, regardless of division.
Dan Vail
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Leones »

I guess its a combination of how our schedule worked out this season and that I remember the divisional games more. Put me down for more divisional action throughout the season. :D
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Lions »

I think we should have a 60 game schedule and only play teams in our timezone, regardless of what league or division they're in.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Borealis »

Lions wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:52 pm I think we should have a 60 game schedule and only play teams in our timezone, regardless of what league or division they're in.
Hmmmmmm... 60 games v. Yuma? I could go for that...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Ghosts »

Lions wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:52 pm I think we should have a 60 game schedule and only play teams in our timezone, regardless of what league or division they're in.
*Looks around, sees Shin Seiki, Toyoma, and Neo Tokyo*

PASS
Dan Vail
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm
Hmmmmmm... 60 games v. Yuma? I could go for that...
I think Yuma would move our stadium to the west side of town so we’d be in the same time zone as Reno and Palm Springs.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”