My Sim Racing attempt : 2020/2021 Edition...

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My Sim Racing attempt : 2020/2021 Edition...

#1 Post by Reg »

Sooo....

.... last weekend, I did something I hadn't done in nearly a decade... I went WAY out of my depth racing-wise and competed in a big sim racing event, and wanted to share with you how this whole ordeal went.

I entered, along with my buddy Jared Meade, as a modest, probably even delusional 2-car team of thirty-somethings, in the "NDR GT2 Challenge". The field of drivers were some tough customers... in fact, one driver on the grid, Isaac Price, is an official F1 'eSports' driver for the Williams F1 team!

Given the talent level, even qualifying for this event wouldn't be easy, so Jared and I dove in head-first to see what would happen.

(We entered as team 'Angry Angus Racing', both sporting this snazzy green paint scheme)

As it turns out, I was slow
Just to give you some idea of the difficulty level : We knew the fastest lap in qualifying would be roughly a 1 min 52 second lap.

On the first night of testing I accomplished 2'00. Oh dear. Not exactly stellar, 8 seconds too slow. But, two more nights of getting my racing lines and braking points right I managed to bring it down to a 1'57 lap.

If I wanted to avoid making a fool of myself and/or missing the cut, I needed to bring that down to a 1'55 lap.

Thankfully, my more experienced team-mate Jared gave me tips later in the week (I have now exhaustively clocked 10 hours of practice at this point) and I can manage to pull off a qualifying lap in the 1'55.9 range. We then try and tweak my car setup. Remember that 1'55 is the bare minimum to even be respectable in this series. The slowest drivers can probably set 1'54 time trial laps if they really needed. Holy christ. I still need to work on this.

Eventually, my talent ran out and I maxed out somewhere at a 1'55 laptime. Thankfully, on qualifying day, I set my best lap ever of 1'55.10. That would be about as good as it would get. This doesn't sound like much, but man, I worked hard for 2 weeks to even get there and was PUMPED. Since my practice time ran out and race day approached, that's the best I could do.

Yes, I qualified 22nd in a field (penalty-adjusted) of 30, but I am pretty darn excited to have even accomplished this.

Here is the official starting grid, including me on Row 11 , starting 22nd, excited beyond belief by my modest 1'55.10 lap :

Here is a music montage of the event :

Here is the full broadcast of the event :

In the end, I started 22nd, and finished in the same respectable spot (out of 30), in a field and talent level I had no business being in. I'll take it!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: My Sim Racing attempt : 2020 Edition...

#2 Post by Lions »

Love this, Reg! What kind of setup are you running? Do you have a seat and everything or just a wheel and some pedals?
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Leones »

It appears that track limits are optional. :) Seriously though, an interesting field plenty of Finns and Brazilians. No drivers from US UK FRA or GER; that's interesting. Nice work on dropping those lap times! It's so frustrating to try and find those last few seconds when you think you've gotten everything out of the car you can.

That track looks fairly technical too. Lots of blind corners with elevation changes. Those are tough. Thanks for sharing this Reg! Are you going to do some more? Same track?
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Reg »

Lions wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 pm Love this, Reg! What kind of setup are you running? Do you have a seat and everything or just a wheel and some pedals?
Thanks!
I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to my wheel setup lol. My trusty combo is an off-the-shelf Logitech wheel and pedals, bolted to my home office desk with a single screen. Old school!

After seeing some guy win a NASCAR eSports event a few weeks ago with basically the same setup, I have convinced myself that if I can't win with this wheel, I won't win with those big time rigs either, so why spend the money! !+)
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Reg »

Leones wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 am It appears that track limits are optional. :) Seriously though, an interesting field plenty of Finns and Brazilians. No drivers from US UK FRA or GER; that's interesting. Nice work on dropping those lap times! It's so frustrating to try and find those last few seconds when you think you've gotten everything out of the car you can.

That track looks fairly technical too. Lots of blind corners with elevation changes. Those are tough. Thanks for sharing this Reg!
Yeaaaahhh track limits are more of a suggestion lol. But at least most tracks have natural deterrents to do so. That track, Aston North, is a bit more forgiving.

All tracks in this series are fictional, but are really well-designed. I love them.

Leones wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 amAre you going to do some more? Same track?
Yup, there is one more round left in the series, at a fictional track called the "Kyoto Ring". It's similar to this track... fast, flowing, lots of elevation ... and it incorporates a small portion of a large NASCAR-style tri-oval too :D
That race is in 2 Saturdays from now , on June 13th!

Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Lions »

Trendsetters wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 pmAfter seeing some guy win a NASCAR eSports event a few weeks ago with basically the same setup, I have convinced myself that if I can't win with this wheel, I won't win with those big time rigs either, so why spend the money! !+)
That seems perfectly reasonable!
Trendsetters wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 pmImage
This looks like someone tried to combine an oval with Suzuka using a sledgehammer. :grin:
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Leones »

I have that same wheel and pedal setup; in the basement! :) Had to upgrade to the G29 for the PS4 and I gotta say the brake response is infinitely better on the G29. I tried all sorts of trick with the old setup. Pipe insulation, bungee cords, anything to get some sense of feedback and none of really got the job done. The feedback on that old pedal just never communicated properly to my foot. The build quality of the G29 is improved too. Metal instead of plastic bits. Very much recommend it if your struggling with the brake feedback.
Patrick Hildreth

Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#8 Post by Fishermen »

Racing is one of my worst gaming genres ever so I am not huge on them(I do like motorsport manager) but I really like how the genre has developed digitally. Now top drivers of the world practice digitally so it's as close to reality as possible.

I am truly jealous of you and others who get to experience this hobby at a higher level.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

So, the 4th and final round is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. :D

The series can handle up to 38 cars :
- The Top 10 in points automatically qualify for the event
- All other drivers compete in a 'Pre-Qualifying' session, of which the top 28 make the cut.

Thankfully, we haven't reached a large enough field to start making cuts, so getting in was a formality.
( However, I will admit, it was satisfying to out-qualify my team-mate for the first time in 9 years :grin: )

Here is how "Pre-Qualifying" ended up :

If you wanted to see what the track looks like, here it is, onboard :

Secondary, TV angle :

Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Leones »

Nice work beating your teammate!
Patrick Hildreth

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Reg »

If anyone wants to watch the race, it is available here :

28 cars start the race
Here is the starting grid :

NOTE :
Qualifying starts at 4m 50s of the broadcast.
Race starts at 1h 20m 30s of the broadcast.

With championship leader Isaac Price entered in the Virtual 24 Hour of Le Mans race in the #3 Rebellion Williams LMP car on the same day, it looked like Joni Katila could become series champion instead, as long as he finished a modest 16th place.... and the main talking point was whether drivers can finish the ~1 hr 20 minute race on one set of soft tires without pitting ...

Our team went for soft tires and simply planned to pit, which meant we could drive a bit harder.
However, some of the top drivers decided to see if they could stretch a 'soft' set of tires all the way to the end of the 32-lap event ... let's just say the last few laps were chaotic!

Hard compound tires were really just too slow to be used by anyone .... with the exception of a few teams that used them as rear tires (allowed) if the soft tires were just too roasted in it's place.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#12 Post by DrewV »

This is great, Reg!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: My Sim Racing attempt : 2020/2021 Edition...

#13 Post by Reg »

For those that have been following my little virtual racing journey, 2021 brings a familiar challenge ... but this time it's gotten WAY more intense!

ImageImage

For the second consecutive year, my buddy Jared and I have entered the NDR GT2 Challenge, running our distinctive lime-green 'Angry Angus Racing' cars. Jared running #98, and yours truly entering car #59.

However, the GT2 Challenge series has picked up steam since last season, and is now SERIOUSLY packed to the lid with top-flight drivers.
There will be 6 rounds in 2021 --- run every second Sunday @ 1:40pm Eastern , starting this weekend.

As we are about to enter Round 1, there are nearly 80 drivers registered for the series ... and only 38 will be permitted to compete this coming Sunday.

To give you some idea of how competitive the field is, the drivers registered hold a combined 171 world records in different car/track combinations, and have clocked a combined 9 million miles in-game.

I think we finally did go way over our heads this time 8-o

In order to trim the field of 70+ down to 38 , there is currently an open,48-hour-long, Pre-Qualifying session available (CLICK HERE FOR THE LIVE TRACKER), ending on Saturday at 1pm Eastern.

All registered drivers can join, and the 38 fastest drivers on the time sheets will compete on Sunday. The rest go home.

As I post this, my personal best lap is currently good enough for 48th fastest (out of the 61 that clocked times so far), so I am right now on the outside looking in.
I plan to give it one more attempt tomorrow (Saturday) morning with a few setup tweaks that I have prepared ... but finding the 0.3 seconds I need ... in this environment ... will need a MONUMENTAL miracle!
My team-mate Jared is clinging to a qualifying spot right now , but even his spot on the grid is anything but guaranteed.

Note : the current top time of 1'39.73 set by Isaac Price is another new all-time world record for this track/car combination...

The races are broadcasted live with Simbroadcasts.tv, starting at 1pm Eastern on race day Sundays, (and, after the fact, up on Youtube). If I make it in ... somehow ... i'll let you guys know!
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Reg »

The fastest lap I was able to do in Pre-Qualifying

Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Reg »

With Pre-Qualifying coming to a close, I worked about as hard and put as much effort as I ever have in a virtual racing event ... but fell just short.

My time of 1 min 41.07 was just 1.3 seconds off of the world record set by Williams F1 eSports driver Issac Price... and left me in 45th place (with 38 making the cut).

I was a frustrating 0.13 seconds from qualifying for the event. Never has that small a time felt so big!!! It felt just out of reach, no matter what I did.

Even though I didn't make the grid, the race should be a crazy one ....
The question is whether anyone can stretch a soft ("R2") tire to the entire race .... so far, no one has been able to pull it off in practice and tires have been blowing up left-and-right. But, there is word that a cluster of drivers will go for it, convinced they can make it work! Others will either plan for a pitstop, or use the harder "R3" tire and run the distance.
The race is tomorrow, Sunday, at 1:40 pm Eastern at Simbroadcasts.tv :D
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”