Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Scottish Scoops: 30.005 "Free Agent Additions Arrive Just In Time"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
Claymores Beat Writer

The Edinburgh News

Claymores fan breathed at least a shallow sigh of relief after news broke April 4 that their team had – finally – signed some free agent help for the coming season.

Scottish General Manager Vic Caleca, speaking by Skype from his Central Indiana headquarters, announced that the team had signed starting pitcher Oniji Yokoyama to a 1-year contract for $8.5 million and center fielder Tomás Flores to a 4-year deal. Flores’ deal is worth a total of $11 million.

“We’re excited to welcome both of these players to the Claymores – both will fill critical roles on the team,” Caleca said.

Yokoyama in particular.

With the Scottish starting rotation decimated by injuries to Clark Snow and Allen Guthrie, the team had been patching things together with relief pitchers and minor league retreads.

Yokoyama, though, figures to move right to the top of the rotation.

Scouts grade him at 5/5 for “stuff”; 7/7 for pitch movement; and 7/7 for control. He has three above average pitches: a fastball, changeup, and splitter. Last season in West Virginia, Yokohama was 15-8 with a 3.55 ERA in 208 innings.

Pitching coach Diego Martinez said Yokoyama’s arrival was in the nick of time.

“We were starting to hemorrhage there – this should help quite a bit. And once Snow returns, our rotation may actually turn into a strength,” he said.

Flores, meanwhile, brings excellent defense to center field, along with solid hitting skills. Last season in Aurora, the left-hander slashed .263/.317/.348 in 117 games, and figures to pair well with the right-handed Teruo Nagai in center.

“We feel good, now, about our outfield, with Vincent Powell in left, Pat Barry in right, and Flores and Nagai in center. We’re a better team now than we were just a week ago,” Caleca said.

That, of course, might come under the heading of “damning with faint praise,” given that a week ago the team wasn’t exactly looking like a world beater.

Still, analysts agree that both of the new additions will be helpful.

The question going forward, of course, is how helpful.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Scottish Scoops: 30.005 "Free Agent Additions Arrive Just In Time"

#2 Post by Leones »

Those were nice addtions to the club. With Snow's return around mid season the Scottish should be in good trim again. ILATL is going to be a dogfight again in 2030 !+)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by DrewV »

Good moves Vic!

I was planning on snagging Flores after the draft, but in my heart I think I knew he wouldn't last.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Vic »

Warriors wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 pm Good moves Vic!

I was planning on snagging Flores after the draft, but in my heart I think I knew he wouldn't last.
I negotiated with him quite awhile before I finally reeled him in - good player. I'm glad to have him. I think you - and several others - had their eyes on him, Drew!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

I had thought about bringing him back - but being a comp eligible player, I hoped for the best... then I found Hutchins, who is off to a very good start...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “Scottish Claymores”