Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Scottish Scoops: 29.028 "Franchise Legends To Lead New Team in Khartoum"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
Claymores Beat Writer
The Edinburgh News

Can Scotland catch lightning in a bottle?

Claymores front office types certainly are trying: they’ve hired three legends from the early days of the franchise to lead their new Rookie League team, the Khartoum Raiders.

At a press conference Friday in the Sudan capital, Scottish Asst. GM Harry Kevern introduced the new Raiders braintrust:
  • Hitting Coach Kikugoro Memoto: a legendary slugger from the founding days of the franchise as the Fushigi Yugi Celestial Warriors.
  • Pitching Coach Kuniaki Matsumoto: a significant talent from the team’s first days in the PEBA when it played as the Dayton Flyers.
“It’s hard to even put in words how excited we are to have these legends of the game rejoin the Claymores family to guide our youngest players and help them launch their careers,” Kevern said. “Quite simply, this is a great day in Claymores history.”

Medrano made no secret that he sees this as a stepping stone to, eventually, managing the Claymores.

“Hey, I’ve enjoyed my media experience, but there’s nothing like putting on a uniform every day and coming to the ballpark knowing you’ve got a game on the line,” Medrano said.

“Believe me, I know I have a lot to learn, and I know (current Claymores Manager Hayato) Sasaki isn’t going anywhere soon. But when he’s ready to move on, I want the Claymores to know that managing my old team has been a dream of mine.”

Matsumoto, meanwhile, said he sees the job in Khartoum as a chance to give back to a game and a franchise that treated him well.

“Working with young players is a joy,” Matsumoto said. “I will relish this opportunity.”

Finally, Memoto said his motivation in taking the Raiders job was simple.

“I missed putting on the uniform everyday,” he said. “Baseball, for 15 years, was my whole life – and I have missed it every day since I stepped away in 2019. When (Claymores GM) Vic Caleca called me to discuss the opportunity, I did not hesitate.”

All three said they understand the talent level on the Raiders may be a bit thin to begin with, since the Claymores have traded away their top draft picks in the last couple of amateur drafts.

“That’s OK,” Medrano said. “Our job is to make the kids who come through here into better ballplayers. I look forward, in a year or two, to getting some more talent through the door, but we’ll be patient – and maybe we’ll surprise some folks”

Given that SS Hunter Greene – a 5th rounder who nonetheless was Scotland’s highest pick in the 2029 draft – is the most recognizable name on the Khartoum roster, any sort of winning campaign would be a surprise, indeed.

Still, Medrano and Co. will need any optimism they can summon in the months ahead – especially as they field a team of youngsters in the formidable desert climate of Khartoum.

“It will be warm, we know that,” Medrano said. “We’ve bought plenty of fans for the dugout.”

Since the average temperatures during the season will run in the triple digits, the Raiders may need more than fans.

But all of that is in the future. For now, the Claymores and their legendary stable of coaches can be forgiven a rush of optimism.

“Hey, this time of year, you’ve gotta be optimistic,” Medrano said with a laugh. “Everybody’s undefeated - even us!”
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Scottish Scoops: 29.028 "Franchise Legends To Lead New Team in Khartoum"

#2 Post by Leones »

Nice choices. Great to see the old names coming back around. :clap:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Scottish Scoops: 29.028 "Franchise Legends To Lead New Team in Khartoum"

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Nice! I'm looking forward to the African rivalry!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Scottish Claymores”