2029: Steaming down the tracks : Edition 3 Team Cuts Spending

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

2029: Steaming down the tracks : Edition 3 Team Cuts Spending

#1 Post by Alleghenies »

What is GM Abcarian thinking and doing? That is what the fan base is thinking currently. A big market team like West Virginia spends money, especially when their budget goes up, it doesn’t cut salary. That is exactly what GM Abcarian has done. Last season the team ended up with $198.1 million of players salary on the team, but If the season started today the team is only spending 132.9 million. One might get excited about free agency then, but he has come out and told people that he is not trying to sign but 1 free agent this off-season and even that person won’t be to a big contract. Is this an order from the owner?
“GM Abcarian has done a fantastic job over the years in keeping the salary of the team not too high to where we can’t make money. Last year might have ended in disappointment, I did not tell him to cut the budget. He has a long-term plan and feels that we don’t need to spend money, so I will back his decision. I can’t complain about making more money either, so it’s a win-win for me,” said owner.
“I can spend tons of money, but what would I sign? With our pen is full of great pitchers, 8 out of the 9 batter spots all occupied and the other is in good hands with Merkel behind the plate and a few guys ready to come up from minors to be in the rotation, where are the going to play if I sign them? Fuentes locked up the last spot in the outfield with his speed, fielding and power. So, the question then is how much do you want to play either a backup catcher or a utility IF that will play behind Henry Davis? I’ll be honest, I didn’t think Angel Valdez was going to opt-out of his contract, but we have Bartolo García back from injury and the following guys hopefully ready for the PEBA: Alfredo Reyes, Joe Russell, Seitaro Honda, Adam Pemberton and Jack Mundy. We also have Alfredo Zambrano to take over Paul Norris spot in the rotation. So, while I love our fanbase and a lot of times they are right to be angry with me, please tell me where I can spend that money?” said GM Abcarian.
When asked to address the rumors on Tony Velázquez being on the trade market, GM Abcarian was very honest.
“Tony is one of the best corner outfielders in baseball. He bats .300, hits about 20 homers a year with our crazy park and being right-handed, gets 20 steals and plays good defense. Oh yeah and he is underpaid at 12 million a year for the next couple years, so why would we want to trade him? Oh yeah, Javier Drake and Raúl García. Raul proved last year that he can play every day and Javier has nothing left to prove in the minors. So yes, we put Tony on the market, but only if we get a good price for him, otherwise next year, Tony, Raúl, Javier and Don will each get about 120 games and stay fresh. I know if I trade Tony people will get even angrier at the salary cutting we have done, but it is only because I am trading from a strength to keep WV viable in the long run.” said GM Abcarian.
“The owner ups the budget and we stop spending; crazy I tell you. I bet they even charge more this year for tickets. I may just have to root for Arlington,” one disgruntled fan exclaimed.
“Take, take, take. That’s all they do. It would be different if they won a pennant,” said long time season ticket holder, Thomas Hillebrand III.
“Not only do they say they aren’t spending they let Bingo Suarez go as manager in SA. GM Abcarian is a phony,” said 81-year-old Bertha Blythe.

Whatever the reasoning is, people aren’t happy with it and the only way to make them happy is win a Championship. Do they have enough to win one? Well they didn’t last year and this year they are losing some key pitchers from that team without proven replacements. This will be an interesting year for the Alleghenies to say the least.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia

Return to “West Virginia Alleghenies”