The Malthouse: Revolving Tap

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Canton Port Times

#16 Post by Lions »

The short term takes are great because then you can go back and see what you were thinking. Maybe down the line it looks much better for you, or maybe Berry falls apart and it's just treading water for both teams. Who knows?

I was inspired to look over my past draft picks as a result of this article, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just trade away all my picks every year. I'm not that good at drafting!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Hitmen »

I think I am the opposite, I do better drafting than trading most often. Happy to inspire more introspective reviews of everyone’s moves!
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Borealis »

Badgers wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:24 pm I was inspired to look over my past draft picks as a result of this article, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just trade away all my picks every year. I'm not that good at drafting!
I used to do a great job drafting (or so I thought), and then we shifted scouting mechanisms and I've just not been able to adjust - or maybe it was my long time scout jettisoning himself - either way, it's really been a hit and miss struggle on my end...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Leones »

Funnily enough I was perusing the Leoenes draft history to see how well those picks had been working out. Many names were immediately recognizable; suggesting that those guys were doing well. There were far too many 'why was that guy picked?' moments though. There seemed to be a correlation to those moments and how far back the draft was though, I think (hope) my drafting system has been improving in recent times. The 2030 draft was the result of a system overhaul so it's a bit early to be sure but it feels like we're headed in a good direction.

OOTP 21 will probably undermine all that work :-P (I hope not!) It will be really interesting to see how/if the draft pools change under the newer version when we get there. :geek:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Hitmen »

Yellow Tape and Unemployment Checks

Svab Memorial Stadium – December 11th, 2030

I knew it.. I had a feeling something was going on. I arrived early to Svab Memorial this morning to sit at my desk and research or relay any information to GM Michael Czosnyka as he will continue to try and push people out in order to “make the team better” in his eyes. I thought it was odd that he didn’t have me with him at the winter meetings like in the years past.. But I wasn’t expecting this.. THIS blind sided me. And I’ve been actively sneaking around trying to pay more attention and let the fans know what our ‘glorious leader’ is doing with the continued dismantling of the Longshoremen.

Yellow tape on the doors. Boarded up access points and windows. Chains and locks. The works… I am being told to go away.

Luckily, I have a few contacts in stadium security that I’ve been able to get inside. But I still can’t believe what I am seeing. Empty halls, empty work stations, empty offices. Dust gathering on the floor. Where are all of the janitor staff? Baseball’s been done only a couple months, but this looks like the apocalypse has driven through town and used Svab Memorial as it’s toilet. Marsten’s office is empty and bare. This does not surprise me. Between all the bickering, yelling matches, and late night crying sessions our owner William Marsten has had in the past year with GM Czosnyka, I am not surprised if he cracked and left. But what is this? Did he sell the team? I am just not getting it. I know between his fights and make up sessions with the GM, he’s been spending the majority of this time flying around the United States with Wendell Hart, formally of Gloucester. Looking for that next big ‘investment’. But all they ever talked about was breweries and beer. I thought Marsten wanted to get into the beer business. They’ve been over seas in Europe, Australia, through out the far east visiting some of the old PEBA teams that Hart’s Fisherman still play, to Arizona, Wisconsin, Florida, Illinois, and the list goes on and on. But that doesn’t mean anything specific…

But the real kicker.. the real punch to the gut.. is my cube is still here.. outside of the GM’s office. Clean, immaculate, and otherwise undisturbed.. a simple yellow sticky note on my laptop..

“You are no longer needed..” … with another sticky note under that one… “I know that you’ve been leaking information to the press..” and to make it official.. my termination papers sitting neatly on the desk. Wow.. so I’ve been left with the trash and dust mites here in Canton. I guess it’s time to go sign up for unemployment.. but I won’t let these bitter sweet tears go to waste! I will expose them! They haven’t heard the last of Jules Kamien! Former Personal Assistant to the second biggest idiot in Canton! But seriously… where is everyone? This is too weird.

– Jules Kamien (formally employed by Canton Longshoremen)
Michael Czosnyka

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#21 Post by Sandgnats »

True Frank... I've looked like the fool in the long run plenty of times... "Pedro Flores"
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Marsten Moves Canton to Madison

#22 Post by Hitmen »

Winter Meetings: Asheville Hotel Ballroom; Dec 15, 2030

The Malthouse Blog Logo.png

Wow, what a whirlwind for Canton Longshoreman fans. The big news first, Owner William Marsten IV has uprooted the team, to many seemingly out of no where, out west to Madison, WI. Madison, the former home of the Madison Cheeseheads, AAA squad of the Duluth Warriors, has gone from having no baseball team to inheriting a major league squad seemingly overnight.

Comments from Marsten during the presentation during the Winter Meetings brought to light that discussions started back in 2029 and really started to gain steam in the offseason. Marsten did spend a little bit of time traveling and researching new sites as he continues to focus on expanding his holdings, but fell in love Madison and the surrounding area and Breweries. Marsten mentioned that the franchise has agreed to partner with various breweries around the globe in their new rebranding in hopes of capturing a larger and more varied fan base. This shift started in 2030 with the new Rookie Club in Australia, the Melbourne Bitters who have partnered with the Carlton & United Breweries, makers of Victoria Bitters.

Marsten continues to push to rebrand his franchise and provide more of a singular focus on winning. Something the Canton team has not been able to do in the 24 year history of PEBA baseball. We consistently see old faces in new places succeeded with the change of scenery and this part of the approach Marsten took in his move to Madison. Whether they can win sooner rather than later is still up in the air as GM Czosnyka continues to make some interesting moves in a deep rebuild.

Not surprisingly, fans have been excited about the big changes and tickets have been selling like hot cakes.

The logo itself is an homage to a local brewery, New Glarus Brewing Company, located south-west of Madison.

The home jerseys themselves are now a classic white with green pin-stripes and a matching green cap. Away gear includes a maroon jersey with black and cream piping. The cap being a solid cream color with black logo.

Madison looks to start fresh with a new home, new look, and new feel. The big move wasn't the only moves happening during the Winter Meetings. Madison added another arm to the rotation with the acquisition of 32 year old righty, José Castillo.

They also moved back up catcher Mu-sang Ch'oe to the Palm Springs Codgers for 2B Charlie Liston and an 8th round draft pick in the upcoming draft. Moving from a position of depth for some depth in return looks like a win-win for both squads.

The big move though came in a trade between Madison and the Amsterdam Lions. Canton moved the #4 overall pick in the upcoming draft to the Lions in exchange for LF prospect, Pablo 'Mountain Man' Garza a big bat out of the Louisville High Fives and a 4th round draft pick. Garza, the #2 overall pick back in 2029 did not have much of an impact in his first year, but 2030 was a breakout year in the SS-A as he made an All-Star appearance, won the SS-A AL Platinum Stick Award at LF as well as SS-A AL Outstanding Hitter Award. Pablo is probably still a couple years away from breaking the line up in Madison, but he could make it up in line with other break out prospects such as Steve Overgaag, Guinn Leith, and Zach Adderley.

The most exciting news however, is that the Canton Port Times will live on as The Malthouse Revolving Tap! Continue to get your Madison news in the same spot you always have and tap into the Madison Malts for your baseball needs!

- Damson Actinon, The Malthouse: Revolving Tap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Czosnyka

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Borealis »

Great recap!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#24 Post by Sandgnats »

indeed! excited for you!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Malthouse Revolving Tap

#25 Post by Hitmen »

Madison Tweet 006.png

Madison goes on a Free Agency Blitz
Union Street, Across from the Malthouse Pub - February 22nd, 2031

It was the big move announcement at the Winter Meetings, followed by big waves in Free Agency, but business is booming in the new home of the former Canton Longshoremen. For a second year in a row, fans are getting excited and anxious for baseball to start up again, even for a team that may just be mediocre to start.

Early Season Ticket projections show a 25% increase from 2030, with attendance per game expected to grow by 36.9%. Fans are looking to bring back the tailgating tradition to the Malthouse that made Madison Cheesehead games so much fun to be at.

It has been about 7 or so years since baseball was last played in Madison with the Madison Cheeseheads, now the Racine Lakers and AAA affiliate of the Duluth Warriors. So fans of baseball could not be more excited just to have a team back, but the Malts have made it clear they are tired of losing and have gone to great lengths to improve the product on the field. I will break down the free agency acquisitions one by one in following blogs.
The big name being Sánchez, but the infield has been rebuilt, they grabbed a couple additional arms for the pitching staff, and they picked up some insurance out in the field. This was not a small upgrade, Madison comes off a franchise worst 51-111 record and was in need of an injection of talent to be able to compete in their new home. With lots of questions in the rotation and bullpen, as well as many youngsters who will be tested and expected to perform, Madison is hoping for more of a 78-82 win scenario to begin their run in their new home and are not delusional and thinking they will rise to the top of the Great Lakes division. Anything closer to being competitive is a step in the right direction.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Malthouse: Revolving Tap

#26 Post by Hitmen »

SP José Castillo
Castillo was the first addition Madison made in free agency on the 12th of December to the tune of a 3-year contract worth a total of $11,900,000.

Castillo is a solid workhorse to add to the rotation mix in Madison, a part of the team that will continue to evolve in the coming years with so many prospects down in the minors making their way up to the show such as; Pete Blaquiere, Jason Baker, Atasuke Inoue, Iván Ramírez just to name a few of the closest to the show. Management has done a good job of loading up on arms to compete for future spots, however many are still years away from making an impact. Castillo fills that hole now.

At 32 years of age, Castillo is not a spring chicken. He has spent the better part of his career making a living in the Liga Dominicana De Beisbol Invernal and the La Vega Luchadors De Las Calles where over a 12 year period he collected a 43-44-1 record as both a starter and reliever with a 3.75 ERA and 1.35 WHIP.

Castillo would make his entrance in PEBA in 2026 with West Virginia with a contract that is eerily similar at 3-years and $11,500,000. He would be traded to Toyama and in 5 seasons at the PEBA level would compile a 46-45 record with a 4.24 ERA and 1.36 WHIP. Castillo has shown he is consistent and will provide an expected level of pitching on the mound any given night he is handed the ball. He still has some zing with a 94-96 MPH Forkball and will continue to put in the work to help his team win.

Castillo is a solid addition that will hopefully provide some consistency and stability to a rotation that will see lots of youngsters being handed the reigns, starting this year with Blaquiere and Baker.

I give Madison a B+ for the pick up and contract for Castillo.

Michael Czosnyka

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by Hitmen »

The Malthouse in Madison
The Malthouse - Madison, WI: April 6th, 2031

It took some bribing, but as I was finally able to get a sneak peak of the new stadium and home of the Madison Malts, formally of Canton. The Malthouse is a thing a beauty, and in five days when Madison's hosts it's season opener against the Okinawa Shisa, the fans will quickly realize what a gem they have in their town now.

Newly built in the heart of Madison, WI.. the Malthouse went up with amazing speed. Contractors on site did not put up signs of what was being built and large fences were erected to keep curious eyes out. All part of the efforts of owner William Marsten IV to keep the big move as quiet as possible for as long as possible.

The stadium itself can hold 45,000 fans which is a step up from Canton's old stadium Svab Memorial, has a natural grass field, and is capped off with an impressive retractable roof that will help keep the stadium dry during the rainy months.

But most importantly, when you think of Wisconsin, you think of beer and food and the Malthouse has that in spades. Partnerships with locally operated Bavaria Sausage provides the park with it's famous Bratwurst, Sausages, candied bacon and imported cheeses and is just one of the many variety of food vendors throughout the stadium. Lots of local breweries will be visible throughout the concession stands as Ale Asylum has their Hoplounge in the upper terrace, Capital Brewery can be found on the lower terrace with their Supper Club dining area and bar, but the most visible brewery throughout the box level and stadium are the various New Glarus clubhouses and party bars. New Glarus will also sponsor the soon to be famous Beer Stein races which will occur during the 7th inning stretch! Will it be the Moon Man, Spotted Cow, Wisconsin Amber, or the Bedlam stein that wins the race?

If you come early and take part in the planned tailgating outside of the stadium and in the parking lots around the Malthouse, and with beer gardens and Wisconsin's famous cheese curds available throughout the stadium seemingly within 50 feet of every seat, it will be a nightly battle of self control to stay sober long enough to watch your Malts do battle.

The park itself stretch's 328 ft. down the left line and 376 down in left field. Left-center is 412 ft. while center field itself is cut short at 407 ft. from home plate. The longest distance in the park is out to right-center at 414 ft. which then tails off in right field at 376 ft. from home plate. The right line ends our tour at 335 ft. A pretty balanced park that caters a bit more to righties and more towards small ball, it is a beautiful new park with all the amenities you can imagine.

The fans are definitely excited for the changes and team coming to town as even after some Season Ticket increase last year in Canton, without knowing it was Canton's final year there.. season tickets have again seen a large jump of 27.7% with the move to Madison. After averaging ~26k fans per game last year in Canton, Madison is expecting to attendance numbers in the range of 38k fans per game, an increase of ~48%! The atmosphere is charged and hopes are high as we get ready to start our first year in Madison. The team has quickly shifted focuses it seems from rebuilding to wanting to compete overnight with a free-agency that will be analyzed and criticized by Madison sports media for years to come. Will the drastic measures taken lead to success, or just put the team in financial purgatory for years to come, only leading to another hefty rebuilding effort for a losing franchise that is just so eager to win.

Marsten hopes to one day decorate the outfield and stadium with banners and trophies, acknowledging all of the greats to play in Canton/Madison; but for now we will have to make due with advertisements for beer and sausages as the team tries to dig itself out of the historical funk that has plagued the team since the inception of the PEBA. As the league's 25th season begins tomorrow on the 7th of April, Madison will try to take the first steps back towards relevance after a flurry of signings this off season. Will fans continue to think of Vapor Lock and what could have been, as he teaches our new hitters down in Melbourne? Or is this now Marcos Sanchez's team after his hefty offseason contract was announced, along with all the weight of the world and expectations thrown on his shoulders to try and help Madison to remove itself out of the perpetual cellar and be PEBA's last remaining team to finally make a playoff appearance.

I say, first let's get back to making winning baseball a thing here in Madison. Something Canton managed only 4 times in 24 seasons, then we can think about trying to do more. Then we can begin discussing and looking forward how to take the next steps and making our way to the playoff picture in the Great Lakes.

Canton will begin the season in Palm Springs with a three game set against the powerful Codgers before we can finally celebrate our new home in Madison against the pesky Shisa. I can't wait to have that first beer come this Friday night and I am looking forward to seeing all of the fans there. Then the Malts have a long homestand to end the month of April beginning with Duluth, then Yuma, Reno, and Palm Springs.

Michael Czosnyka

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Lions »

Love how this conveys the sense of the stadium atmosphere. I'm ready for a beer and a brat!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by Hitmen »

Lions wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:33 pm Love how this conveys the sense of the stadium atmosphere. I'm ready for a beer and a brat!
I was trying to channel all the things I miss most about going to the park right now. What I would give to head over to Wrigley for a day game, or go tail gating at Miller Park right now..
Michael Czosnyka

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Borealis »

Malts wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm
Lions wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:33 pm Love how this conveys the sense of the stadium atmosphere. I'm ready for a beer and a brat!
I was trying to channel all the things I miss most about going to the park right now. What I would give to head over to Wrigley for a day game, or go tail gating at Miller Park right now..
Oh, Hear, Hear!!!

Return to “Madison Malts”