Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

#166 Post by Sandgnats »

Badgers wrote:We actually might see the single season HR record of 53 (Tsumemasa Morimoto in 2016) be eclipsed by New Orleans' Germán Lima. He's got 44, which is on pace for 57. Morimoto's 2016 season was split between Manchester and the Trendsetters. We've only had 7 50 HR seasons.
Lima just fell short at 48 home runs. Still, wow.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#167 Post by Lions »

Sandgnats wrote:Lima just fell short at 48 home runs. Still, wow.
Just 2 HR's in September and a .557 OPS. He really wore down. That makes me sad.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#168 Post by Maulers »

Harrumph! I don't know who Yuma thinks they are, having just orchestrated a tank job for the ages (3-24 in September). Don't they realize that the #1 overall pick in next year's amateur draft belongs to the Maulers by birthright! :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#169 Post by Borealis »

Maulers wrote:Harrumph! I don't know who Yuma thinks they are, having just orchestrated a tank job for the ages (3-24 in September). Don't they realize that the #1 overall pick in next year's amateur draft belongs to the Maulers by birthright! :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
Based on Manchester's stellar .000 2028 PEBA winning percentage, it is the Maulers who have the top pick...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#170 Post by Maulers »

Borealis wrote:
Maulers wrote:Harrumph! I don't know who Yuma thinks they are, having just orchestrated a tank job for the ages (3-24 in September). Don't they realize that the #1 overall pick in next year's amateur draft belongs to the Maulers by birthright! :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
Based on Manchester's stellar .000 2028 PEBA winning percentage, it is the Maulers who have the top pick...
BOOM!!!!
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#171 Post by Leones »

congratulations? !+)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#172 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:
You'll be hearing from my lawyers about that arbitrary decision!

(Oh, wait, we don't have any lawyers at the moment. Or a manager, or GM, or any owners. Yikes!)
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#173 Post by Arroyos »

Yuma's brilliant play in September, including brilliantly losing the final 7 games of the season, tied them with Manchester for the most losses in 2029, and maintained Yuma's dominance as ...
THE MOST CONSISTENT TEAM IN THE PEBAverse!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#174 Post by Arroyos »

Meanwhile, as the Bulldozer organization falls apart, the Yuma minor league team in the Surf and Snow Amalgamation League, the Kivalina Bowheads, survived the first round of the Alaskan League playoffs, ousting Angoon 3 games to 2, to proceed to the League Championship round.

Yuma's future--if, in fact, Yuma has a future--resides in Kivalina this season.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#175 Post by Borealis »

It's amazing that Kivalina is still above sea-level, all these years after the global-warming scare of the late 20-teens...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#176 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:It's amazing that Kivalina is still above sea-level, all these years after the global-warming scare of the late 20-teens...
Old Kivalina is not. It is, indeed, underwater. But we moved the town, lock-stock-and-barrel, into the baseball stadium which sits on higher ground, across the bay from the now underwater village. I wrote about that years ago. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

At the time, I thought moving the village into the stadium was a temporary fix. But, as with many Alaska solutions, it has become semi-permanent.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#177 Post by Borealis »

Oh, I remember the story! I bet others would love revisiting it (hence my reference)!!
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#178 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:Oh, I remember the story! I bet others would love revisiting it (hence my reference)!!
Your wish is my command. Posted above.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#179 Post by Arroyos »

Stadium Renovation for Kivalina

Yuma Sun

28 December 2012: Yuma, AZ —The Yuma Bulldozers announced today that a million dollars has been set aside to complete renovations of their minor league stadium in Kivalina, Alaska.

The Bulldozers’ short-season A affiliate, the Bowheads, play their home games in one of the most remote baseball fields in the world. Kivalina is a tiny village of 400 residents on a spit of land that separates the Chukchi Sea from a lagoon formed by the Kivalina River. The nearest village, Kotzebue, is 80 miles away by plane, the only way to get in or out of Kivalina.

Since the conclusion of the 2012 Surf and Snow Amalgamation League in September, the Kivalina ballpark has been home to the entire population of the village of Kivalina. The sea wall that protected the village, resting just eight feet above sea level, from rising ocean tides was swept away in a violent series of storms last fall, the most devastating of which occurred on August 5th, while Bowheads’ pitcher Tomás Espinosa was hurling a no-hitter. The coincidence was not lost on Kivalina residents.

“It’s as if the ocean were trying to sweep us into the ballpark,” said tribal leader Colleen Swan. “To merge the identities of Kivalina and its ballclub.”

“Yeah,” said former mayor Galen Swan, Colleen’s uncle, “that stadium sitting on the mainland became our salvation. Baseball saved us.”

The million dollar investment on the part of the Yuma ownership will adapt the stadium to serve as the new, but hopefully temporary, home for the villagers. In the crisis immediately following the storm, as Kivalinans were ferried to safety across the lagoon and huddled beneath the stadium roof to keep dry, any available space in the ballpark was forced into service as temporary dormitory rooms. The new funds will transform ballpark seating areas into more spacious accomodations for the Kivalinans.

“The ballpark has never sold out,” said Bulldozer spokeswoman Pam Postema. “Instead of empty seats, we’ll have filled dormitories. It’s a way for baseball to give back to the community.”

The stadium, officially named “Avondale Grounds” —for reasons no one can figure out, since there are no grassy grounds anywhere to be found along the northwest coast of Alaska— has been informally referred to as The Sanctuary by locals since the emergency evacuation of their village. On Opening Day in Kivalina this summer, Bulldozer GM Bob Mayberry will make the trek to Kivalina to ceremonially open the new ballpark/residence and officially rechristen it The Sanctuary.

For years residents were aware they would have to move their village. Rising sea levels made it impossible to stay. Each storm sucked another home or community building into the sea. But the estimated cost to move their entire village across the lagoon to higher land was far beyond the means of the subsistence fishing families that comprise Kivalina. The storm and emergency evacuation changed all that.

“Nature was telling us something,” said Joe Swan, Jr., former Kivalina Bingo parlor host, now unemployed and living in the stadium. “Nature is always telling us something. We just don’t know what.”

Here are the links to the rest of the story, including pictures!
http://pebabaseball.com/blog/2010/08/01 ... -refugees/
http://pebabaseball.com/blog/2010/06/07 ... -kivalina/
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#180 Post by Borealis »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”