All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 am 
Online
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Was also keen on Edwards...but in the end Hartford had commitment I couldn't muster.

_________________
Drew (GM Ricky McCoy)
Duluth Warriors

WARRIOR NATION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 3281
Edwards wanted ridiculous amounts of money from me so I stopped checking in with him.

_________________
Frank Esselink
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-present
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:57 am
Posts: 1707
I certainly hope Jeff Pratt doesn't forget how to hit when he comes to town. He will be our everyday 1B. If he can post a 100 OPS+ I would be happy. Based on the guy Pratt is replacing he just needs to be better than 60 OPS+.

_________________
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 3281
Zephyrs wrote:
I certainly hope Jeff Pratt doesn't forget how to hit when he comes to town. He will be our everyday 1B. If he can post a 100 OPS+ I would be happy. Based on the guy Pratt is replacing he just needs to be better than 60 OPS+.

I think the contract you have Pratt is extremely reasonable. He's got speed and can play the outfield if needed.

_________________
Frank Esselink
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-present
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm
Posts: 208
I have learnt two valuable lessons in my brief online league GM stint:

(1) Money is king(no shit)
(2) Being frugal will get you nowhere

The weekly sim format means I can't really lowball without the possibility of the player signing with another team right away and not just chill out at home waiting for my next offer. I have lost on Hung Bao and recently, Paul Norris because I decided to be a cheap ass. The lost of Hung Bao is sad, not only for his talent but I already have some articles in my mind about him. His name is how you say "Red Packet"(given out on Chinese New Year) in Chinese and I wanted to write article about that, like maybe the whole troll him by giving him red packets with $1 inside it per strikeout or something like that.

Also, I have a boatload of SS now that Edwards is back. I did not expect him to be back(his initial price on the market is $17M I believe, and I was like "F that") but he is cheap enough now that I have to grab it. Now I might have to offload a SS I just traded for and looks like a complete idiot.

_________________
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Hartford Harpoon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 pm
Posts: 7000
Location: San Francisco
Andy, it's a tricky business, offers not too high to bust a budget, yet high enough to get business done! You'll find the right touch for Hartford in no time!!

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 3281
Harpoon wrote:
His name is how you say "Red Packet"(given out on Chinese New Year) in Chinese and I wanted to write article about that, like maybe the whole troll him by giving him red packets with $1 inside it per strikeout or something like that.

You can still write articles about him... no need to just stick to your own team!

_________________
Frank Esselink
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-present
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm
Posts: 2572
Location: Your mom's house
Harpoon wrote:
I have learnt two valuable lessons in my brief online league GM stint:

(1) Money is king(no shit)
(2) Being frugal will get you nowhere

Yep, the problem is that third lesson:
(3) Regular overspending will get you broke in a hurry

So unless you have one of PEBA's monster budgets (and even those teams have their troubles--witness Aurora being tapped out and needing to pinch pennies after their owner took back some $, for example) it is as noted above quite a balancing act for when to overpay, when to bargain hunt, how much to invest in developing players, etc. It's the OOTP circle of life :grin:

_________________
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm 
Online
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Great point, Dennny. The FA can be a sand trap, especially if you're a team riding one good season's extra cash.

See: Duluth

_________________
Drew (GM Ricky McCoy)
Duluth Warriors

WARRIOR NATION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 pm
Posts: 7000
Location: San Francisco
In the category of Absolutely Not Neat: please, please, please people!! Please post your trades with level AND position for each player. All of a sudden folks have gotten very sloppy with their posting!! It's a little thing, so please, oh, please, oh, please... the cruel, evil side of me is concocting evil plans...

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 pm 
Offline
Triple-A
Triple-A
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 pm
Posts: 749
While I will miss Jo kichida next season, I figured it was time to try and save a few dollars. I think Dylan will be happy with him.

Also the longer this preseason is the more I keep wanting to put Javier drake in my every day lineup.

_________________
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:57 am
Posts: 1707
I was planning on making a bid on Choe. He was a fine 2B for us the last couple seasons but his asking price was way too high. I was ready to give him 8-10 mill but Yuma came in high. I did not see that coming.

_________________
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:53 am 
Online
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Yeah Scott same, I had an offer in around 9.

Yuma with that $$$

_________________
Drew (GM Ricky McCoy)
Duluth Warriors

WARRIOR NATION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am 
Offline
Triple-A
Triple-A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Kichida marks the final free agent signing of the offseason. Considering Toyama is not a big money-making machine these days, I'm happy with the various players we brought in after losing a lot of dead weight from last season.

C Hirotsugu Suzuki - A solid lefty-hitting catcher with some pop that will share time with the righty-hitting Reynaldo Garcia.

2B Gabriel McIntyre - Decent contact hitter and defensive specialist. Defensive improvement was a major offseason goal especially in my park where the gaps run deep and can benefit from groundball pitchers.

RP David Lopez - Traded a 5th rounder for a solid reliever despite his recent issues in the playoffs. Leans on his fastball but he can bring the heat and force groundballs.

SP Juan Cervantez - Likely the biggest move this offseason and a solid groundball pitcher. Cervantez, or as I call him Clayton Lewis lite, has similarities to Lewis but didn't cost me as much as Lewis was.

1B Ernesto Villalobos - Signed from the WIL after, ironically, not re-signing with Manchester before their move. Could be very hit or miss but I needed someone with some pop that could drive in some runs. 20+ HR's in each of his last 3 seasons gives me some hope.

SP Kazuhiko 'Dusty' Nishiyama - Back-end rotation pitcher who split time as a reliever in Scotland last season. Not spectacular, but he consistently sits around a 3.70 FIP and could benefit from my upgraded infield.

RP Jo Kichida - Coming in as the favorite for the closer role, Kichida has been a monster for West Virginia and filled in nicely as a closer last season. Flyball pitchers may have issues in my park, but I needed someone who could dial it up to close out games and 'Cracker' has the talent I was looking for.

_________________
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:55 pm 
Offline
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm
Posts: 1235
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America
Wind Dancers wrote:
Kichida marks the final free agent signing of the offseason. Considering Toyama is not a big money-making machine these days, I'm happy with the various players we brought in after losing a lot of dead weight from last season.

C Hirotsugu Suzuki - A solid lefty-hitting catcher with some pop that will share time with the righty-hitting Reynaldo Garcia.

2B Gabriel McIntyre - Decent contact hitter and defensive specialist. Defensive improvement was a major offseason goal especially in my park where the gaps run deep and can benefit from groundball pitchers.

RP David Lopez - Traded a 5th rounder for a solid reliever despite his recent issues in the playoffs. Leans on his fastball but he can bring the heat and force groundballs.

SP Juan Cervantez - Likely the biggest move this offseason and a solid groundball pitcher. Cervantez, or as I call him Clayton Lewis lite, has similarities to Lewis but didn't cost me as much as Lewis was.

1B Ernesto Villalobos - Signed from the WIL after, ironically, not re-signing with Manchester before their move. Could be very hit or miss but I needed someone with some pop that could drive in some runs. 20+ HR's in each of his last 3 seasons gives me some hope.

SP Kazuhiko 'Dusty' Nishiyama - Back-end rotation pitcher who split time as a reliever in Scotland last season. Not spectacular, but he consistently sits around a 3.70 FIP and could benefit from my upgraded infield.

RP Jo Kichida - Coming in as the favorite for the closer role, Kichida has been a monster for West Virginia and filled in nicely as a closer last season. Flyball pitchers may have issues in my park, but I needed someone who could dial it up to close out games and 'Cracker' has the talent I was looking for.


Good job Dylan! I've noticed you quietly building over there :)

_________________
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group