Bears Official Baseball Blog: The BOB Blog

DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Bears Official Baseball Blog: The BOB Blog

#31 Post by DrewV »

Bears wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Warriors wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:35 pm The Trujillo vs. Mendoza matchup would be interesting to watch in a real-life context--the two would undoubtedly be close.
Absolutely. I'm sure those two will match-up many more times over the next 10+ years of their respective long, productive careers.

Also, I notice you left "Cold Smoke" out of that conversation, you don't think he'd have been one of the boys? He seems about as close to anyone as Dr. House.
I love Henry Carter. My first All-Star. I wrote a piece last year trying to provide backstory for his personality type. ("Indian Island")
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Ghosts »

Warriors wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:10 am I love Henry Carter. My first All-Star. I wrote a piece last year trying to provide backstory for his personality type. ("Indian Island")
I missed that piece and it's a shame because it's an extremely well-written one. You had me at the Steinbeck reference, but damn, I loved that story. You're a much better writer than I am!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Ghosts »

Barry's a Bear and Thornton is Out

Bakersfield, CA - 3 June, 2030

With the dust still settling from the mammoth acquisition of superstar right fielder Pat Berry, the Bears have continued to show a sense of urgency with improving an offense which despite being loaded with big names and steep contracts still ranks 11th in the SL in runs scored by dismissing hitting coach Terry Thornton. The 44-year-old coach had developed a great reputation around the league since taking over the Bears hitting coach position in 2029, but the front office believed the general improvement in the offense to be a result of talent acquisition as opposed to coaching. With the Bears ranking at or very near the bottom of the league in batting average, on base percentage, and weighted on base average despite having what many consider a stacked lineup, a change had to be made for the Bears who trail the Aurora Borealis by six games with nearly a third of the season played out. In his place the Bears promoted rookie hitting coach and PEBA legendary slugger Pat Lilly - a surprise move with other talented and more experienced coaches available. One such coach, famed LRS hitter and AAA West Valley hitting coach Nobuhito Hasegawa, has bounced all over the Bakersfield organization, improving the patience of young hitters at several levels. Despite his success, he was passed over because the Bakersfield front office hoped to find someone to connect more directly with their muted power hitters. Enter Lilly, the Bears organizational leader at the top of nearly every offensive category and PEBA's career OPS leader. With his credentials, the Bothwells and Ortegas and even the Barrys of the team should find cause for listening.
Last edited by Ghosts on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Ghosts »

2030 Amateur Draft Recap

Bakersfield, CA - 7 June, 2030

After the last minute acquisition of the 11th overall pick and the subsequent trade up to the 5th pick, the Bears can count slugging prospect Clyde Stinton, utility infielder prospect Tadasuke Suzuki, and two third round selections among their losses required for that high pick. With it, they selected OF prospect Tsuginori Takahashi out of high school to anchor the lineup of the inaugural rookie league class of the Punta Cana Mamajuanas. While OSA's scouting report places his skillset's potential somewhere in the vicinity of Jeff Grier, Bakersfield scouting team is reluctant to place even his potential on that level. That said, they clearly see great potential in the 18-year-old if they were willing to part with all the aforementioned assets as well as the $4M+ signing bonus he's rumored to be demanding in order to acquire him. When reached for comment, Bakersfield scouting director had this to say, "His speed allows him to stretch hits, he has a great feel for the strike zone and a good swing. He has the talent to flourish in the majors."

The Bears also traded long time starter Fred Womack to the Crystal Lake Sandgnats for the 25th pick. With it, they selected another 18-year-old Japanese talent, RP Sakutaro Fujita. Womack has been exceptional since the trade and has helped the Gnats sprint out to an SL-leading 42-16 record by posting a 2.52 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in his 11 starts so far this year, and so expectations for the teenage relief arm for whom he was swapped are perhaps unfairly high. Fujita, though, may be up to the task of making that trade look like more than a small salary dump. He has two plus-plus pitches with a fastball tapping out in the low 90s and a slider with a good spin rate. His control is perhaps a bit suspect, but his senior year saw him walk batters at just a 0.5BB/9IP rate. He also racked up 25 Ks in 17 innings and did not give up a run his entire senior year.

While the Bears had several picks in the fourth round and a number of picks much later, all eyes are on Fujita and Takahashi for now. Are they worth the losses of Stinton and Womack? Only time will tell.
Last edited by Ghosts on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Vail
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#35 Post by DrewV »

Bakersfield certainly hasn't been shy on the market this year--establishing itself as another big SL trade team!

Takahashi is a gamble, but man are those OSA numbers insane. I'm pleased to see more gambles on younger players with the formation of the IBL, and will watch this draft class with special interest as the inaugural rookie ball players.

What a season for Fujita at Nassau HS.

I see Bakersfield--some solid moves to maintain depth across the organization.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Ghosts »

Bad Luck Bears Bound to Bounce Back?

Bakersfield, CA - 24 June, 2030

On the heels of a 1-6 road trip against Palm Springs and Fargo, the Bears analytics team repeated a mantra that's becoming white noise at this point: the ball is just not falling in the Bears favor this year. Many of the team's best hitters have experienced a lower than normal batting average on balls in play, a metric sabermetricians use to quantify "luck". Starters Jarrod Ricks (.246), Raul Ortega (.237), Javier Torres (.230), and part-timer Jorge Aguilar (.220) have experienced the worst luck, while only 4th outfielder Jack Flynn (.301) and Marvin Miller (.307) might count themselves among the Bears fortunate by that metric. As a team, the Bears offense sports a .263 BABIP and is ranked last in the SL in batting average and just 10th in runs scored. Bakersfield currently sits 8.5 games back in the Desert Hills, staring up once again at Aurora in the standings.

The Borealis, after retooling their offense and losing famed hitters Mike Britt, Derrick Dwyer, and Paul Carlisle, are currently enjoying an offensive explosion to the tune of the top ranked SL team batting average that has resulted in the third best scoring offense. How is this possible? The arrival of transcendent rookie Stewart Arundale and his .313 batting average explains some of it, but many Borealis hitters are experiencing career seasons as well. Harry Hutchins, a 7 year veteran and career 85 OPS+ hitter is currently producing 165 OPS+ in an injury shortened season. Nick Heath's 159 OPS+ also stands head and shoulders above his career average 121 OPS+ and previous career high 122 OPS+. Manny Castro is experiencing a similar magic: 148 OPS+ compared to a 114 career OPS+. Underlying each of these tremendously productive seasons are BABIPs markedly higher than average: Arundale and Heath would each be the most fortunate Bears hitter by a wide margin at .323 and .326, but Castro and Hutchins are in leagues of their own at .420 and .447. Collectively, the Borealis have a team BABIP of .317 and their least fortunate player sports a .250 BABIP. Both good luck and an absence of bad luck are carrying the Borealis offense to heights few, if any, thought possible at the onset of the year. While it's uncertain if the Borealis can sustain such numbers, one thing is clear: Aurora hitting coach Kelly Gardner deserves a raise.
Dan Vail
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Borealis »

Well, Carlisle is still around, and is starting a rehab assignment this coming week, but the commentary isn't too far off - it has been an amazing half season. Castro, in particular, is finally performing as we had hoped, Heath continues to improve, and Arundale is right where we thought he could be... Hutchins is hitting like he's thrilled to be playing for a contender...

But the pitching continues to be Aurora quality...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Ghosts »

Borealis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 pm Well, Carlisle is still around
Oh, good 😳
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Ghosts »

Bothwell's 300 Night Lifts Bears Past Reno
Reno, NV - July 4th, 2030

Alex Bothwell knows how to celebrate. Trailing 2-1 on the road against the rival Zephyrs in the top of the 8th, "Red Hook" accomplished a feat only 25 PEBA players have managed in hitting his 300th career home run to put the Bears up 4-2 in historic style. Bothwell's 23rd shot of the 2030 season was both timely and impressive, landing 413 feet into Reno's right center field. Bothwell, never one for the spotlight, was quick to point out that he had help from his coaching staff and that his new teammate, Pat Barry, is just 12 home runs from becoming the 26th member of PEBA's 300 homer club. New hitting coach and PEBA legend Pat Lilly, however, heaved all the credit right back onto Bothwell, "I've only been here about a month, and Bothwell has been mashing since he first picked up a bat. This is his accomplishment and I look forward to his 400th." While Bothwell is only 31 and certainly has the talent to hit that mark, whether or not he and Lilly are in the same clubhouse to celebrate is less than certain. To reach that mark in a Bears uniform without an extension Bothwell would need to hit 100 home runs in about two and a half seasons (although he has a player option to void the last year of his contract, 2032). Since arriving in Bakersfield, he's hit 66 home runs in nearly two seasons. During his highest home run hitting seasons, 2025-2027, he hit 133 home runs. So while he's hit 100 home runs in less than two and a half seasons before, he was playing half his games in the home run capital of the Sovereign League, Okinawa, as opposed to the cavernous confines of Aera Park. Regardless of where he hits #400, his teammates all believe he'll reach that plateau which holds only three members. Fellow 300 club member Jarrod Ricks, having reached the feat in 2029, said, "I doubt I make it 400, but Bothwell and a bunch of other guys certainly can: Mercer, Britt, Hernandez... Munoz. It's gonna get crowded in the 400 club in a few years. Not that exclusive so no big if I'm not there to pretty the place up."

For his part, coach Lilly has overseen some improvements in the Bears offense since taking over. The Bears slashed .230/.283/.652 before Lilly's tenure and .257/.301/.707 since. Bothwell in particular has come alive with Lilly in his corner, hitting 10 home runs in June after managing just 11 in April and May.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Ghosts »

Bears Search for Answers at Shortstop Reaches Canton

Bakersfield, CA - 8 July, 2030

Javier Torres has manned the starting shortstop role for the Bears since 2025, but after his bat took a step back from "below average" to something else entirely, his 2030 campaign so him first lose his job to Alfonso Reyna, then to a demotion, and now out of the organization entirely. Torres was likely bound for free agency after his contract ran out in 2030, but hope remained before the start of the season that he would finally have the bounce back year that saw him reproduce or exceed his career best 2026 campaign, where the then 26-year-old slashed .303/.323/.752 and earned 3.3 WAR with excellent defensive play. Instead, he slashed just .175/.256/.510 to yield an OPS+ of just 57 and -0.4 WAR. Today, he was shipped to Canton alongside a 6th round pick in favor of MI Anastasio Silva, a 31-year-old PEBA rookie that entered the league as a promising free agent from Chile.

Torres is merely the first of three players to take significant playing time at short for the Bears in 2030. Second year infielder Alfonso Reyna has had two stints with the Bears so far but has failed to find his footing offensively, struggling to the tune of a .161 AVG and 39 OPS+. Reyna is currently shaking off the post traumatic stress of facing Sovereign League pitching in Aera Park in AA, where the organization hopes he regains his confidence. Veteran Gil Sterling, who was signed in the offseason, lost in the Rule 5 draft to Hartford, and re-acquired in June, has tried to reproduce the success he found in Connecticut but has fallen off somewhat since arriving in California. Sterling does stand as the sole Bears shortstop with a batting average above the Mendoza line (currently .204) and a positive WAR (0.3 in 19 games) and figures to continue to contribute for the remainder of the 2030 season despite Antastasio Silva's arrival.

Silva's PEBA performance so far has been hardly more inspiring than the trio that precede him, as his slash line of .227/.264/.618 has, in combination with his average defense, earned him a Torres-matching -0.4 WAR so far on the season. Bakersfield's front office believes his offense can improve, and that being in the playoff hunt might be therapeutic for Silva's bat. They also believe that Silva's "sparkplug" mentality might catalyze a sense of urgency in the calm, professional locker room that Bakersfield has assembled in 2030.

The move might also have been a form of self restraint, as 21-year-old favored prospect Guillermo Colon has enjoyed an excellent season in AA, slashing .338/.378/.537 in 221 plate appearances. As close as he is, the Bears seem reluctant to throw such a young player into the midst of a playoff race, especially when he could use time in West Valley to continue to hone his craft with newly appointed hitting coach and former PEBA star SS Alfredo Vega. Said Vega, "he's only been with us a few weeks, but his speed and agility both on defense and on the bases are jaw-dropping. I wish I could convince him to be a little more selective in his approach to the plate, but the kid's got a smooth swing and quick hands and he'll frustrate a lot pitchers in the years to come."
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by Ghosts »

Pitching Leads Bears to Crucial Aurora Series Victory

Bakersfield, CA - 15 July, 2030

In the most anticipated series of the Bears 2030 season, the Desert Hills leading Aurora Borealis visited Bakersfield for a four game series with serious implications, at least as far as the Bears are concerned. Standing 8.5 games behind Aurora just weeks before the trade deadline, a sense of urgency in Bakersfield was growing. Team captain Stephen Hooper addressed the team before the series in a private players only meeting. While the specifics are not on record, the speech appears to have been focused on passion for the game. A number of Bears players are having down years, and it appears Hooper was concerned that too many of his teammates were too worried about their numbers and meeting expectations and not playing with any joy. "I just wanted to let the guys in that clubhouse know that I've been there. I know what it's like to feel like you're doing everything right but nothing is going your way. Like everything is harder than it ever was before. I told them all that if they just let the expectations fall away, if they can just focus on the moment, the game will come back to them." The speech seems to have landed with some of Hooper's comrades, because the series the Bears proceeded to play against their longtime rivals was everything the Bakersfield faithful could have hoped for. The Bears took 3 of 4 games and cut the Aurora lead to 6.5 games.

In game one, three of the Bears most high powered arms, Roberto Cisneros, Chris Puddifoot, and Hsin-ta Lian combined to limit the Borealis to four runs - a commendable number given the offensive performance Aurora produced in the first half of the season. Led by a 2 HR, 4 RBI game by Jarrod Ricks, the offense tagged Richard Neely and recent All-Star Mark Powers for a combined seven runs. "20 Piece" McDonald went 2-3 with a walk, a triple, and 2 runs scored.

Game two went to Aurora despite a commendable effort by Erik Watson, who arguably out-dueled the legendary "Tugboat" Smith by giving up just one run off six hits in 6 1/3 innings with six strikeouts and no walks. The offense, however, hiccuped and only scored one lonely run off a Jorge Aguilar triple. Vincente Medina recorded the loss as he allowed a run off of two hits during his eighth inning appearance.

Game three went to the home team behind an absolutely heroic effort by starter Jeffrey Mendoza. "Jetstream" carried a perfect game into the sixth until it was broken up by notorious ne'er-do-well Roy Duke's single. He would go on to complete the shutout and allow no walks and only three hits. The Bears scored three: one off a Stephen Hooper single, one off a bases loaded Christian Webb walk, and the final off a towering Webb home run to deep left field.

The final game of the series was a fittingly close game that ultimately went the Bears way. Trailing 1-0 in the seventh off an outstanding performance by starter Francisco Sutrez, the Bears led the inning off with respected humanitarian and renowned speaker Stephen Hooper. He was promptly drilled by the first offering of the inning by petty criminal Rob Imhoff. Unsubstantiated reports from before Saturday's game allege Imhoff was seen purchasing all of the stock from an ice cream truck servicing a playground near Aera Field before tossing it all in a nearby dumpster and laughing over the cries of neighborhood children. Steve McDonald lined a full count offering past the infield to advance Hooper to third before a Marvin Miller sac fly allowed Hooper to tag and score. Back to back singles by Webb and Pat Barry drove McDonald home to give the Bears the 2-1 lead that would hold as Hsin-ta Lian recorded his second save of the series.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Ghosts »

Mata Mashing in Minors

Bakersfield, CA - 14 July, 2030

PEBA's top ranked prospect, Bakersfield's catcher Mauro Mata, is only 19 years old, but has earned his second promotion of the season already. Set to debut 2030 as the centerpiece of the inaugural Punta Cana Mamajuanas, Mata was promoted to the Cold Bay Eleven just before the start of the rookie league season. Bakersfield's brass wanted to ensure their other young catching prospects had ample opportunity to play and had confidence that despite mediocre results at the short season A and A levels in 2029, Mata had the talent to succeed at those levels against much more experienced players. Scouts had such glowing reviews of Mata that not only did Bakersfield trade a minor fortune to acquire him, but they placed the then 18-year-old directly into their A-level team in Chula Vista. Mauro lasted just 14 games before being demoted to Cold Bay, slashing a paltry .192/.236/.429. He performed markedly better for the remainder of 2029, hitting .242 and posting a respectable OPS+ of 105, but the hope for Mata is not respectability, but stardom. Mata's 2030 season has been a significant return for his investors. Mata spent about a month of 2030 in Cold Bay, honing his defensive skills and demonstrating the potential of his bat by posting a .299/.355/.454 line. On June 24th, barely a year after being demoted out of A ball, Mata returned to the Chula Vista Chargers. Since then, Mata has produced 8 multi-hit games in 16 appearances and a slash line of .403/.411/1.009. Mata's career day came last week and left him one bag shy of the cycle as he went 4-5 with a single, two doubles, and a home run in an 11-5 rout of the Salton Sea Kilmers. A long road to Bakersfield awaits Mata, and patience will be paramount in awaiting his development, but all indications are that Mata might actual be able to live up to the incredible expectations set upon him.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Ghosts »

Pitching Leads Bears to Crucial Aurora Series Victory, Part II

Bakersfield, CA - 22 July, 2030

In the most crucial eleven days of the Bakersfield Bears 2030 season to date, the Bears played longtime division bully Aurora eight times. The result of the first series, held in California, were the Bears taking three of four by way of excellent pitching and some well-timed hitting thereby reducing the Borealis lead by two games. The result of the second series, held in Colorado, was... virtually the same. The Bears once again took three of four and cut the division lead to 4.5 games. In the eight game series, the Bears outscored Aurora 33-17. They have now defeated Aurora in seven of ten attempts. Only a single three game series, in the heart of the September push to the playoffs, remains between Bakersfield and Aurora.

In game one, Jetstream faced 34 Aurora batters and gave up three runs in 8.2 innings for the quality start. His opponent, veteran righty Luis Nieves out-dueled him for the 7.2 innings he pitched, exiting with a 3-0 lead and a runner on first. Cannon-armed Aurora stalwart John Gray entered to attempt to record the final out of the eighth and preserve the lead against Bears slugger Alex Bothwell. After jumping ahead to an 0-2 count, Bothwell crushed the third offering over the right field wall and cut the lead to one. Raul Ortega, who recently signed a lucrative extension that will keep him under contract through at least 2035, followed the same script by launching an opposite field bomb off of Gray's 0-2 offering to tie the game. That tie would last until the top of the 13th when a Stephen Hooper double would score two to put the good guys on top 5-3. The game wasn't over yet, though, as more drama was left to unfold. Chris Puddifoot started the bottom of the 13th off against Borealis star rookie Stewart Arundale and quickly retired him on a pop fly. From there, the intensity ratcheted up as far as it could one step at a time. Hutchins and Loetzsch both single off the second pitch offered to them. Nick Heath, he of demonic range in left field, entered as the go-ahead run and grounded to short, but Webb was unable to make a play and the bases would load. With one out and nowhere left to store base runners, Borealis first basemen Brandon Johnson took three straight pitches to jump ahead 3-0 in the count. He proceeded to dare Puddifoot to throw strikes and took two to fill out the count. With the bases loaded and a full count, down two, Johnson fouled one off, and then lofted another deep enough into the outfield to allow Hutchins to tag and score. 5-4 Bears, runners on first and second, two outs in the bottom of the 13th. All star catcher Manny Castro then grounds to short, where Webb again is able to glove it but cannot make a play. Bases loaded, again. With veteran Paul Carlisle set to bat, Wayne Kedsch decides to make a change and brings in recent trade acquisition LHP Eijiro Nakagawa as well as replacing Ricks in left with Jack Flynn. Ball. Strike. Strike. Ball. Ball - and wouldn't you know it, the count would have to fill before this could end one way or another. Nakagawa's sixth offering is on target and Carlisle takes a deep cut... but is unable to connect and strikes out to end the game. You don't need to wait until October to experience a playoff atmosphere in baseball - just watch the Desert Hills division race in any given year.

Game two was decidedly less dramatic as Francisco Sutrez would dominate the Borealis for 8 innings of shutout baseball while the Bears beat up Borealis badass Bartolo Esquival to the tune of five runs in 4.2 innings of work and went on to win 8-0. Sutrez is on an absolute tear. Over his last seven starts, he's been named player of the game six times and has given up a total of four runs including five scoreless appearances. He dropped his ERA from 3.90 to 2.59 over that stretch and recorded six wins as well as game scores of at least 68 in all but one. If he can get his walk rate under control, people might start confusing the Bears new team co-captain for the great Neil Maes.

Game three was a closer affair but once again a Bears starter shut down the Aurora offense. This time it was Cold Smoke's turn to rattle the Borealis. Carter struck out five and gave up just five hits, no walks, and one run in 8.0 innings. Aurora started Jesus Solis for the second time since Turner's unfortunate injury sidelined him likely for the remainder of 2030. The bad luck would continue for Aurora as Solis tore his rotator cuff in the fourth inning. Solis had been holding his own and left the game down just 1-0. Emergency replacement Kichibei Kamuta gave up three hits and two runs in the fourth, and that would be all Bakersfield needed to close game three out.

Game four went to Aurora despite the Bears holding a 4-1 lead in the 7th after quality start by Roberto Cisneros. Aurora was able to get to Cisneros and All Star Vincente Medina, though, to score four in the 7th and 8th and take the game 5-4.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#44 Post by Ghosts »

Uncharacteristically Quiet Deadline in Bakersfield

Bakersfield, CA - 31 July, 2030

With hours to go before the trade deadline, the phones in Bakersfield have been eerily quiet. Since taking over just over two years ago, the most consistent organizational trait this front office has displayed has been a seemingly unending desire for turnover. Yet, since the start of the 2030 season, the team has only made a handful of trade acquisitions that might be considered significant for the 26 man roster: the acquisitions of Pat Barry, Gil Sterling, and Eijiro Nakagawa, as well as the Torres-Silva shortstop swap. While the jury is still out on whether each move was in the team's best interest, the only move in involving any real star power was with the Maes-Barry trade. Maes is on to his third team of the year and appears to be slowing after his career year in 2028. Barry's hot streak ended when he landed in Bakersfield, though he's certainly outperformed what little Figueroa was able to muster offensively. With such quiescence, one might presume that the Bears have run away with a division lead, but no - they find themselves 5.5 games back with just 55 games remaining on the season. While they hold the first wild card spot, any one of Fargo, Toyoma, Duluth, Reno, or Palm Springs are close enough that the Bears could find themselves on the outside looking in on the playoffs. That would be problematic from a financial standpoint. The Bears have pushed their payroll to the second highest in the league, but their record stands at 7th best, while their revenue per game has dropped over 2% despite adding 7,000 seats this offseason. At this pace, the Bears will lose some $18M this year and cut deeply into their cash reserves. A single playoff series could cut into that deficit, but there's a lot of baseball to be played before that can be relied upon.

Being so close to elite but failing to see elite results may make ownership uncomfortable, but the front office appears unfazed. Sources say the team is comfortable with their wild card position, the clubhouse composition, and their coaching staff. "Our best baseball is ahead of us," says Bears manager Wayne Kedsch. "We have a lot of young players with incredible talent - once they truly settle in to their routines, they'll start being as consistent as they are talented. PEBA will need to watch out for that." While the Bears do have highly talented young players, one might question if their occasional hiccups are truly what's holding the team back. Down years from veterans with huge paychecks might be more problematic - catcher Steve McDonald is slugging just .283 vs .403 in 2029, Ricks is hitting just .215 vs career .256, and Lian has given up twice as many home runs (6) so far as last year and has blown more saves (4 vs 3) as well. Can these key pieces turn their seasons around? Perhaps: Lian has gone scoreless in July in 11 appearances, while Ricks and McDonald have posted more respectable numbers in June and July than their respective horrendous May lines. The team has yet to fire on all cylinders this year, though with their backs against the wall they took six of eight from the division leading Borealis. With a somewhat light schedule (.480 winning percentage) remaining, the Bears apparently have all the pieces they need to succeed - at least according to the brass. Failure, though, could carry heavy consequences.
Dan Vail
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Ghosts »

2029/2030 Draft Review:

Since our earliest pick in 2029 was in the 4th round, we didn't review that class last season, but as we take a look at early returns from the 2030 class we include a notable 2029 draftee.

Chula Vista (A)
SS Brad Simpson, 2029 4th rounder, was a valued selection. GM Dan Vail's first draft pick, Simpson has made steady improvements to his game since his selection, but his upside remains limited. The now 22-year-old posted a 141 OPS+ and earned 2.4 WAR in just 172 ABs while in Cold Bay. He displayed excellent plate discipline (27 BB) while also hitting for a bit of power (.145 ISO) and manning shortstop competently (+0.5 ZR, 5 errors in 406.1 innings). Since his promotion to Chula Vista this offseason, he has struggled a bit offensively to the tune of a .209/.315/.626 slash while showing improved defense (+2.4 ZR, 5 errors in 854 innings). He projects as a borderline starter at SS, but the team believes his intangibles may carry him farther.

Cold Bay (SS-A)
P Teika Kamikawa, one of three 2030 4th round selections, has relied on his advanced fastball/splitter combo while working out of the Cold Bay 'pen. He's having success so far (133 ERA+), but the lack of drop on his breaking pitches could be problematic long term and limit his upside. His attitude doesn't help, either.

SP Lance McMahon, a 10th round selection, has made a name for himself in Cold Bay as part of a strong rotation. Having given up just two runs in his last four starts, McMahon dropped his ERA from 5.91 to 2.38 with the use of his advanced cutter/curve/fork pitch assortment. The changeup is a work in progress, and his command is questionable (5.0 BB/9), but McMahon could develop into a usable arm if his strong work ethic can carry him beyond scouts' early perception of his ceiling.

CL Jesus Rojas, another notable late (13th round) selection, has dominated in 25.1 innings out of the Cold Bay bullpen. His 817 ERA+ results from giving up just one earned run in that span. He's struck out 26 compared to just 7 free passes and 10 hits allowed while relying on his advanced fastball/sinker combo. Scouts are dubious that he can maintain this performance, but it's certainly noteworthy.

P Aidan Pitkeathy was also selected in the 10th round and has pitched extremely well from the Cold Bay bullpen. His advanced pitch repertoire includes a plus fastball and cutter as well as a solid changeup. In 32.2 innings, the Glasgow native has amassed an impressive 43 Ks and allowed just five earned runs, but scouts are concerned that he's reached his ceiling and may never advance far beyond A ball.

Punta Cana (R)
OF/DH Tsuginori Takahashi , the 18-year-old 5th overall selection, was drafted on his incredible tools more than his current talent. With the opening of the 20 and under rookie league, it was presumed that he could keep up with age-limited peers while he improved - something that might not have been possible last season. So far, the results are mixed. After posting a .438 OPS in June, Takahashi is starting to keep pace with professional pitching and has posted a .658 OPS in July. That number is somewhat buoyed by Punta Cana's hitter-friendly confines. Takahashi has also struggled defensively alongside many of his Mamajuanas compatriots, whom are collectively 26th in errors in the IBC having amassed an astounding 44 in only 41 games. This also explains how the Mamajuanas can be simultaneously 5th in FIP, 4th in pitcher WAR, and 21st in runs against. Takahashi may never develop into a useful defender, but Bakersfield appears willing to learn what he is ultimately capable of in the outfield as opposed to sticking him at DH right away.

RP Sakutaro Fujita was Bakersfield's second first round selection. Another 18-year-old, Fujita features an arsenal limited to a fastball and slider, but scouts believe those pitches can become elite in relatively short order. Fujita was installed as the closer in Punta Cana and has struggled somewhat - posting an 83 ERA+, 1.25 WHIP, and relatively low K rate (5.6 K/9). The talent is certainly there, though, and even slight improvements to his skills could make him a dangerous weapon at this and many subsequent levels.

RP Nobuharu Takaki, the second of three 2030 4th round selections for the Bears, has disappointed so far. In 8 appearances, the 19-year-old's fastball/slider combo has been beaten up. Opponents are hitting .320 off of Takaki, and scouts doubt if his arsenal will improve much over time.

SS Dave Hearn is the last of the Bears 4th round selections. The 18-year-old is a raw talent, and has taken a backup role in Punta Cana behind SS Shane George, IF Dirk Ortega, and 2B Esteban Rodriguez, several of the team's strong young prospects. Still, the youngster has impressed with his bat in limited at bats, hitting for a .372 wOBA. Defensively, he may lack the range and surehandedness to land at short, but has a cannon for an arm and may be best suited for the hot corner. Coaches are impressed with his work ethic, but he'll need to fight to earn playing time behind the other talents on this squad.
Dan Vail

Return to “Bakersfield Bears”