Sim Update: 2008 Edition

Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#436 Post by Hitmen »

Did your fan interest change? I haven't even checked mine yet, now I have to reload the file and see :shock:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Matt
VIP
VIP

#437 Post by Matt »

Make it three pitchers. I just signed Ruben Cervantes to a minor league deal, because he was WELL KNOWN. Now he UNKNOWN. In one sim.

Two guys who fell all the way to UNKNOWN in ONE SIM, plus a another player whose ratings fell, all on the same team, same sim, is not the type of bug that sounds infrequent.

Overall, my fan interest still sits at 92. It actually should have inched up a little with the Cervantes signing.

Very wacky.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#438 Post by Denny »

I hadn't checked on anyone's popularity, but I did notice a lot of ratings changes on my roster (particularly with the relief pitchers for some reason).

And my minor leagues look as if a plague of suckiness swept through them; I have only a tiny handful of guys with even two or three stars of potential now! :-x
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#439 Post by John »

Scouts' ratings reports show up very differently in OOTP 9 vs. OOTP 8. It's going to be an adjustment for everyone. Just wait until you get your first look at the amateur draft pool... I know I'll be receiving a flood of complaints that, "Everyone sucks!" Thing is, no one has become more sucky. This is an artifact of OOTP 9's new scouting system, where accuracy is influenced by scouting budget, your scouts ratings and personal leanings, and much more. It's going to force owners to place a greater emphasis on a player's performance rather than his numerical ratings. Just know that a player that was promising in OOTP 8 hasn't suddenly become a bum in OOTP 9 even if his ratings look a lot uglier.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#440 Post by Matt »

I think it's just the sudden shock of having prospects who looked like future stars suddenly look like future Tempe Knights that has everyone concerned.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#441 Post by Duane »

I'd like to add that in 'other' leagues this has NOT been a problem. OOTP8 ratings trasferred to OOTP9 pretty fairly and accurately ... I have inquired .........
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Sandgnats (Bill)

#442 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Calzones wrote:Make it three pitchers. I just signed Ruben Cervantes to a minor league deal, because he was WELL KNOWN. Now he UNKNOWN. In one sim.

Two guys who fell all the way to UNKNOWN in ONE SIM, plus a another player whose ratings fell, all on the same team, same sim, is not the type of bug that sounds infrequent.

Overall, my fan interest still sits at 92. It actually should have inched up a little with the Cervantes signing.

Very wacky.
It seems like a bug in OOTP9 to me. I haven't checked everyone, but I know of 2 pitchers MR Dopey Harada and SP Zander Eichhorn who lost their popular ratings overnight. Harada was a FA who we acquired and the only reason we traded for Eichhorn instead of his teammates was due to his popularity ratings. I will check the rest of my guys...
Sandgnats (Bill)

#443 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Holy crap!
We had 9 players take a popularity hit!
6 at the ML level and 3 in the minors. 4 of them were popular! :x :x
Now between the 2 levels, ML & AA, there were 41 players popular (nationally). We(CL) lost 4 of those 41! That accounts for almost 10% of the PEBA universe at those two levels.

I looked at the league perspective and found the following:
(I only looked at the 4 popularity ratings that will actually move your fan interest=Extremely Popular, Very Popular, Popular, and Well Known)

ML LEVEL
OOTP8=120 (National) & 131 (Local)
OOTP9=98 (National) & 111 (Local)
The numbers above are the total number of players that received a Well Known popularity rating or higher.
That's a loss of 18% Nationally and 15% Locally!!

AAA=Lost 2 players
AA=Lost 4 players

Obviously, this isn't an isolated issue. It's league wide. We lost 42 players that earn us fan interest points. That is an awfully large number! At the PEBA level, we had 40 players that were Popular Nationally under OOTP8, and only 27 now under OOTP9. :shock: :shock:
That's a 33% loss! I have a personal example=we have MR Diego Martinez who has been Popular both locally and nationally since 01-12-08(in game date) until 01-29-09 (over a year) and overnight he is now unknown/unknown.

A few points in a player's ratings is one thing, but losing a popular player takes 3 points off our fan interest rating. Keeping fan interest up is paramount to increasing your revenue. If you do not increase your revenue, your budget will decrease. So, it goes without saying that this is a pretty important issue/problem with OOTP9.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#444 Post by Tyler »

CL, the million-dollar question: did your fan interest change? If not, this may very well be OOTP9 fixing a flaw in OOTP7/8 which resulted in too many popular players.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
James Bowman

#445 Post by James Bowman »

Coal Sox wrote:CL, the million-dollar question: did your fan interest change? If not, this may very well be OOTP9 fixing a flaw in OOTP7/8 which resulted in too many popular players.
Yea, I was going to ask the same. If everybody's FI stayed the same, hypothetically, it had no ill effect on anybody. The only thing we'll notice is less opportunity to increase it by signing/trading players.

You might even look forward to not taking as much of a hit to FI when you eventually lose these players, but still benefit from the increases! :grin:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#446 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:CL, the million-dollar question: did your fan interest change? If not, this may very well be OOTP9 fixing a flaw in OOTP7/8 which resulted in too many popular players.
Exactly. I don't view this as any kind of problem at all. I know for a fact no team suffered an unaccountable fan interest hit during our last sim. With that in mind, having some players lose popularity can actually be a good thing for you. Remember that popularity is a double-edged sword: it's great coming into your system, not so great leaving. So if you've acquired a popular player, you've already benefited. If for some reason he loses popularity while in your system... hey, no skin off your back. And at any rate, I have absolutely no information to indicate this is a bug.

EDIT: Curse you for beating me to the punch, Jon. :grin:
Thoroughbreds wrote:I'd like to add that in 'other' leagues this has NOT been a problem. OOTP8 ratings trasferred to OOTP9 pretty fairly and accurately ... I have inquired .........
Now this I take more seriously. Upon further review I agere that there is an unexpectedly radical shift in how ratings are being reported in OOTP 9 vs. 8. I stress "reported" because there is absolutely no change whatsoever in players' "true" talent level between the two platforms. That's good news, but it's still worth exploring why this large discrepancy in reported ratings is occurring. I'm looking into this now; no promises, but hopefully I'll learn something that will enable me to make a change.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#447 Post by Tyler »

There is a master setting for the universal accuracy of scouts. It ranges 1-5 (from least to most accurate) and defaults at 3. This is a new feature of OOTP9. Perhaps ours didn't default to 3?
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#448 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:There is a master setting for the universal accuracy of scouts. It ranges 1-5 (from least to most accurate) and defaults at 3. This is a new feature of OOTP9. Perhaps ours didn't default to 3?
That's not it: Accuracy is set to average. Thanks for mentioning that, though: I'll update my OOTP forum post with that information.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#449 Post by Tyler »

Just looked at your OOTP forum post, commish. What kind of monitor do you have? :shock:
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

James Bowman

#450 Post by James Bowman »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:EDIT: Curse you for beating me to the punch, Jon. :grin:
Curse the Cheerios for giving me a great start on the day, not me! :lol:

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”