The Wrath of Cohen: A Distant Worlds-Shadows AAR

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The Wrath of Cohen: A Distant Worlds-Shadows AAR

#31 Post by Mike Dunn »

Knights wrote:Ghost I sent you a pm with questions on this game. I didnt want to highjack this thread.
You're not hijacking the thread at all. We all enjoy talkin' games. Here is Rory's question:
Knights wrote:Hi Mike,

I was checking around on this game and its really sparked my interest. As I love open strategy games like this. It looks like its around $100 to play this game with the expansion packs. Ive been trying to look around to find some sort of package deal but have not found one yet.

Do you know anywhere that might sell it this way? And does the game end or can you play it for a long time before you beat it? and what is the modding element of the game all about? Is it hard to do?

Rory
Unfortunately it is only sold by Matrix, and they set the price very high. Its the big downside to the game, particularly in this age of Steam sales. Matrix does have occassional sales, but even then it usually drops the price down only slightly.

You can play DW for a very long time per game -- there is a sandbox mode in which there are no win conditions, so it goes on infinitely. In addition, you can set it to a huge galaxy with many stars and many AI opponents, and with very customizable win conditions. There are a tremendous number of ways to set up each game.

That's the upside to the high cost -- you get amazing replayability. And installing mods made by others is easy as dropping a folder they provide into a certain location, then choosing that mod at start up.

I got DW and the first 2 expansions on sale for $60, then spent another $20 on the latest expansion. I know I've gotten my money's worth. Of course I cannot say if it would be worth it for you.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by John »

I purchased Distant Worlds on Mike's recommendation. Let me also vouch for the game; it's very enjoyable. As someone with limited time, I really appreciate that you can turn any subsystem over to AI control. In fact, I turn all the game's systems to AI control, which makes the game play out on it's own. That may seem like no fun, but it's like watching a space opera unfold before your eyes. The fun comes in recognizing the emerging storylines (and in relating those storylines, as Mike does here). Plus, you can take control back from the AI anytime you want.

As Mike says, price is the big barrier. You could save money by just getting the base game, but the expansions have really improved the experience and I would hate for you to miss out on what they offer. I ended up keeping an eye on the Matrix site, waiting until they ran a sale. Then I pounced. I recommend doing the same if you have an interest in the game. I wouldn't be shocked to see Matrix run a Christmas sale.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#33 Post by Rory »

Thanks guys. I dont know if I can hold out til christmas time. Although thats prolly the more sensible thing to do. My wife can vouch for this but I'm not know for the sensible things Ive done in my life. More the crazy(or stupid) things Ive done. Oh I have some stories to share at the bar or around the campfire. lol

I'm gonna get the whole tamale if/when i get it. How is the download version? If a guys computer crashes or he builds another one will he be able to re-download it?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#34 Post by John »

Knights wrote:How is the download version? If a guys computer crashes or he builds another one will he be able to re-download it?
The digital download version is the one I went with. It's a great way to save some money. Yes, you absolutely can re-download everything if you lose your data, so no worries there. Matrix will have a record of your purchase, so it's easy to work with them. I found the whole purchase-to-install-to-play process to be quite painless. The only catch: make sure you have the latest versions of each game installed. You may need to download patches to get up to date.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#35 Post by Rory »

K did it. I went and got all 4. It was a bit of a discount getting em all at once($86). Thanks again for your guys help. Here I go. I have a feeling Im not gonna get much sleep tonight. Juuuust a feeling. lol
Matt
VIP
VIP

#36 Post by Matt »

Knights wrote: My wife can vouch for this but I'm not know for the sensible things Ive done in my life. More the crazy(or stupid) things Ive done. Oh I have some stories to share at the bar or around the campfire. lol
Reminds me of my own motto. Bad decisions lead to great stories. :lol:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#37 Post by John »

Calzones wrote:Reminds me of my own motto. Bad decisions lead to great stories. :lol:
Quoted for truth, and so that I remember it the next time I make a bad decision, which, knowing me, will be in 3... 2... 1... :oops:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Mike Dunn »

Knights wrote:K did it. I went and got all 4. It was a bit of a discount getting em all at once($86). Thanks again for your guys help. Here I go. I have a feeling Im not gonna get much sleep tonight. Juuuust a feeling. lol
Let us know how it goes.

I hate recommending this game because while its a great game and I'm glad I got it, I'm afraid that someone spends this much and then doesn't like it. So I hope you like it and eventually feel you got your money's worth.

To start out, try automating most of your systems. Control a fleet or two, let the AI handle most other stuff. Rinse, repeat.
Mike Dunn

Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#39 Post by Rory »

no worries Ghost. Im always the one who decides my own fate. I thank you for your input.

And it looks like I have lots to learn after staying up til the wee hours getting my feet wet in it. It seems most of my peeps are doing their own thing. Im just learning how to use the construction yard, map, etc. The ships are exploring too far out for my taste and meeting too many new empires for this early. I kinda wanted to focus on getting things at home build up before i let the galaxy know were here. I haven't figured out how to order my peeps around yet.
I will learn more tonight.

Thanks again guys, this game does look fun.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Mike Dunn »

14. A Grim Discovery

My pirate clan is humming along but I have become preoccupied with eradicating our only competition: the Grim Spaceways Clan, which to our knowledge are the only other pirates operating in this cluster.
We have engaged in multiple skirmishes with the Grim Spaceways, including the one pictured above, right outside our home spaceport. We shoo them away like flies in the summer, but they are getting increasingly annoying. We must rid them once and for all.

Their demise will give us a monopoly on smuggling missions and all other nefarious activities in the northeast corner of the galaxy, and will make our economy and defenses stronger when we expand outward.

I can't wait.
I order up more military ships (as well as more freighters to keep up with the growth in our economy). Note that our research is not advanced enough to start building cruisers and capital ships, but we hope our scientists achieve those goals in short order.

Meantime, a bit of news:
The Jameniri Dominion are one of three empires that live, thus far peacefully, in this cluster. As a pirate, I have good relations with all three. But the Dominion's breakthrough into colonization may spell an end to the relative calm in this cluster. Of course, if war among the three does break out, it may be even better for our underground economy!

Then, suddenly, comes the greatest bit of news we could hope for:
Hot damn! Before we boarded their ship, they forgot to run the paper shredder on their maps. My forces have found the home base of the Grim Spaceways!
Its a small space port in orbit around Yogame 2, in the same portion of this quandrant in which we're based.
And they don't know we've found the location of their base, so perhaps it is under-defended.

A sneak attack may be their undoing.

To Be Continued....
Mike Dunn

Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#41 Post by Rory »

Got my butt whooped in less than a week and had to start over. This time I'm controlling my explorers so they dont go out and meet a ton of races before i'm ready to defend myself. This game sure is detailed. I need to plan ahead.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#42 Post by John »

Knights wrote:Got my butt whooped in less than a week and had to start over. This time I'm controlling my explorers so they dont go out and meet a ton of races before i'm ready to defend myself. This game sure is detailed. I need to plan ahead.
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, Rory! It's pretty cool, isn't it? And so detailed! You could lose yourself for days in all the empire-building goodness. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#43 Post by Coqui »

John wrote:
Knights wrote:Got my butt whooped in less than a week and had to start over. This time I'm controlling my explorers so they dont go out and meet a ton of races before i'm ready to defend myself. This game sure is detailed. I need to plan ahead.
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, Rory! It's pretty cool, isn't it? And so detailed! You could lose yourself for days in all the empire-building goodness. :D
As someone who found himself going to bed at 2am this morning after a far longer than intended session of Civ5, I second this remark.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#44 Post by John »

Longshoremen wrote:As someone who found himself going to bed at 2am this morning after a far longer than intended session of Civ5, I second this remark.
Boy, have I lived that experience once too many times in my life. X-I
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Mike Dunn »

15. The Battle of Yogame 2

When last you joined me dear readers, my nascent pirate empire had captured a ship belonging to my mortal enemy, the Grim Spaceways clan. That was a thrilling development, made even better by the realization that they'd neglected to wipe their maps clean before we boarded. Lo and behold, we found the location of their home base -- a space port orbiting around Yogame 2.

A week later, we launched a surprise attack.
Their base was poorly defended. Pompous fools! Did you think I'd never find you?
Our forces (in purple) quickly outnumbered the reviled Spaceways ships.
Their defenses quickly crumbled, and my ships trained their torpedoes on the base itself.
Success is ours. Some of the pirates manage to flee, but others see the light and join our clan. Hell, we're all mercenaries anyway.
The Grim Spaceways leader did manage to survive, and he rings me up to vent as he flees the cluster of space that we now control.
Heheh. Sucker.
Mike Dunn

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”