OOTP 9 - This game is completely different

DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OOTP 9 - This game is completely different

#1 Post by DanD »

I have logged a serious amount of hours on a couple of the previous versions of OOTP, mainly playing in leagues against computer managers. I have played the new OOTP 9 a lot lately. It was a suggestion by some to put a blog together of comments and differences between the game version we use.

The historical league set up is awesome but frustrating. I started out with the 1971 Indians. I wanted to undo the horrific trade to the Yankees and maybe pick up some elite prospects (Don Baylor, Carlton Fisk, Bert Blyleven, etc). Since this was my first attempt at the new game, I quit the game at the end of June 1971 after being unable to trade for good prospects and the team was 15 games out. The 1974 and 1977 Indians were not any better. Unfortunately the average historical team does not load with even a full 40 man roster. You can easily add fictional minor league rosters, though. Maybe my expectations were too great. I have not played anything prior to 1965 (first amatuer draft).

Scouting is completely new and different. If you start a new league with an inaugural draft make sure your scouting director is above average. If you start over budget, the game will force your scouting budget to be half of league average. Players ratings seems to change faster and more randomly.

I have since played 2 current leagues with the Cleveland (Buckeyes) franchise with horrible results. I have quit both leagues after 3 or 4 seasons horribly frustrated without a winning season. I would not draft anyone over age 26 in both leagues. Don't ever do that?!@#$%$!

I have some tips and or advice I would like to pass on. Don't overspend on scouting. I have found no advantage. Spend the league average within a million. The scouting association does not give any guarantees. Trading for top 100 BA prospects are not can't miss players as in the past. Don't rush young players. Prospects are just that, prospects. Just because you have an OF who has handled AAA below the average age doesn't mean he will be an above average player within 2 years in the majors. Expect the unexpected. Lastly, if you win a league championship, let me know your secrets because I'm still baffled. Mark Shapiro is safe for awhile I guess.
Last edited by DanD on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

These are really excellent tips! I have to admit that, for all the testing and testing I've been doing with PEBA settings in OOTP 9, I haven't actually played a single game of my own league. Therefore a lot of this is news to me, especially on the historical front (where I've never dabbled at all).

That leads me to wonder: How many of you play your own OOTP solo leagues? Care to share your setups? For me it's all PEBA, so I'd be curious to see what kinds of different things others are doing.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A few good things...

#3 Post by DanD »

One of the things I failed to mention is the flag that comes up with trying to trade for players drafted less than 1 year ago. Its frustrating trading for prospects the first season because of this but, its a good trade off to follow more closely the real major league rules. Suspensions for drugs and in-game conduct are a good upgrade. Maybe a slider would be good since Tigers (ugh!!!) coach Andy Van Slyke seems to think PEDs are non existent in baseball today. Lastly, there was a perceived difference between playing and simming games that seemed to be fixed. There's still bugs but its much better than and different than the last. I think the different factor is good when random variables is the change.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by DanD »

I ran into another problem with the game recently. The cost of coaches is out of whack. Case in point, my team trainer costs have escalated way too much. $250k in 2008, $300k in 2009, and an astounding 1.2 million in 2010. The problem is the ratings of these 3 was roughly the same talent level. I tried to buy the best available trainer in 2010, and failed to get even the 3 best, and settled for the 4th best available at 3 times the cost. This is not isolated. Have you ever heard a rookie manager getting paid 400k? Hopefully the newest version fixes this. Especially since my team made the playoffs the first 2 seasons. Now, it seems I need to start over again because my trainer wants 5.7 million over 3 years to extend his contract. Are you kidding me. Dag nab it!!!
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by DanD »

Ok, I figured out the computer simulation league differences. I have now loaded PEBA into OOTP 9. There are noticable differences after one night. Your free agents are willing to sign for far less amounts. My advice don't write off impossible to sign free agents just yet. The other thing is the my current balance is about 2 million lower in OOTP 9.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Bureaucrats wrote:Ok, I figured out the computer simulation league differences. I have now loaded PEBA into OOTP 9. There are noticable differences after one night. Your free agents are willing to sign for far less amounts. My advice don't write off impossible to sign free agents just yet. The other thing is the my current balance is about 2 million lower in OOTP 9.
Regarding the difference in what they're willing to sign for, that may not actually be the case when we transition. Average salary demands will be adjusted at that time, so the landscape will be somewhat different. I'd go ahead and make offers as you normally would for now.

Regarding the current balance being $2M lower, that's due to the new addition of a scouting budget (which, as it happens, is on average exactly $2M). Whereas in OOTP 8 you paid the salaries of a collection of scouts, in OOTP 9 you don't directly pay scouts at all. Instead there's this overall scouting budget which you adjust during the off-season (note that you're limited to no more than a $1M budget if you have a negative balance).
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by DanD »

I think the budget thing is important to note in the near future because we will all be making financial decisions very very soon. My guess is its about a 1.2 million savings on scout reduction and 2.4 is the assumed average scouting budget. I'll tell you having 3 very good scouts in ootp 2007 that I lose in ootp 9 stinks, because I used anyone high ratings to look for diamonds in the rough. See Larry Brown.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by DanD »

Has anyone had significant problems with updating PEBA league files with OOTP 9? I have tried both my laptop and my desktop. Both computers get frozen during my first league update. I will keep trying since both PCs were not newly re-booted. I tend to re-boot about twice a week. I will keep you posted and update my OOTP 9 version.
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Reg »

league files won't update for ootp 9 until we make the switch for the whole league....so right now you must update it in ootp2008 and import it in ootp9 every time :grin:
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Sandgnats (Bill)

#10 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Hello PEBA,
I do not have OOTP 9 as of yet, so I have a question for any of you....

In OOTP 8, there is a bug(in my mind) in that playoff teams do not receive any merchandising revenue. I'm not going to cry about it because I'm lucky enough to be in the playoffs. :D

But, the idea that a team hosting a playoff game would sell exactly zero hats, jerseys, t-shirts, etc. is just a little ridiculous.

So, if anyone is running a personal league in commish mode, please let me know if notice a change. You would just need to write down the Merch. Revenue of the team(Team front office tab) right after the season ends and then look again at the same page after that team has played a few home playoff games.

Thank you very much in advance for any info you can provide! :grin:
Sandgnats (Bill)

#11 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

I have the trial version of OOTP 9 and I advanced through the playoffs and the teams still do not receive any merchandising revenue.

To add significance to this point:
Crystal Lake averaged about $300,000 a home game in merchandising revenue in 2008. Now, we are above average but barely in the top 3rd(#7) in PEBA in that department. So, we're missing out on close to 1 million dollars every 3 home games.

That's pretty significant in my mind.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by DanD »

WTF, I keep importing PEBA into OOTP 9 and it hangs at 22% of loading teams. Its happened 4 times in a row now. HELP!!!!
Alan Ehlers

OOTP 9

#13 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I think the graphics are pretty cool. My scouts pretty much hate 85% of my team. Does anyone else seem to be scratching thier heads about the scouting reports
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Maulers »

Well, my scout hates all but 3 players on my current 25-man roster and almost my entire minor league system. On the other hand, I share his feelings, so it's all good.

Also, I was having that same problem with OOTP 9 (getting hung on the league file; I usually made it to 50% and then the whole thing would shut down). I did trouble shooting with the OOTP team, and we could never figure it out. Fortunately, all works well on my work computer. In any event, I would stop by the OOTP forums and look for help.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by DanD »

Nevermind. I just had to wait about 20 more minutes for the import to work for PEBA to import into OOTP 9. Keep in mind everyone, if it looks like the import freezes, let it go for awhile. DO NOT KILL THE GAME WHILE IMPORTING. The best thing to do is run the import overnight.

Back to your concerns NJ and Manchester, I think the scouting will ratings will look different. Don't get too reactionary right now. John will give updates and the league file updates will be different. I think what you will like is the scouting writeup about players as opposed to interpreting ratings. Just keep in mind how your scout director interprets the data potential versus stats.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”