twenty questions with Patrick hunter

Alan Ehlers

twenty questions with Patrick hunter

#1 Post by Alan Ehlers »

Tempe, Arizona – October 20, 2008

Journalist Mike Lupica sat down with the other half of Tempe's phenom pitching tandem, Patrick Hunter, for his weekly column called “Twenty Questions”.

Question 1: Where did you get the nickname "Cosmos"?

Hunter – My parents were a couple of hippies and said that my birth occurred because everything was right in the cosmos or some other tree-hugging euphemism like that.

Question 2: So your parents were hippies?

Hunter – Yeah, they had me later in their life. My mother was 39 when I was born so I had the 1960's shoved down my throat. Now I have nothing against the 1960's but I am tired of the way it is glorified. I mean, you see any report or show about it; it seems that everyone was having a great time, getting laid and so forth. However, in reality everyone was getting loaded and not doing much of anything. If you want the reality of the 1960's, listen to the Velvet Underground or the poetry of Jim Carroll. You never hear about the fact that the majority of hippies were junkies; it is just not good PR.

Question 3: Okay, let’s talk baseball. How do you think your season went?

Hunter – Very well. I was pretty successful when I was called up; I went 2-2 with an ERA under 3, so I was happy about that. Also, Mr. Van Hauter told me when he called me up that I was up to stay, so that took a lot of pressure off of me.

Question 4: How do you like Tempe's chances next year?
Hunter – I like our rotation. I’m very happy that Markus (Hancock) and I were called up in September so we got a lot of good experience together. However, I did not get the "Hunter is our Savior" banners like Markus did. (laughs) I do think we have a very talented starting staff and bullpen. Of course Christos (Douglass) will close the door for us again next year. It is very encouraging to know that he is out there waiting to come in and shut the door. I think he is the most underrated closer in the game.

Question 5: What are the holes in your team that you think needs to be addressed?

Hunter – Well, Mr. Van Hauter stated that we needed another left-handed bat, which I think he is close to obtaining from Bakersfield. Also, I believe we need to be a little stronger up the middle. Our outfield is very good because Tomás (Mora) can cover a lot of ground.

Question 6: Are you and Markus close friends?

Hunter – Yes, we hang out a lot together and talk about the craziness about all the hype we are getting. We keep each other grounded and support each other. Of course I needle him with the fact that I have 2 major league wins under my belt. However, he then tells me about his Reebok contract; not bad for a guy who has not won a major league game. (laughs)

Question 7: Do you have any endorsements?

Hunter – I think I have a couple; I will have to talk to my agent. With a nickname like "Cosmos" I get calls from "High Times" magazine and alternative medicine companies to be their spokesperson, which I turn down.

Question 8: Why do you turn them down?

Hunter – Because “High Times” is a doper magazine. If I endorsed their publication I would be drug tested every day. As for companies like GNC, I wouldn’t mind doing it because I do take vitamins every day.

Question 9: Do you think Tempe has shot to make the playoffs next year?

Hunter – I honestly think we do. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people. We have a lot more power then last year. Our pitching is going to be our strong point. I think we can win 90 games and make the playoffs.

Question 10: How many games do you think you will win next year?

Hunter – Well, more then two and lets leave it at that. Markus and I have a bet to who will win more and the loser has to shave his head, and I love my hair. (laughs)

Question 11: I want your opinion on a rumor that is floating around. It has been rumored that a player at the major league level is going to come out and admit that he is a homosexual. Would you have any qualms about playing with an openly gay player?

Hunter – I heard that rumor too. I grew up in San Francisco so I am not averse to homosexuals. I could care less what a person’s sexual orientation is. If a person can play ball, he can play. I do think that if the player does that he might have a hard time because some players would be very uncomfortable. I think it would take a lot of guts to come out and I for one will support that person’s decision 100%.

Question 12: Are players on Tempe as open minded as you about supporting a gay player?

Hunter – Well, Markus could care less. As for the others, you will have to ask them.

Question 13: Markus stated that with his signing bonus he bought some art. Have you made any purchases with your signing bonus?

Hunter – I bought some socks. (laughs) Actually I bought some baseball cards and a Porsche, which I should sell because I have been pulled over three times. However, once the cops see it is me I get a warning. If I win twenty games I’m sure I could do 200 miles an hour through Arizona. (laughs)

Question 14: Here is a hypothetical question: Game 7… who starts, you or Markus?

Hunter – Me, of course. Markus would of course say him. But of course it would probably wind up being Chet (Collins).

Question 15: How has celebrity changed you?

Hunter – I wasn’t aware that I was one. (laughs) Well, I seem to have acquired a lot of friends who call me up and tell me that we went to camp together and we should catch up. My wife got a call from someone who stated that they were my best friend in the first grade. (laughs) It gets a little weird but I do not take it too seriously.

Question 16: How is married life treating you?

Hunter – I love it because my wife keeps me grounded. She was with me before I became a semi-celebrity, when I was poor riding in crappy buses in the minors. She loves coming to the park and watching me pitch. I actually think she was more nervous then I was during my first start. She has been house-hunting in Tempe which tells me I am going to be in Tempe for awhile. With her buying a house and Mr. Van Hauter stating that Markus and I are the future of the team it seems like I’m not going anywhere.

Question 17: Okay, we have 4 questions left so let me ask you some more personal questions. First, what are your favorite hobbies?

Hunter – Like Markus, I like to read and go to museums. However, unlike Markus I like to go to WrestleMania and monster truck shows. I have a little redneck in me.

Question 18: So you like country music?

Hunter – Actually I hate it; give me punk rock any day and I am there. I wish sometimes that I was a closer like Christos so I could have some entrance music. If I was a closer I would pick "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones. That would be awesome to come into.

Question 19: What was the last book you read?

Hunter – Bernard Weisberger, "When Chicago Ruled Baseball". It is about the Cubs-White Sox World Series of 1906. It was a great book and I highly recommend it.

Question 20: Is there anything you want people to know about you that I did not ask?

Hunter – Yes, I want people to know that I thank God every day that he blessed me with the ability to play baseball and that Tempe's fans are the best in the league. Of course I’m biased but they went through a lot of misery in losing 117 games in their first year. However, they are really getting behind this team and there is a very positive buzz which I think our team will feed off of. I think the fans are in for a magical year next year.

Lupica – Thanks Patrick.

Hunter – No problem. I will see you in the spring.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

A lot of interesting nuggets in this one, but the one I'm most taken by is the revelation that a PEBA player may be coming out of the closet in the near future. Most of our articles lean to the humorous side of things; I find it intriguing to see one touching on a more serious subject (the acceptance - or lack thereof - of a person with a distinguishing difference into a group that may not universally welcome that difference). I'll be watching how this subplot develops with great interest.

Return to “League News and Articles”