Playoff Roster: Rookies With Abusrd Contact Ratings / AVG

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Ghosts »

i think i sort of misunderstood aurora\'s take - we he said he got rid of one of these guys i thought it was principle.

i\'ll didn\'t even notice that they literally were nothing but singles hitters / K kings (though a couple of our guys show some ability/future ratings such that they could come through).

but i\'ll do you one better than the OBP - check out their Runs Created stats. Not bad, but no better than a lot of guys with less eye-popping averages.

i\'m still not convinced that a guy like Burgess -- given his speed/defense at the corners/the fact we HAVE TO take a position player -- isn\'t worth a short term flier.

but i know see that these guys are just a little goofy bug and not the insane problem i thought they could be.

anyhow, it\'s between ronnie ray (the real prospect, but why put him on the 40 man before his time) and burgess (who almost seems like the logical choice in a situaiton like ... he\'s unlikely to be anything long term but maybe he\'ll go 2-5 in a game or two).
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by John »

Bears wrote:i think i sort of misunderstood aurora\'s take - we he said he got rid of one of these guys i thought it was principle.
No, you understood me correctly; it was on principle. However I don't expect everyone else to follow suit. I'm in a special circumstance being the commissioner. Searching around for info on these problems is part of my job; it wouldn't be terribly fair of me to use info I run into during my searches to gain an advantage, now would it?

Not that these guys are really that big an advantage, of course; as previously mentioned, they're too one-dimensional to have much of an impact. They're probably a bigger negative from a historical statistical perspective - you'd hate to see a bunch of these broken players dominating PEBA's history leaderboards in AVG and singles - than for any impact they'll have on actually winning or losing games.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Tyler »

I'm fine with guys like this existing extremely rarely - and when I say rarely, I mean only ever having one or two in the league on average - because their is some precedent (Ichiro). If that's what OOTP9 is doing, I'd be happy.
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#19 Post by Dinosaurs »

yeah but even Ichiro doesn't have an BABIP over .400 (although he did have a .399 in 2004 which is pretty crazy considering he had 762 plate appearances that season).
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by John »

Because these guys are so easy to pick out by their ratings, I think what I'll do is what I mentioned before: delete them at the feeder level (at least the most egregious ones). That combined with the natural reduction in their number in OOTP 9 should largely address the issue. As far as those already in the league, they'll be allowed to stay put. Maybe we'll figure out some creative fictional explanation for the weird "all singles and strikeouts" hitters that dotted the PEBA landscape around the league's inception. :D
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Tyler »

I think there's a great built-in explanation: every professional sports league is kinda wonky at the start, before the rules are ironed out, and patterns can be settled into, and overall quality can rise.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”