Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Coal Sox Have Intriguing Internal Options to Fill ’09 Holes

#1 Post by Tyler »

10/7/08

Coal Sox Have Intriguing Internal Options to Fill ’09 Holes

by Earl Valentine, Allegheny Allegory

With their starting catcher, center fielder, and designated hitter departing to free agency, and a pre-existing hole in right field, the Coal Sox will have some serious lineup reconstruction ahead of them this offseason. The Coal Sox will obviously explore all options (trade and free agency included), but here’s a sneak peak at some prospects who stand a good chance of succumbing to black lung disease in 2009.

C Victor Salgardo (ML West Virginia, .229/.282/.313, 1 HR, 13 RBI): Technically no longer a prospect, the 26-year old Salgardo has been the Coal Sox backup catcher since being acquired in the Ki-Tong Pei trade in 2007. He has struggled mightily without regular at-bats (only 131 this year) but the Coal Sox are in love with his defense and his swing. Salgardo will finally assume the starting job barring an outside acquisition after having been informed the job would be his for 2008, only to have the Coal Sox acquire Rob Wright in PEBA’s historic four-team trade.

LF Jorge Lopez (AA Maine: .268/.346/.374, 9 HR, 46 RBI):
Probably the name least familiar to the Coal Sox faithful, Lopez has an outside chance of making the Opening Day roster. Although players like Zi-xing Chen and Wilbur O’Billry have more experience at higher levels, the Coal Sox view Lopez as having a much higher ceiling. They plan on sending the 24-year old Mexican to their winter development camp in Kauai, and if he shows enough promise, will attempt to teach him right field in spring training. After that, who knows. He’ll have to show rapid development to make the big league camp.

Earl Valentine is an assistant to the West Virginia Director of Player Development. Allegheny Allegory is his personal blog.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Tyler »

I forgot to write it into the article, but Jorge Lopez was acquired in the Codgers' Senility Sale. :-?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:I forgot to write it into the article, but Jorge Lopez was acquired in the Codgers' Senility Sale. :-?
Just added it to the homepage version of the article. :D
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

Thanks for the edit, Commish. :grin:
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Denny »

Coal Sox wrote:I forgot to write it into the article, but Jorge Lopez was acquired in the Codgers' Senility Sale. :-?
KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! :x

Hmph! I wonder if anyone else from the Senility Sale--or from their contemporaries I held back from the sale to keep for myself!--have accomplished anything. I'd look, but I don't actually remember who they were.

":-?", indeed.
Last edited by Denny on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

I wouldn't panic yet, Codgers. Lopez has a long way to go. He's 24 and only at AA. I've moved him up to AAA to start the offseason with the radical hope that winter ball will make him ready to be a backup/below average starting outfielder if I cannot land an OF bat this offseason. If I do, he'll spend his age 25 season at AAA and look to inherit right field at age 26 in 2010. Lots of contingencies there, and some huge development jumps left.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Here's my acquisition from the Senility Sale: SP Jim Washington (SS-A). I actually acquired him second-hand from West Virginia. If you look at his history you'll see a number of other players involved in one of the Senility Sale trades. It's still early for a lot of these guys, but certainly no one stands out like López.

Return to “League News and Articles”