You blockhead! The worst baseball manager of all time

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

You blockhead! The worst baseball manager of all time

#1 Post by John »

Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times wrote:Without box scores, we can’t measure [Charlie] Brown based on Pythag, and without statistics, we can’t even try to measure the team’s performance against its WAR, as Adam Darowski once suggested. We don’t even have an idea of the league’s playing environment, given that we know less about Brown’s rivals than even his own team. (It would seem, based on the pitches he’s seen to swing through, that most pitchers can throw harder than the batters can handle.) We can only broadly guess at Brown’s skills or habits as a tactician based on what little we know. Please consider the following science inexact.

But first, to understand Charlie Brown, we must understand what he is working with. His baseball team is comprised of the following players:

C: Schroeder
1B: Sherman
2B: Linus
SS: Snoopy
3B: Pig Pen/5
OF: Lucy/Violet/Frieda/Patty (not Peppermint, the other one)
SP: Charlie Brown

Of these, only the two middle infielders can be considered clearly above replacement level, with the corner infielders being enigmatic. The outfield is a disaster. It’s obvious that simple talent is responsible for a sizable portion of the team’s record. But how much?
The geek in me loves that someone was inspired enough to write 2,731 about a fictional bald-headed boy and his pathetic baseball team. There is something that is just so right about that. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: You blockhead! The worst baseball manager of all time

#2 Post by Leones »

that's a fun read.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Denny »

I had never really considered the misusing-Linus angle, despite remembering those storylines where he came in and pitched the team to victory! :D Great article. ;-D
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Nigel »

Yes you have got to admire someone who can write so much with so little to go on about a cartoon strip. Who hasn't wondered about the lives of cartoon characters outside of the days strip ? But to go that far, I wish he could analyse the PEBA ....
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Leones »

Codgers wrote:I had never really considered the misusing-Linus angle, despite remembering those storylines where he came in and pitched the team to victory! :D Great article. ;-D

Me either but when you think about it, of course the guy with the blanket would have the best WHIP! :-B

Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Leones wrote:
Codgers wrote:I had never really considered the misusing-Linus angle, despite remembering those storylines where he came in and pitched the team to victory! :D Great article. ;-D
Me either but when you think about it, of course the guy with the blanket would have the best WHIP! :-B
Well played. sir. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”