CIV … deeper in space!

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CIV … deeper in space!

#1 Post by Leones »

I just saw this. Very cool!

"The next game from the mind of veteran Civilization designer Sid Meier has been revealed. 2K and Firaxis Games have announced Sid Meier's Starships, an interstellar strategy game.

Scheduled to arrive in early 2015, the turn-based game is coming to PC, Mac, and iPad. Pricing was not announced, nor were any details about a possible Android version."

get the rest here:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/firaxi ... 0-6424728/
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CIV … deeper in space!

#2 Post by John »

I saw that announcement, but I'm playing a "wait and see" game after everyone badmouthed Civilization: Beyond Earth. Sid's an all-time great developer, of course, but lately it seems he's being outdone in the 4X world by games like Endless Legend and Distant Worlds. I hope this new one represents a return to form.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Coqui »

Yeah, for me Meier kind of jumped the shark with Ace Patrol, which was just so-so.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Bill »

I have a feeling this will be more catered to the mobile crowd. Maybe a good game for a tablet. Probably not a good game when held up to the Civ series.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Mike Dunn »

I read somewhere that this will be cheap, as in less than $20. I'll probably still wait until I see reviews. I'm very glad I held off on Civ:BE.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#6 Post by Rory »

I don't own any of the civ games so i have a couple of questions for you guys.

Which non-DRM civ game do you like the best?
How is the civ series compared to Empire Earth, Pharaoh, Rome Total War and the ole Lords of the Realms?

I was thinking of getting one of the civ games in the series but wanted to hear more about it from you guys first.
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Zephyrs »

I have played countless hours of Civ 3, 4 and 5. I really like them. I played Civ 5 with my oldest son last week for most of the day before we realized how late it had gotten. I have never played Empire Earth, Pharaoh or Rome Total War. But I highly recommend the Civilization series.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

Knights wrote:Which non-DRM civ game do you like the best?
That's a toughie. GOG is the only DRM-free seller of games out there, aren't they? Unfortunately, they don't carry any of the Civilization series. They do have Galactic Civilizations I, but GalCiv II is so much better. I think my vote would then go to Master of Orion 2. If you can get past the atrociously outdated graphics, you're talking about a classic.
Knights wrote:How is the civ series compared to Empire Earth, Pharaoh, Rome Total War and the ole Lords of the Realms?
I have played all of those games except Pharaoh, and the only one that holds a candle to the best Civilization games is Rome: Total War. It's difficult to compare those two because they're so different. Each does their thing very, very well.

I'd say if you like great strategy games, you owe it to yourself to try Civilization IV or Civilization V. You just can't do much better that those two.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#9 Post by Simon »

I preordered Rome: Total War and this game was basically unplayable on day 1. Bugs, glitches, stupid AI etc etc. Now after a year or so of patching its probably a good game, but after first bad experience its hard for me to go back to it.

If you like strategy games overall, you definetely should try Paradox games: Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings to name three series i like the most. Most complex strategy games i ever played (along with Grigsby's games; i spent more time on reading manual to the War in the Pacific game than actually playing lol).
These games, as well as Civilisation series, are turn based though. Games you mentioned are RTS's (Total War series is kind of hybrid), and its different experience, so keep that in mind :)
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Evas »

John wrote:I saw that announcement, but I'm playing a "wait and see" game after everyone badmouthed Civilization: Beyond Earth. Sid's an all-time great developer, of course, but lately it seems he's being outdone in the 4X world by games like Endless Legend and Distant Worlds. I hope this new one represents a return to form.
Yeah that is the same mode I am in. I haven't even gotten in on Beyond Earth yet... I'm waiting for the inevitable expansion, patches & mods.

I am taking the same attitude to the new game too. Though I did enjoy Sid Meir's Pirates and I sense a bit of that in this game. So I am a little optimistic about it long term.

Honestly I am still playing Civ 5. With all the mods out there, it can be a much different game than the one you they originally sold. A lot better, IMO. I particularly like a number of the user interface mods that they have.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Mike Dunn »

BTW Sid's Starships is due out on March 12, so we should start seeing reviews and such in a couple of weeks.

It'll be $15, low enough to potentially jump on it despite concerns. For PC and iOS, I believe.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#12 Post by Rory »

well i got a civ3 & 4 pkg. should be here in a few days.
I'll just have to remember to take a break every once in a while to shower and shave eh.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”