Giants again

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Giants again

#1 Post by Lions »

I'm extremely disappointed at the lack of gloating from a certain Giants fan on this forum.

Fun series. I like the Giants but was pulling for the Royals. I'm not terribly disappointed by the result. Despite a lot of criticism for Sabean's style as a GM, his results speak for themselves. Not only does he have this recent run, but he was the architect of the late 90's turn around.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Giants again

#2 Post by Borealis »

Nutmeggers wrote:I'm extremely disappointed at the lack of gloating from a certain Giants fan on this forum.
Who....? Me...?

Gloat? Why I never would speak up in public and talk about the massive failures of the Dodgers and their Yankee manager, nor would I go on and on about the Unlikely Dynasty!!!

That said...

HOW 'BOUT DEM GIANTS!!!

I have to say, as I was traveling abroad this summer, following the team as they crashed through the floor of mediocrity to the land bad, I figured that the playoffs were as unlikely as ever... Never was the Sabean mantra of 'make the playoffs and let the chips fall as they may' show it's truth more than this year!!

That said, hats off to the Royals for their own incredible run - only because the Giants had the most dominant player on the field - Big Country MadBum, did the Giants even win one. But the Giants run was a team effort through and through!

See you all in 2016...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by Simon »

MadBum shut down Royals so hard. On paper Giants' rotation looked good, but at the end it was all about Bumgarner. He almost single-handedly won for Giants 3 out of 4 games this series, the other starters were just observers. Vogel, Peavy and Hudson were just pathetic in their recent show ups.

Second hero for me is Hunter Pence. He was always on base, hacking like he always does, but somehow he was getting hits, mostly singles. .444/.500/.667 in WS

And the third one is Joe 'Baseball' Panik. He was nick named like this by one of the announcers and i like it. Back in the short 'Uggla times' i was asking myself, why Boch would not just play Panik instead? His offensive numbers werent so good yet (around .220 AVG i think), but at least he was able to use his glove. Postseason just proven he is great overall player. He can run the bases, can steal (tho Giants dont steal much), his defense is great (that double play in 3rd inning was just amazing), has great plate discipline, maybe with low power, but is good gap hitter. And with good personality too, similar to Posey's. Always calm. Just Mr Baseball ;)

Speaking of plate discipline... Hitting coach must have done something there, because looking at our guys, especially Panda and Morse, it felt like they were different players. They were not hacking at everything anymore and full count wasnt uncommon. And whole team was just getting singles, idk if it was the plan or not, but it worked at the end ;p

Anyway nice series, see you in the 2016 when Giants win next WS ;)
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Simon »

Check this, read it on twitter yesterday:
Madison Bumgarner has homered off opposing pitchers more efficiently (2,70%) than opposing batters have homered off him (2,34%) since 2012
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by roncollins »

Therein lies one of the reasons a pitcher should be made to hit for himself. 8)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”