PEBA Leads to Job Offer?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PEBA Leads to Job Offer?

#1 Post by Lions »

I wanted to give a shout out to all of you guys. I've been casually looking around for new work lately. I'm not entirely unhappy at my job, but I don't have a lot of optimism of a promotion anytime soon. I applied for a similar job with another company and am trying to assess my ability to get a promotion there, and one of the things I was asked in my interview was to look at some home grown code and explain what it does. Thankfully, the code was written using the same technologies that I use to write StatsLab. You guys pushing and encouraging me, particularly John, to keep working on it and improving it have helped me learn things that are now marketable professional skills. So... many thanks for all of your comments and critiques over the past several years!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: PEBA Leads to Job Offer?

#2 Post by Arroyos »

Nutmeggers wrote:I wanted to give a shout out to all of you guys. I've been casually looking around for new work lately. I'm not entirely unhappy at my job, but I don't have a lot of optimism of a promotion anytime soon. I applied for a similar job with another company and am trying to assess my ability to get a promotion there, and one of the things I was asked in my interview was to look at some home grown code and explain what it does. Thankfully, the code was written using the same technologies that I use to write StatsLab. You guys pushing and encouraging me, particularly John, to keep working on it and improving it have helped me learn things that are now marketable professional skills. So... many thanks for all of your comments and critiques over the past several years!
That is great news, for you, Frank, and for the PEBAverse. (Now if I only knew what he meant by code.) ;-7
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
richard_v
Double-A
Double-A

#3 Post by richard_v »

Being still relatively new to all this I didn't realise it was yourself that had wrote Statslab, some serious kudos for that
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

YAY!!!! That's Awesome Frank!!!

Good Luck!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Lions »

Bulldozers wrote:That is great news, for you, Frank, and for the PEBAverse. (Now if I only knew what he meant by code.) ;-7
Secret code, Bob... if you don't understand, that's by design.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Leones »

Nice on both fronts Frank! That's pretty cool. :bang:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by roncollins »

Very cool! The PEBAverse is full of the world's most interesting and talented folks. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

Frank, that's awesome. I couldn't be happier for you. All those back and forths we exchanged, all that diligence on your part, the drive to improve when there was no tangible gain for doing so ... it's all paying off for you now. You deserve the reward. I genuinely like and respect you, and I know you're going to excel in this new job. You have the drive and character for bigger and better things, and it's good to hear that your new employers recognize that.

You know, a day is going to come somewhere down the line where a bunch of us get together and discuss how the PEBA launched our respective new careers. And now that I've typed that, time for me to get back to work writing. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Cole »

John wrote:I genuinely like and respect you ...
As for the rest of us, the typically-affable John Rodriguez just pretends to like and respect us :lol:

All kidding aside (I hope!), congrats Frank, that's great news.

And yes David, I was impressed when I found out a couple years back that we had the creator of StatsLab in our midst too. Very cool.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Nigel »

It makes me feel very humble when another reminder arrives of what a talented bunch of GM's we have in the PEBA. Long may it continue, which I think it will given the history of the problems we have defeated so far to reach the final stages of the league's 19th season. We have lasted a long time gentlemen, here's to many more years
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by Rory »

That's awesome Frank. Congrats.
Kudos to John and the old vets here in the PEBA universe.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Evas »

Congratulations, Frank.

All the work you have put in over the years was so far beyond anything that anyone could expect. To have it pay off for you personally is extremely well deserved.

It's amazing what an impact a side project like this can have. My running the Evas has made me much better at my job and driven my career in ways I never could have expected.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Cole »

Evas wrote: It's amazing what an impact a side project like this can have. My running the Evas has made me much better at my job and driven my career in ways I never could have expected.
You've piqued my curiosity, how so?
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Zephyrs »

Congratulations Frank. I too have been helped in my career by the PEBA. This league has helped me to improve on my horrific writing skills. Being a better writer has opened a lot of doors for me that were previously closed. I never knew how important writing would be to my job when I first entered this field over twenty years ago. I tell my kids every day to try and improve their writing.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Evas »

Badgers wrote:You've piqued my curiosity, how so?
I am a mechanical engineer. Back when the LRS was first getting up and running in very early 2009, I worked for a pretty big consumer appliance company. I had worked for them for a little over a year at that point. I was doing support for existing products at the time (quality improvements, cost reductions, derivative models, etc. ). In jobs prior to that, I had been much more heavily design focused, albeit in a much different industry.

When I took over the Evas, they were in a pretty severe financial crunch. Because of the quirky OOTP financial system, my options were very limited. I had no ability to resign Free Agents, so I lost several big players to Free Agency against my will. In particular, I lost my star veteran catcher Kenko Nakamura. He went on to be a near legend in Edo. That did not sit well with me.

So I started plotting out the detailed financials of the entire LRS. I plotted out every single dollar spent and received in the LRS from 2010 through 2013. I got intimately familiar with all the financial ins and outs of OOTP. I also got good at budgeting, planning and forecasting. The effort was a big competitive advantage back then and helped my anticipate which teams were going to be in financial pain and would thus probably be open to moving talent for salary relief. I don't do it any more and I'm not sure if I could, given how restricted the financial reporting now is.

Anyway, my new found modest financial savvy paid off in spades at work. I got in to some philosophical arguments with the finance department and won. I became the go to engineer for costing. That lead to my leading a series of successful projects. That lead to a promotion. That lead to my being able that company for a new position with a better salary and life style in a much better company. Now instead of arguing over costs with Chinese OEM's, I get to mostly focus on making domestically manufactured products better. I am much happier for it.

So losing Kenko Nakamura seems to have been a plus in the long run.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”