Tony Stewart kills Kevin Ward Jr in Sprint Car race

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Tony Stewart kills Kevin Ward Jr in Sprint Car race

#16 Post by Bill »

Alleghenies wrote:Ultimately, I'm with Ron in saying that only Tony Stewart will really ever know what truly happened.
Really, this is the end of the story. We can't know. It is impossible to speculate about car trajectories, speeds, braking/not braking, etc...

It's certainly not hard to guess that maybe Stewart was trying to scare him a bit and that he expected Ward to get out of the way. But who knows, maybe he didn't see him. I think we'd all like to think he didn't hit him on purpose. Quite tragic indeed.

Also, thanks to Rory for his perspective as a driver.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by roncollins »

Now we find that Kevin Ward was driving under influence of marijuana? A strange and sad case gets stranger and sorrier.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
All-Star

#18 Post by Zephyrs »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Now we find that Kevin Ward was driving under influence of marijuana? A strange and sad case gets stranger and sorrier.
Agreed. Do they test drivers regularly? Seems like they should. I get tested for work all the time.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Rory
Triple-A
Triple-A

#19 Post by Rory »

This thing is strange Ron, to say the least. I really was expecting and hoping to hear that Tony Stewart just didn't see Kevin Ward jr and that he was buzzing his right rear tire to keep it from sealing up or something of that sort. Which is a common thing to do with a sprint car during yellows. And after I read the article and listened to the district attorney's press conference, I just gotta shake my head. It's coming across a little suspicious to me.

Scott, no they don't do drug testing in sprint car racing. I could be wrong but I don't think they test in drag racing either. They might if officials have suspicion, but not regularly. The district attorney claims that Ward jr was under the influence of pot which made him impaired. I seriously doubt Ward jr was under the influence of anything.

If in fact there was pot found in him, we all know that it stays in your system for 30 days. But to be impaired? I really have to laugh at that one.
And that Stewart was driving in a straight line. That Ward jr came down the track (which he did) while the track was hot and the cars were racing(which they were not). The fact that Stewart put Ward jr in the wall that caused the yellow in the first place, yet he didn't know where he was at? None of this makes sense to me.

These cars are one powerful and intense machines. If you guys have never been to a sprint race or haven't been since this Tony Stewart incident....go.
Make sure to get a pit pass.(Do not bring up the Stewart thing. Ya prolly want to keep that to yourself) But for approx $5 more you can bounce back and forth from being next to the cars, drivers and crews and back to the stands to watch the races. Go a little early to walk around the pits and see cool stuff. You'll love the experience. But better yet after you've stood next to one that has been fired off and shaking the ground, then watch them race. Ask yourself, is it's possible to drive these things in a race or even during a yellow flag for that matter, impaired?

That right there has put suspicion in me. If not using any witness' from the stands that actually saw first hand what happened wasn't enough. Of course they can't do that cause they herded everybody out of the track without questioning anyone. The cops just surrounded Stewart for protection. Per the news reports and peeps that said they were there on the forums. I was not there.

Kevin Ward jr's parents were there and saw it happen. They are relentlessly fighting this whole thing for a reason. I know it's their kid and I do know the racing community. If Ward's parents weren't sure of what they saw they would've already reached out to Tony to help him anyway they could. That's what racers do. It happens time and time again. But they're not.

But in the end it all about what Ron said:
Ultimately, I'm with Ron in saying that only Tony Stewart will really ever know what truly happened.
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Evas »

The whole pot implication seems like a purposely constructed defense of Stewart to me. It might even be true, but they are putting it out there to sway public opinion and deter a lawsuit.

I am not an expert in any of this stuff but I still haven't seen an explanation for why Stewart revved his engine.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”