Chessboxing

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chessboxing

#1 Post by John »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOMLxYbpPE

You know, as ridiculous as this concept sounds, I actually see the coolness factor. Boxing at its best is a very tactical sport. Obviously chess is the ultimate tactically challenging game. One requires great adrenaline and emotion; the other requires you to slow things down and act dispassionately. To really make this take off, though, you'd have to attract competitors who could put up a decent physical fight in addition to playing a good chess game.

Certainly a weird fusion, but perhaps not totally ludicrous. I don't know... what do you guys think?
Sandgnats (Bill)

#2 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

I am out in the country and only have dial-up available. So, for me to watch anything over 30 seconds on Youtube is tedious to say the least.

I just recently saw that clip on chessboxing. I have to say that I never would have thought of that idea in a million years. lol Chessboxing is an extremely intriguing idea! I think it is a brilliant concept in that both activities are very tactical by nature and that they also seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum of action.

To the untrained boxing eye, you see brute force and violence, which the majority of humans enjoy watching. To the untrained chess eye, you see two geeks racking their brains with hardly any physical movement at all.
That description of chess does not match my own. Aside from computer games, chess is hands down the best game ever invented! Chess appeals to my nature because I love to strategize.

Personally, I would suck at chessboxing! :( I do love chess and I do well against family members, but I do not play a lot nor have I put in the time to learn opening moves, etc. As far as boxing-lol I may have been able to survive up to my early 20's, but I would most assuredly get pummeled in the ring today against any kind of experienced boxer.

I think it's a phenomenal idea, but I don't think it has a chance to survive. But in America, there seems to be a market for just about anything imaginable. So, hopefully I'll be proven wrong! :grin:
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Duane »

ummmmmmm ..... yeah what he said I think
IL RULES
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

I almost think I'd be halfway decent at something like this... at least against beginner opponents. I've got the build for the boxing side and I'm not halfway terrible at chess (though I'm far from being an expert). It sounds kinda fun - well, at least as fun as getting hit in the face can sound. :grin:
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Maulers »

Fortunately, I don't have the build for boxing: plastic surgeons everywhere weep.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”