Bayou Brief: One on One with Tanner

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bayou Brief: One on One with Tanner

#1 Post by Reg »

By Scott Plack

7/22/2008 – After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I decided to go first hand and get the scoop straight from the source. I was somewhat concerned that Crazy Chuck Roy had kidnapped Tanner and taken over in the front office. Honestly, after finishing the interview it may be better if he did.

SP: So let’s cut to the chase… is there anything substantial about the rumors that McCullough is up for trade?

PT: Yes. McCullough and I sat down and talked, and I told him what was up. It’s a sellers market right now with so many teams competing for playoff spots. I assured McCullough that in all likelihood he would be headed to a contender, if indeed he was moved.

SP: Are you crazy?

PT: Maybe or maybe just a little bit bored. Unfortunately I won’t be at the trade deadline meeting, and so I thought I could shake things up a little, get people thinking and see what deals are out there. I am also looking to the future here, right now we are in a budget crunch and so many of our key players will be heading into free agent years soon, so we thought we could possibly free up some cash for next year and still put a championship team forward this year. Truth is, I am sick of struggling to hold on to first place in the Dixie division. When people think of the Trendsetters I want them to think domination, and this year or the next that window of opportunity shrinks with every passing game. McCullough only affects the game once every five games, a high caliber position player has the ability to make a difference day in and day out.

SP: Ok, let’s pretend that you aren’t crazy, who do you see as viable trade partners in all of this?

PT: The most likely teams reside in the Desert Hills division. Imperial teams would have to put an offer together that would knock my socks off, and for that matter so would Crystal Lake. So Aurora, Palm Springs, Bakersfield, and Reno would be the teams most likely to have the players that could swing this sort of deal. But I won’t rule out any team being able to put some kind of offer forward in hopes of getting one of the most dominant pitchers in PEBA.

SP: You sure you are feeling ok?

PT: Yeah, why do I look bad?

SP: Never mind, Scott's name has been kicked around as a possible pairing with McCullough, any other players?

PT: I could see Scott going, and maybe Valdez. Valdie has had a rough start to the year but he has come on strong and is tied for second on the team with 20 homeruns. Again, with players getting arbitration and the contracts we already have Valdez is one of those guys who we will probably have to let walk. But if a good team signs him then we could get a couple of good draft picks. If he stays around past the trade deadline that is. Scott is signed through next year and has suffered in hitting the ball because pitchers refuse to throw him stuff he can handle. His walks and obp are way up from last year however.

SP: Thank you for your time, umm..I guess I will go write this up…sheesh....nobody will believe me.

PT: Nobody does anyway.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “League News and Articles”