Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Hitmen GM should be whacked

#1 Post by Hitmen »

Why New Jersey Fans are Panicking in the Streets

By Will Janes, Baseball Americana
Monday, July 14, 2008

Take a look at the Pan-Atlantic division and, once again, the New Jersey Hitmen sit atop the division. Expand your view to the entire Imperial League and they remain (albeit tied) atop the league. And with a winning percentage near .600, it seems that Hitmen fans should once again prepare for postseason glory.

Or should they? A closer glance at the league shows that the reigning champions are merely 3 games away from missing the postseason entirely. In fact, 4 teams currently sitting outside of the wild card are within 8 games of the Hitmen. 2 of those teams are within 3 games.

And the news only gets worse. Against the 3 other teams sitting in the playoff spots the Hitmen are a measly 12-15, with their only winning record against Arlington (5-4). The next best team is Gloucester, against whom the Hitmen are a terrible 1-5. 13-20 against the next best 4 teams in the Imperial league does not bode well for New Jersey, and that is why they are anxiously awaiting the return of Cal Edwards, recently injured against Kentucky.

GM Matt Fuller has a large target on his back. After successfully guiding New Jersey to the championship, he spent the off-season spending the team’s new-found wealth and blowing up the championship roster. Even with the signing of Cal Edwards and trades for such stars as Alejandro Ortega and Manuel González, run production has been down and the team is not playing up to its (Pythagorean) potential.

Said Fuller, “Even as a championship-caliber team, you can’t stand pat. We had an opportunity to get younger and to improve our offense. Last season we relied on pitching, speed and defense; however, those abilities can fall off rapidly with an older team. I’m not just worried about 2008, but 2009 and beyond. Dynasties are nice in theory, but they can wreak havoc on the years after the winning stops. I’m here to make sure we always have a chance at the postseason.”

When asked if the Hitmen had any maneuverability to make trades or sign free agents he declined comment, which in itself may be a sign that things are brewing in Mercer County. Rumors abound that disappointing catcher Manuel González may be shopped, as well as rising starts John Knight and Albert Rishworth. Perhaps Fuller is ruing his attempt to forge a pitching staff with some unproven young starters (who, mind you, are all right-handed) and resigning aging but effective relievers. With little time left before the trade deadline, it remains to be seen if Fuller has the confidence and the resources to pull off a move to assure Hitmen fans that all is well in New Jersey.
Last edited by Hitmen on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Re: The Hitmen GM should be whacked

#2 Post by Coqui »

Hitmen wrote: it remains to be seen if Fuller has the confidence and the resources to pull off a move to assure Hitmen fans that all is well in New Jersey.
I'm going to say yes.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Longshoremen wrote:
Hitmen wrote: it remains to be seen if Fuller has the confidence and the resources to pull off a move to assure Hitmen fans that all is well in New Jersey.
I'm going to say yes.
I'll be a contrarian and say, "No." I just don't see Matt pulling off a big trade. Especially not the kind that lands the sort of big time pitcher with an incredibly hot wife that he'd really need to push him over the top. Nah, just don't see that happening.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:
I'm going to say yes.
I'll be a contrarian and say, "No." I just don't see Matt pulling off a big trade. Especially not the kind that lands the sort of big time pitcher with an incredibly hot wife that he'd really need to push him over the top. Nah, just don't see that happening.
Time to east those words, Commish. I just got Matos from Yuma, and here is his wife

My mistake, that's his mistress. Here is his wife.

You know, maybe I still have them mixed up....
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009

Return to “League News and Articles”