The Wharf- A Longshoremen Fan Blog

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

The Wharf- A Longshoremen Fan Blog

#1 Post by Coqui »

The Wharf is a Longshoremen fan blog. Select comments from the blog will be culled and posted here for reference.

Current rumour coming from a source in the Canton FO is that the Longshoremen nearly had their hands on Arlington OF Antonio Alfaro while only parting with a middle reliever or two. This is exactly the kind of move we have been waiting for GM Brad Dobney to make. This one, through no fault of the Canton management, fell through at the last minute due to league rules. It's good to finally see Dobney do something other bend team rules to allow his stars more time with their wives.

On the other hand, Dobney has still not addressed the starting pitching issue. Look, I don't know if he doesn't watch the games or just doesn't care but the next time I see Raul Cortez take the mound I am going to vomit. Interesting fact, my grandmother has better stuff than Cortez. I hear there are talks in progress with West Virgina but who knows. Maybe he is just trying to get another trophy wife for someone.

Posted by- CantonFan23
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I heard the gestapo dictator they have running PEBA axed the Alfaro trade. And I also heard he has ties to the Aurora Borealis ownership. Conflict of interest much?? :-? :D

Yay for another team blog! And double yay for fake user accounts! I'll add those in when posting these on the front page.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Coqui »

Well it looks like another disastorous week for our guys here in Canton. As of this point, we feature three starters with ERA's over 5 and only one guy who would be considered "good." Thankfully GM Dobney has made some great moves. Oh wait, you say, who has he gotten? No one. This guy needs to go.

-TuscRiverRider

TRR: I think I disagree here. Dobney has made some decent moves thus far in the year. Look at the talent he had to begin with, what would you have done with that? No one could have predicted Holloway (can we trade him but not his wife?), Ritchie, Sanchez and Perez would be so bad. No one could have known Stevens would ruin his career by diving headfirst into the wall. Dobney went and got some starting picthing help, he trimmed payroll and he has been unafraid to at least give the AAA guys a chance. Let's wait until next year before we decide to hate him.

-Jay
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Hey, is Jay from Let's Go Tribe! a Canton Longshoremen fan? We could use his expert analysis over here! Seriously though, I really like where these blogs are going. It's cool to have an entry like this where you get an opinion and then a counter-opinion.

My take is that it really has been a case of serious unluckiness for Canton, not poor management or drafting. Look at that staff BABIP: .336!! No other team in PEBA is sniffing that level of unluckiness. There are a lot of groundball pitchers on the staff, so it's not totally unexpected that the team BABIP will be higher... but that's just ludicrous. I wonder how much of an impact Manny Sánchez's sub-par defense and George Riley's weak arm are affecting the staff? I don't think Jack Campbell's shoddy CF play is helping matters any, either.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

Management wonders about those things as well. Unfortunately they have taken no steps towards remedying them. Winter ball will be instrumental. Assuming that moron Dobney figures things out.

-TuscRiverRider
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Coqui »

More rumour from your man on the inside here. It looks like the starting pitching issue could be one step closer to be resolved. A friend I have works for West Virginia and she called and told me that some talks have been held regarding Matt Chandler. Chandler isn't the second coming or anything but he is fairly young and fairly cheap. I hear we are sending some loose change and a A ball infielder. It sounds good to me.

- CantonFan23
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Coqui »

Well I was right about Chandler. What I did not see coming was the Yamauchitrade. Where did he get the balls to pull that one? His addition, and that of Chandler, really gives us a chance to have a decent rotation next year. Things could be interesting in spring training.

-CantonFan23

I don't know about this. We got a whole bunch of AAA pitching for a guy we should have used to boost our miserable offense and you are happy? If I didn't know better I would think you are Brad Dobney. Only he could defend trading Juany and not getting back a single decent major leaguer.

-TuscRiverRider
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Coqui »

Rumour in Canton is that we may see a bunch of new faces next year. It seems George Riley, Waylon Whaley, David Bell, Lee Ritchie and a bunch of others are either FA's or arbitration eligble. We don't have the money for them. Even I am getting depressed now.

-CantonFan23
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Coqui »

Some moves are coming down the line that could clear some cap space in Canton. Perennial malcontent Manny Sanchez has again declared that he wants no further part of Canton, the miserable weather, the terrible team or the lack of a booming nightlife. What will it take to unload this guy? Honestly, if he doesn't enjoy Belden Village on a Saturday night, there is something wrong with him.

-CantonFan23
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Duane »

My sources at Buffalo Wild Wings tells me that Sanchez sent a message through his agent to GM Rudis of Kentucky. It seems that after reading the daily routine report, Sanchez really wants to hang out with Bill.
bayoubob8
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Coqui »

Well it's been awhile but let us get this thing fired back up. I hear that we may open the season with two Rule 5'ers on the staff. What is that?
-Doug
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Coqui »

Longshoremen wrote:Well it's been awhile but let us get this thing fired back up. I hear that we may open the season with two Rule 5'ers on the staff. What is that?
-Doug
You "hear" that? You mean that you know how to read the rules, right? Pittman and Holland could be stuck in Canton all year but there is alwas hope that something gets worked.
-CantonFan23
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Coqui »

I hear from inside sources that there is a catch in the New Jersey trade that could be great for us and horrible for Holloway. Something about a pre-nup no-trade clause. We'll see.

-Jay

Return to “League News and Articles”