DET-FLA Blockbuster

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!

Better deal?

DET
40%
FLA
60%

Total votes: 5

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DET-FLA Blockbuster

#1 Post by Tyler »

Yikes!

Miguel Cabrera
Dontrelle Willis

for

Andrew Miller
Cameron Maybin
4 pitching prospects

Thoughts? I think this is lopsided in FLA's favor IF and ONLY IF Detroit can't extend Cabrera. They're getting one of the best hitters in baseball and a pitcher undervalued by everybody.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#2 Post by Matt »

Smart move by Florida either way. No way they can pay either Cabrera or Willis, so getting 6 players now is better than getting nothing later. In the here and now, big edge to Detroit for what they get on the field now. It will take a while to see how the deal shakes out for Florida, but either way, Florida made the right move.

Sad that baseball is in such sad shape in Florida, both Miami and Tampa. In the 80's Peter Ueberoth suggested expansion for Florida, but noting that the state would only support one team and that it should be centrally located in Orlando. Baseball screwed up and put two teams there, although that can mostly be blamed on the SF Giants and Chicago White Sox, both of whom used Tampa as a bargaining chip to get new stadiums, inciting a lawsuit from Tampa that resulted in them being awarded a franchise in expansion as a way of appeasement. Selig probably had the right idea a few years ago with contraction, and he should have eliminated the Tampa and Montreal franchises, which would have saved a lot of headaches. At this point Florida's baseball problem only gets solved if the Marlins move, which those of us in the Laredo area are hoping for as San Antonio is the talk for the Marlins destination, and if the Devil Rays move to Orlando and get away from that ridiculous dome and all those old people.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Hey, don't diss old people... you'll anger the Codgers! :grin:

We need an entry for "Totally awesome trade for both sides", 'cause that's what I'd vote for. I guess if I had to pick one side I'd say Detroit just because you know they've massively upgraded with Cabrera. Even if Willis can't turn it around - and I'm highly skeptical that he will - Cabrera's bat alone makes the deal worth it for Detroit.

But, oh man, what a haul for Florida! Who here would say they'd rather have any of the players rumored to be going from Boston to Minnesota in a Santana deal over Miller or Maybin? Maybe if you were talking about Buchholz, sure. But Lester? Ellsbury? For my money, give me Miller or Maybin any day.

So now the real question: does it matter? Or are they going to be selling off Miller and Maybin in a few years when they're blooming stars and the Marlins still can't afford to pay anybody? Will Miami get a new stadium built, or will the Calzones have to compete with the Marlins for market share?
Longshoremen

#4 Post by Longshoremen »

You guys might not know, but I am a Marlins and Yankees fan.

Now, I love Andrew Miller. Watching him pitch at North Carolina was like watching a man pitch to boys. I'm not in love with Maybin, but I'm inclined to trust the Florida eye for talent here, and we did need a CF, but now we need a 3B. I think we should've held out to see if we could force the Angels to give up Willits & Kendrick.

I give the nod to Detroit based on the fact that I think Florida might have short changed themselves here.
Longshoremen

#5 Post by Longshoremen »

Calzones wrote:At this point Florida's baseball problem only gets solved if the Marlins move, which those of us in the Laredo area are hoping for as San Antonio is the talk for the Marlins destination...
You're actually probably right on this.

However, New Jersey, has the population, love of baseball, & location to support an MLB team. However, the problem is it would have to be in Newark or Harrison. Problem is, the New York Teams would fight it.

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”