Scouting assignments

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scouting assignments

#1 Post by John »

One other matter of great import that all teams should attend to before tonight is their scouts' assignments. You have six big-league scouts available to you and you don't want to waste their talents! Each scout can be assigned multiple tasks through the scouting tasklist tab on their personnel page. Tasks like scouting an individual player will complete very quickly, while others (like scouting a whole league) may take months. I suggest assigning each scout a list of tasks as well as one "idle" task (something he'll do whenever his list runs out).

One special idle task is scouting nations for hidden talent. Let me warn you in advance, though, that you do not want to scout these 5 nations: Dominican Republic, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico or the United States. These nations are each home to pro baseball leagues in the PEBA universe, and OOTP will not allow you to discover hidden talents in such nations. The game will unfortunately allow you to select these nations from the "scout nation" drop-down menu, but don't do it! Your scouts will be wandering eternally, never once finding a hidden talent! Any other nation will work just fine.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Denny »

My scouts are winging their way to Iran, Mali, and Madagascar as we speak :grin:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:My scouts are winging their way to Iran, Mali, and Madagascar as we speak :grin:
Iran? Do your scouts moonlight as UN weapons inspectors? :P

My head scout has a much better assignment. He's hoofing it over to São Tomé and Príncipe. As soon as we consulted a map to discover where this is actually located (it's an island of the western coast of Africa, by the way), my man was on the case!

Now São Tomé and Príncipe is the only nation in the game to be listed with a population of 0. I have to admit this does put a bit of a damper on my hopes for finding a hidden talent. Come to think of it, it puts a damper on my hopes for finding an airstrip, a working bathroom or a decent meal, too.

However, it also means my scout will be able to take over São Tomé and Príncipe unopposed. When my lease is up at Northern Lights Field and the city of Aurora starts playing hardball with me on funding a new stadium, owning my own African island ought to be a great bargaining chip. Talk about cheap development land!
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

I've sent most of my guys to scout the minors...seems so boring in comparison. :roll:
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

I sent my guys to college and HS levels for the most part. No grandstanding island takeovers here.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Denny »

Speaking of which, when (as in what dates within the PEBA sim) do the amateur and Rule 5 drafts happen?

Is there a league calendar out there that I'm missing? If not, there should be, by golly.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:Speaking of which, when (as in what dates within the PEBA sim) do the amateur and Rule 5 drafts happen?

Is there a league calendar out there that I'm missing? If not, there should be, by golly.
PEBA's Amateur Draft is held annually June 7th. The draft pool is currently set to reveal 60 days in advance of the draft, though there's been some talk amongst the LPs and me about changing that (it'll depend on if we're conducting another live draft or drafting through the forums). The date of the Rule 5 draft varies from year to year but will occur during our Winter Meetings held in early December.

You're right, there should be a calendar of events. I'll make it a point to get one up when I get some free time.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

scouting...

#8 Post by Ghosts »

how come the "first" task for a scout CANNOT be to scout a nation? It only allows me scout nations if I'm "idle" (though I suppose I can get around this by just filling in tasks for when the scout is idle and not give a primary tast...though this seems odd).

also, does your warning not to scout certain countries also cover the winter leagues, etc. in those countries? this seems worth scouting, but maybe i'm missing something.

i've got an hour to figure this out and right now i'm clueless (as usual).
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

Yeah, the way the game handles scouting nations is odd. You're correct that the only way you can do it is through an "idle" task (same with scouting your opposition).

Don't scout any nation with a pro league in PEBA's universe! This includes the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (home to our winter leagues). Your scouts will endlessly search without finding anything! You can use Manager --> Explore World menu to decide upon suitable nations to target.
Longshoremen

Re: scouting...

#10 Post by Longshoremen »

Bears wrote:how come the "first" task for a scout CANNOT be to scout a nation? It only allows me scout nations if I'm "idle" (though I suppose I can get around this by just filling in tasks for when the scout is idle and not give a primary tast...though this seems odd).
Just how OOTP is set up. You nailed how to do it.
Bears wrote:also, does your warning not to scout certain countries also cover the winter leagues, etc. in those countries? this seems worth scouting, but maybe i'm missing something.

i've got an hour to figure this out and right now i'm clueless (as usual).
Yes it includes Winter Leagues. FYI You can scout all those leagues, but keep in mind you're scouting them for future free agents. You might want to scout the "Possible Free Agents" area of those teams front office. I do this by adding each player to my shortlist then scouting them from there.
Last edited by Longshoremen on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

thanks...but

#11 Post by Ghosts »

never mind...you answered it when i was typing.

thanks guys!
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Cole »

PEBA's Amateur Draft is held annually June 7th

January 3rd to June 6th is 155 days. Is that enough time to scout the necessary leagues (just college and HS, im guessing) before the draft? and its 133 for anyone who hasn't assigned scouts for this sim.
Longshoremen

#13 Post by Longshoremen »

Badgers wrote:PEBA's Amateur Draft is held annually June 7th

January 3rd to June 6th is 155 days. Is that enough time to scout the necessary leagues (just college and HS, im guessing) before the draft? and its 133 for anyone who hasn't assigned scouts for this sim.
Actually when the Draft Class is published you can assign your scouts to scout the entire draft class and it only takes 20 days.
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Cole »

Gothic Knights wrote:
Badgers wrote:PEBA's Amateur Draft is held annually June 7th

Actually when the Draft Class is published you can assign your scouts to scout the entire draft class and it only takes 20 days.
thanks, completely forgot about that option.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”