MLB's draconian restrictions on online coverage

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

MLB's draconian restrictions on online coverage

#1 Post by John »

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080409/175754805.shtml

What bothers me more isn't that MLB would try to limit coverage; it's that newspapers would roll over and acquiesce to their patently ridiculous demands. Journalism isn't what it used to be. Good God, men, show some backbone!

I completely agree with the author of this article: the negotiated compromise is a joke. Removing content after 72 hours? Looks at all the material we link to for our stories. Now imagine if that content had to be deleted 72 hours after it was posted. What would the net result be? Maybe I'd be less interested in Metallica or awesome hockey brawls or Tara Reid (well, okay, less likely, but you get the point).

All of these resources have been linked to in recent stories, and all have been available for much, much longer than 72 hours. Take that away and you're not forcing me to consume my baseball online through MLB.com. You're sapping my interest.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: MLB's draconian restrictions on online coverage

#2 Post by Hitmen »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:http://techdirt.com/articles/20080409/175754805.shtml

What bothers me more isn't that MLB would try to limit coverage; it's that newspapers would roll over and acquiesce to their patently ridiculous demands. Journalism isn't what it used to be. Good God, men, show some backbone!

I completely agree with the author of this article: the negotiated compromise is a joke. Removing content after 72 hours? Looks at all the material we link to for our stories. Now imagine if that content had to be deleted 72 hours after it was posted. What would the net result be? Maybe I'd be less interested in Metallica or awesome hockey brawls or Tara Reid (well, okay, less likely, but you get the point).

All of these resources have been linked to in recent stories, and all have been available for much, much longer than 72 hours. Take that away and you're not forcing me to consume my baseball online through MLB.com. You're sapping my interest.
I'd love to see them try to enforce this though...what do they do, pull the media credentials? Tough to sell your product if there's no coverage.

But they try to kill off the sport once every 10-15 years or so, don't they? This must be the season.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Ghosts »

um....do you all have amnesia?

this is the same group of people who think it's a great idea to give FOX national television black-out power for all saturday day games.

this is the same group of people that spent years celebrating the long ball when everyone knew it was steroid-inspired joke.

this is the same group that puts its post-season games on so late at night that nobody under 14 who lives east of the mississippi could possibly get to watch them.

do i need to continue?
Badgers

#4 Post by Badgers »

Bears wrote:um....do you all have amnesia?

this is the same group of people who think it's a great idea to give FOX national television black-out power for all saturday day games.

this is the same group of people that spent years celebrating the long ball when everyone knew it was steroid-inspired joke.

this is the same group that puts its post-season games on so late at night that nobody under 14 who lives east of the mississippi could possibly get to watch them.

do i need to continue?
Wait, west coast teams make the playoffs?
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Hitmen »

Nutmeggers wrote:
Bears wrote:um....do you all have amnesia?

do i need to continue?
Wait, west coast teams make the playoffs?
In PEBA 2.0 they do :P
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Ghosts »

Hitmen wrote:
In PEBA 2.0 they do :P
Just an update, in PEBA 2.0 they just retired every current Bears' number...league wide. And they've renamed "the Rodriguez Cup" the "Thing That Goes To the Bears After Every Season Cup".

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”