MIN-TB Blockbuster: Who got the better deal?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!

Who got the better side of the deal?

Minnesota
50%
TB
33%
It was an even trade
17%

Total votes: 6

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIN-TB Blockbuster: Who got the better deal?

#1 Post by John »

Wow, that an enormous deal that just went down in MLB last night! Seriously, this six player trade headlined by Matt Garza and Delmon Young could end up setting the course for these two franchises for the next 10 years. I can't remember the last time two such enormously talented prospects were swapped for each other.

My initial reaction is that a lot of prospect hounds will say MIN got the better end of the deal because Young is #1-#3 on most top prospects lists. Anyone following minor league ball has been hearing the hype on him for years. His minor league stats aren't eye-popping until your realize how young he's been at each level. But color me skeptical: I just think that his well-documented character issues (example) are going to keep him from reaching his ceiling... or at least staying there for any length of time. I'm just not sure he'll be able to exert the control over himself he needs to in order to harness all his undeniable talent.

And while people are going to toss out the ol' "TINSTAAPP" excuse for downgrading Garza, to me he looks like as sure a bet to become a long-term solid #2 starter as any prospect in baseball. We got a chance to see him some in the second half of '07. He looked poised to me and, more importantly, I didn't notice anything especially terrifying about his delivery that would scream, "Injury waiting to happen!" I see Garza eventually settling in between Kazmir and Shields to finally give TB a rotation that can strike fear into people.

My sense is that these are two franchises passing each other as they head in different directions. MIN has been in a slow decline for awhile now. With Hunter gone and Santana and Nathan most likely to follow soon, we may not be far off from seeing them in full-bore rebuilding mode. I think TB is very close to reaping the benefit of strong drafts and trades. Maybe it's not so crazy to think someone other than NY or BOS can compete in the AL East.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#2 Post by Denny »

Not only is Garza likely to be a very good starter in the major leagues for years to come, but as Aaron Gleeman, my go-to source for all things Twin, notes, Jason Bartlett is a superior player to Brendan Harris as well, particularly defensively, which further weakens Minnesota's already weak infield. He also likes the prospect TB is getting better than the one going to the Twins.

The only way the Twins come out on top of this deal is if Delmon Young develops into a superstar, which is possible, but not likely, considering his hacking tendencies and the fact he is an immature trouble-prone hothead.

Advantage Rays.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

Baseball America has their quick take of the trade up. And for a slightly different take on the trade than the ones posted here so far, click here.
Longshoremen

#4 Post by Longshoremen »

I'm gonna go with Minnesota gettin the better end here at the moment, but it could change.

I hear what Codgers is saying, but I really think Delmon Young is going to become a superstar. My only reservation is the bat throwing incident. I know people write it off now, but I wonder if it wasn't a sign of a greater issue.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Denny »

Gothic Knights wrote:My only reservation is the bat throwing incident. I know people write it off now, but I wonder if it wasn't a sign of a greater issue.
Yes, that is the main reason I think he will fail to live up to his potential. It's not the only time he's displayed an anger-management problem--he also got into trouble in the minors for bumping an umpire, and TB sat him for a game after he yelled at Joe Maddon.

Maybe the Twins can swing a deal to get Elijah Dukes while they're at it :)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”