Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Aurora Storialis - The Borealis Blog

#31 Post by Borealis »

NLN: Breaking News
Roach Dealt to Sovereign League Foe?

by Ray D. Enze, NLN baseball blogger

November 17, 2012: Aurora, Colorado- The baseball world is awash with reports that Former Golden Arm John Roach has been dealt in a move that is described as strictly financial. Details have not been released, but it is expected that the Borealis gave up more than it is receiving in body terms, but financial relief from Roach's $24M contract may very well make up for any player loss.
Last edited by Borealis on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by klewis »

Interesting, where will he land? My first guess would be Reno since they have publicly stated that they are willing to take on bad contracts. Although not a SL team, I would not be surprised if he went to San Antonio.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Matt
VIP
VIP

#33 Post by Matt »

Featherheads wrote:Interesting, where will he land? My first guess would be Reno since they have publicly stated that they are willing to take on bad contracts. Although not a SL team, I would not be surprised if he went to San Antonio.
OH HELL NO!!

Our courtesy with bad contracts has been extended to teams that needed help. It's not a courtesy we would ever extend to one of the powerhouse teams. EVER. As far as I'm concerned, when one of the powerhouse teams has a bad contract, the rest of are better served by letting them eat every last bite of it themselves.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#34 Post by John »

Looking forward to finding out where "Pep" is going to land! I've been really sorry to see John's backslide the last couple of years. I hope he lands on his feet and rebounds with his new team.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by klewis »

Calzones wrote:
Featherheads wrote:Interesting, where will he land? My first guess would be Reno since they have publicly stated that they are willing to take on bad contracts. Although not a SL team, I would not be surprised if he went to San Antonio.
OH HELL NO!!

Our courtesy with bad contracts has been extended to teams that needed help. It's not a courtesy we would ever extend to one of the powerhouse teams. EVER. As far as I'm concerned, when one of the powerhouse teams has a bad contract, the rest of are better served by letting them eat every last bite of it themselves.
Lol, well there goes my speculation. I was thinking of a Roach for Butch Corrigan swap. Aurora saves $4 mil in the long run whereas San Antonio saves $8 million this season with a chance of trading Roach in 2014.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Borealis »

Roach a Tenpinner
by Ray D. Enze

November 17, 2012: Aurora, Colorado - A brief press conference was called at Northern Lights Park to make an announcement confirming speculation that had run rampant through PEBA the past 24 hours.

"We are hear today to announce that John Roach's tenure with the Aurora Borealis has come to an end," began GM Will Topham, "as of this afternoon, we have moved John, along with minor league prospect Dale Griffith, to the Reno Tenpinners in exchange for starting pitcher Jose Reyes and minor league outfielder Joe Edwards."

The hastily gathered press corps broke out into a loud ruckus at the announcement. "It is with a sense of sadness that we move John who, up until his injury at the start of the 2011 season, was one of the premier pitchers in the league. He was the 2008 Golden Arm winner for us, twice winning 20 games. Unfortunately his injury has led to a rapid demise in performance on the field that no longer justified his salary. With our stated goal of maintaing a balanced financial sheet, and being in the black, when the opportunity to move John and his contract came upon us, we really had to jump at the chance." The junior Topham scanned the stunned crowd and continued, "It's not a reflection on John the person, this was strictly a business move. We wish him great luck in Reno - as long as it's not at our expense. John is one of the great men in our game and we realize that he will be sorely missed by our fans."

With the trade of Roach there will no doubt be a wide open competition for the final two spots in the pitching rotation behind Bradley, Kojima and Tillman. It is expected that Reyes will openly compete with 'Sugar Bear' Garcia, Francisco Chavez, George Thompson and perhaps swing man Jeff Marable and AAA starter Tony Gordon for one of those two spots. Spring Training can not come fast enough.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by klewis »

Nelly from WFLA radio wrote:So, I just heard Roach is leaving Aurora. I bet the Colorado folks are dancing in their snow boots right about now! Guys like him are the reasons why our economy is so bad. Even Terminix wouldn't touch that pest. Now only if Thompson can join him!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Borealis »

Aurora Off-Season Happenings
by Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger

December 6, 2012: Aurora, Colorado – The snow may be piling up around Northern Lights Park and all throughout the Front Range, but kindling is being fed to the hot stove this winter.

Poirier Bids Farewell to Teammates; Weaver, Turner Join In

Alexander Poirier hosted his former Aurora teammates during a catered meal at his downtown art gallery, AuroBora. In keeping with his new home in New Orleans, the meal was catered by Denver’s Gumbo’s restaurant. “I’ve played with most of these guys for four, five, six seasons, and moving to New Orleans means I’m not going to see them very much,” Poirier said when asked about his motivation for the fête. “And what better way to do it than with the food of my new home? Great food, great art. I’m looking forward to the time I’ll have in N’Orlens,” he drawled.

Virtually all of the Aurora roster was on hand, though conspicuous by his absence was “El Chupacabra”. Reports are he was at his family’s home in Brazil and unavailable for comment.

Poirier’s party gave other members of the Aurora team a chance to say their good-byes as well. Chris Weaver sat with a massive pile of crawfish in front of him, sprawling across a copy of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I’m going to miss this team and this town. What’s going to happen is beyond me. I’m leaving it in the hands of my agent. I told him, ‘Call me when there’s an offer.’ I’m waiting.”

A teary-eyed “Pep” Roach was seen in a corner having an animated conversation with Bill Bradley. Word has it Roach was giving “Slappy” some last-minute advice about being the best you can be. It’s assumed the former Golden Arm winner will have plenty to share with the budding star when Aurora and Reno match up in 2013.

Conspicuous by their absence were the Aurora brass, who apparently were not invited.

Roster Movement Update

Many high-profile members of the Borealis are on the move, their time in Aurora having come to an end. First up, Alexander Poirier moves on to New Orleans in exchange for minor league prospect Kane Talley. The move hopefully provides Poirier a chance to regain his stroke and regain the playing time that he lost in Aurora, primarily due to the acquisition of Octávio Pexego in 2011.

Also traded was John Roach, shipped off to Reno along with hot prospect Dale Griffith for SP José Reyes and minor league outfielder Joe Edwards. Unlike the Poirier deal that returned a potential future starter, Aurora gave up a top prospect for financial relief that Reno provided by taking on Roach’s $12M contract. This is a tactic that has gathered a lot of steam across the league. It shall be interesting to see in 3-4 years time if this is a smart move by these teams taking on those bad contracts or a massive blunder.

Aurora’s other personnel moves were decisions on free agents. Chris Weaver, Aaron Turner and Salvador Bernal all were allowed to walk to free agency, although the team did offer Turner and Weaver arbitration. Bernal’s release was no surprise, but Weaver and Turner’s $20M requests was looked upon with disdain and Aurora chose to turn to the emergent Cory Pierce and the young En-guo Guao.

Winter Ball Happenings

Winter Ball is fast approaching and two members of the Borealis will be taking advantage of the chance to hone their skills. Newly extended José Rivera, no stranger to the big leagues, will spend time this winter working on his pitch selection in a hope to improve his OBP and hopefully see his average skyrocket by swinging at better pitches. AAA outfielder Brad Cain will join Rivera and plans on working on his offensive game as a whole. All the scouts in the Aurora system strongly believe that Cain is close to forcing the team to take him on the big league roster, possibly platooning with Guao in CF. A stay in Winter Ball may give him that nudge.

The team had originally planned on sending Guao for the same intense work Rivera is going to undertake, but Rivera faces his last chance to take advantage of this opportunity, so it was determined he would get the nod. Word is another player under consideration was pitcher Tony Gordon at AAA Thornton.

Rule 5 Draft

Another season went by with Aurora sitting on the sidelines of the Rule 5 draft. Having a solid 25-man roster, there really were no players out there who would make an impact. With the roster moves made, freeing up five spots on the 40-man roster, Aurora was able to add five eligible players: AAA relievers Pat MacComie and Mark O’Brien, AAA infielders John Davis and Jesús Rangel, and AA infielder Bill Williams.

Aurora lost one player to the draft this year: AAA MR Juan Cardenas. Drafted by the Duluth Warriors, Juan was 3-1 with 9 saves and a 4.84 ERA in 2012. Cardenas is perhaps best known for his ability to keep the ball in the park, giving up 3 HR in 61 innings and only 15 in a career 251 IP. The loss of Cardenas is not expected to have a major impact on the organization. His spot on the AAA roster is likely to be taken by Mark Newton, who has pitched very well at both AA and A-ball the past four years.

Aurora Australis

Brief notes from the southern end of this report: It’s believed that after signing José Rivera to an extension, the club has begun exploratory discussions with the agents for Bill Bradley and Bryant Burris, with the possibility of extensions being signed by these young fireballers being eminent…

Aurora continues to explore trades for a top-of-the-line starting pitcher. It’s believed they are willing to part ways with Steve McDonald or John Knight in the right deal…

With the acquisition of José Reyes from Reno, Aurora has four pitchers who head into spring training planning on battling for the fifth spot in the rotation: George Thompson, Francisco Chávez, Jeff Marable and the aforementioned Reyes. Tony Gordon (from AAA) may also confuse the situation…

“Sugar Bear” is reportedly slotted into the four-spot in the rotation. After a year off, word is that he’s home in Florida and working hard to build up his endurance, something that took a big hit while on the shelf for 11 months…
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Borealis »

Winter Meetings a Bust; Aurora Stands Pat For Now

December 17, 2012: Aurora, Colorado – The 2012 version of the PEBA annual Winter Meetings came to a close yesterday with a few teams being very active: the perpetually active Calzones, New Orleans, Yuma, and Manchester in particular, and one major trade of note involving a big-time PEBA name as the Coal Sox dealt four-time IL All-Star George Riley to Dixie Rival Florida. The Aurora Borealis, on the other hand, sat on the sidelines, spectators looking in on the spectacle, coming away empty handed.

Aurora GM Will Topham appeared on his weekly KOA drive time radio spot and had this to say about Aurora's lack of moves, "We went into the meetings with only one move in mind, improve our starting pitching. We've been working on that, really since the end of the PEC. We had what may be characterized as ongoing discussions with an Imperial League team about Bob Keller that would have had no immediate impact on the organization, but those talks fell through in the 11th hour. Most of the discussions we've had have not amounted to much, and we are not willing, at this time, to extend ourselves organizationally. We are prepared to deal a big name from the major league roster if needed, but we have guys in the system targeted for the future Aurora roster and for now we plan on sticking to that plan. We feel that for now we have the arms to continue to keep us competitive."

Needless to say, failing to win the Rodriguez Cup the past two seasons, despite having the best record in the PEBA, has fans a little testy with the Aurora management. Here is a taste of some of the calls fielded during that drive time hour:
Hector from Denver wrote:This team has too many stars to begin with. Why don't they just package some guys together, like White and Berry and get a pitcher. That 'Mayor' dude in Glowster would be da king
"Aurora prides itself on the strong, powerful line-up," Topham began, "and although we may move someone from the 25-man roster, we won't gut it any more; at least the position players."
Bobby from Louisville wrote:I think you need to do what ever you can to get another pitcher in here. I've had season tickets since the Inaugural season and last years pitching was the worst. It's come down to if Bradley isn't pitching, I don't want to go to the game. Come on!
"Bobby, we're trying. Pitching has suddenly become a commodity, and teams don't seem willing to give it up freely."
Louise from Greely wrote:I love the Borealis, and watch the games on TV every night. How about Pedro Barron? I hear he's available.
Topham paused, took a deep breath and let out a sigh, "Well, we've discussed that option internally, and frankly, we're not sure how much dealing with the Bears is prudent. Their losing Cordova will certainly make them more active. Whether it lowers the ticket price on Pedro Barron or not remains to be seen. Would we like 'Rival', of course. Could we get him? Perhaps. Will it happen? Unlikely, but stranger things have happened. George Riley's in Florida now."
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by Borealis »

Aurora, KOA to Announce Shake-up

December 12, 2012: Aurora, Colorado – Word has come out late this evening that the Aurora Borealis and Denver station KOA, flagship of the Borealis broadcasts, will hold a press conference to announce changes to their radio broadcast. No particulars have come to front about what the changes are. Speculation is that the team and the radio station may be having difficulties renewing the contracts of former players turned radio personalities Mark Gunter and George Crocker, who were hired prior to the 2011 season. Gunter, of course, is remembered for a career cut short by greed, and Crocker's cut short due to a devastating injury.

When reached for a comment, the response from both the Aurora camp and KOA has been, "No comment."
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by klewis »

Interesting to hear. You can surely bet A.K and Nelly will be watching.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Borealis »

Breaking News

December 13, 2012: Aurora, Colorado - 9:30 AM MST - Word just in that two dark colored, rental Escalades pulled up to Northern Lights Park and unloaded two TV crews from what appear to be a Latin American station. No sign as to where they may be from, nor were they available for comment as they were quickly whisked into the building by Borealis security teams. Why the sudden interest in the Aurora Borealis from south of the border is anyone's guess.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Borealis »

Breaking News

December 13, 2012: Aurora, Colorado - 12:17 PM MST - Reports are that the KOA broadcast team of Mark Gunter and George Crocker have made an appearance at Northern Lights Park, entering through the business office entrance. Also of note, a satellite dish has been set-up outside the park. More to come as information trickles in.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#44 Post by Borealis »

A Crocker Dream Come True
By Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger

December 13, 2012: Aurora, Colorado (2:00 PM MST) – George Crocker and the management teams of the Aurora Borealis and KOA radio convened this afternoon to announce shocking news: That the former PEBA outfielder signed a deal to join the Bogota Caribs of the World Baseball League, effective immediately.

“Gentlemen, we would like to say that Mr. Crocker’s signing with Bogota comes as a surprise to us all,” began KOA spokesman Bill Madeliane. “It is well documented that Mr. Crocker has been actively meeting with teams across the globe, looking for a chance to make a comeback. He can speak about the details himself, but as far as we are concerned, Mr. Crocker is dedicated to continuing his work with Mr. Gunter, and thanks to the folks at Apple Computers, we will have Mr. Crocker outfitted with the latest video-conferencing equipment to continue his role on the award winning ‘A Crock of Gunt’ radio show.”

George Crocker and Mark Gunter were hired shortly before the 2011 season to co-host a pre-game radio show which became an instant success, partly because of the antics of Crocker. One of Crocker’s goals has been to return to the field. Fans are familiar with his exploits, having traveled from Kyoto to Botswana in search for a job. Numerous times during the 2012 season, Crocker has mentioned the likelihood of signing with Bogota. Most have dismissed these stories as a part of Crocker’s injury-induced “dementia”.

“With no further comments,” Aurora GM Will Topham said, “I’ll let George Crocker tell his story.” Crocker rose and approached the podium wearing the bright red of the Bogota Caribs.

“I’m, like, totally stoked, dudes. I told you all that good ole George Crocker still had it. Man, they’re going to be so happy and proud to have George Crocker on their team. People are buying tickets up in droves. I can’t wait to start. They may not be the best team in the league, but George Crocker is going to lead them to the title. Mark my words. Heh, get it? Mark? Mark Gunter? Heh, pretty good, eh Marky?”

With that, George Crocker gazed over at his partner. “Have no fear though; I will be as good as gold from the road. I got your back Mark-o.”

The World Baseball League season runs from early August through March. Currently, the Caribs are 57-62, sitting in 4th place, eight games out. With 43 games left in their season, the team has been searching for both offensive as well as box office help. One can speculate that the signing of Crocker is more a PR move than anything else.

When asked about his new contract, Crocker said, “Dude, it’s a sweet deal. They’re paying me $250,000 dollars – cash! Dude, solid greenbacks for 40 games of work. Cashed those puppies right into the bank. They said there were also numerous off-field opportunities to earn more money through appearance fees. Man, I’ll be the richest man in Bogota, and have you seen those girls down there? Babe-a-licious is all I have to say. Whoo hooo… George Crocker is a lucky dude!”

Crocker is expected to meet his new team in Brisbane as they take on the Dingos this Friday. Crocker’s first games at Bogota will follow the next week as Bogota hosts Caracas. Eyes will be cast upon the rival league, as Crocker is the first former PEBA player to turn to what is considered by most as a “minor league”.

Mark Gunter was approached after the press conference and asked for his thoughts on the move by his partner. His response was simply uncontrolled laughter.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Tyler »

Interesting. Is this "World Baseball League" a pure concoction for this article? For a moment I thought it might be another OOTP league, which would be quite interesting (technically as well) but have some interesting universe effects.

So there's leagues our OOTP PEBA file doesn't model - they must be really low quality! :-L
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...

Return to “Aurora Borealis”