All Star Voting Observations

Badgers

All Star Voting Observations

#1 Post by Badgers »

So yea I check out the league leaders stats, but don't strain my eyes too much while doing so. I go an vote today, and what do I see? George Riley has 94BB's already? Holy ****.
That was observation #1. Observation #2 is that is seems like the SL has better individual hitters and pitchers, though AUR has a few All Star candidates. Has it been like this in years past? If not does this mean that the IL will lose to the SL this season? :-*
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: All Star Voting Observations

#2 Post by klewis »

I'm interested to see what are people's voting criteria. For myself, I say probably 85-90% performance and 10-15% if the player is playing for a winning team or division leader. Do some people also try to vote with the MLB rule in mind (at least one All-Star per team)? I don't follow the rule myself but I'm not opposed to the idea.

By the who, I am not sure who voted for Morimoto but thanks! I did not vote for Mr. Morimoto but I suppose he's getting national attention due to some publicity from articles and blogs :grin: I do hope CL Jesse Powell gets in. He does not have the saves due to him being a setup man but his peripheral numbers are pretty darn nasty.

The hardest position to vote for was outfield since you only get to choose 3. I do apologize to Pedro Silva. I totally forgot about him while scanning that long list of outfielders. I would have voted for him in hindsight.

What about London's players SP Anthony Cox and OF Remi Young? Talk about guys you would have never predicted to have such magical seasons. Career years for both of them!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Badgers

#3 Post by Badgers »

I don't take how well the players team is doing into consideration at all. Just going by the stats over here, maybe a little bit of fanaticism, but mostly stats.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Featherheads wrote:I'm interested to see what are people's voting criteria. For myself, I say probably 85-90% performance and 10-15% if the player is playing for a winning team or division leader. Do some people also try to vote with the MLB rule in mind (at least one All-Star per team)? I don't follow the rule myself but I'm not opposed to the idea.
While no one is required to vote for one All-Star per term, note that I do make sure that every team is represented in the game. To accomplish this, sometimes a player who received more votes is left out in favor of one who received less but who plays for a team in need of a representative.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Tyler »

Nutmeggers wrote:So yea I check out the league leaders stats, but don't strain my eyes too much while doing so. I go an vote today, and what do I see? George Riley has 94BB's already? Holy ****.
Although he is on pace to break his own PEBA record which he set last year, he is only on pace to break it by three walks.

Yet, somehow, he does not lead the Coal Sox in OBP. :shock:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Aaron Tassano

#6 Post by Aaron Tassano »

I'm interested to see what are people's voting criteria. For myself, I say probably 85-90% performance and 10-15% if the player is playing for a winning team or division leader. Do some people also try to vote with the MLB rule in mind (at least one All-Star per team)? I don't follow the rule myself but I'm not opposed to the idea.
I found myself looking at the few stats I value most, but then throwing in a few that I consider to be a little arbitrary...like W-L record for pitchers and saves. I voted for players from every team, but overwhelmingly my votes went to players playing for division leaders, and I didn't shy away from voting in most of Edo.

I'll be lucky if Kure has more than the one required representitive, but it'll still be fun to see how it plays out.
Iyou Seigyoki
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by Iyou Seigyoki »

I didn't pay any attention to the teams, just the stats. I kind of mirrored major league baseball, by voting in the most saves and best W-L record. After picking the three best in those catagories, I went with ERA. For hitters I payed most attention to OPS and run production.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Bill »

I pretty well voted the numbers with almost complete disregard to team performance. If you're having a good year, it's not your fault you're surrounded by scrubs. OPS was the big one for hitters, though extreme numbers in other categories warranted consideration as well. Pitchers took their value from WHIP (mostly) and ERA (a little bit). Arbitrary stats like wins and saves were ignored. Additionally, players got special dispensation if I had good feelings towards them (i.e., they hadn't killed me this year, I sent them away in a good trade, they have a kind face, et c.). That was pretty much it.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

For those who like to vote based on a particular statistic or two, let me remind you that you can sort the All-Star listing by clicking on the name of the stat in the header. Click on a second stat and it will sort by that new stat while using the first stat as a tiebreaker. This is true with any stat display within the utilities.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by klewis »

I didn't vote for him myself but I feel bad for Kwang-Chih Zhu. I voted for Pexego in the DH spot. But wow poor guy. In the IL, he is second in HR (25), third in RBIs (69), first in runs scored (72), and first in slugging (.596). I think the most impressive number is his 221 total bases. The closest IL guy to him is Jeff Cline at 188! Scary enough, the SL has someone with 222 total bases (Michael Smith).

I didn't vote for Morimoto either but it looks like this past sim he finally caught up to Lluea in numbers. He's been playing great ever since that beard article came out. Ha not sure if it is a coincidence or not :wink:
Paul Moots

#11 Post by Paul Moots »

I voted stats primarily... but I paid a lot of attention to stolen bases and walks and such. Obviously paid attention to HRs, but SBs too.
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Zephyrs »

I could care less what team a player plays for -- if Albert Pujols played for Washington, he'd still be an All-Star worthy stud(granted, he wouldn't have the name recognition, but that shouldn't matter---although it obviously does in real life)

I don't even look at the team the player is on(and yes, 7 Borealis players got votes from me and zero Tenpinners)

Now, MVP is another completely different story in my opinion

And I look at two primary stats----OPS and SB(OPS is a pretty good indicator of how you help your team at the plate) and SB is the best indicator of how you help your team on the bases(those players tend to score lots of runs as well); if its close, then I look at defense
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by klewis »

Yeah good point on defense. I wished the utility would show some type of defensive stats. Then again, OOTP does not have much defensive stats anyway. To help with the voting, I usually go into the game and look under statistics while sorting positions.

In terms of voting based on winning teams, I only do that if two players I see are even. If a player on a losing team is clearly the best, I vote for him always. If two players are neck and neck, I may sway my vote to the player on a playoff contention team.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Coqui »

I vote based completely on the stats. Much like Joel, I pay the most attention to WHIP for pitchers and OPS for hitters. Occasionally a bit of player bias slips in, but I try to keep that as rare as possible.
James
GM San Juan Coqui

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”