Defense in OOTP

DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Defense in OOTP

#1 Post by DanD »

I was just doing some thinking:

How much weight does defense have in OOTP? Have there been any studies/experiments done in the game to see how much the quality of defense affects a teams play?
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Sandgnats (Bill)

Re: Defense in OOTP

#2 Post by Sandgnats (Bill) »

Great question!
I do not have any statistical evidence to back it up, but I do believe having superb defense compared to below average/poor defense makes a significant impact. If I have time, I will play with that in a personal league and update this thread.

Additionally, having great defense adds to players arbitration value and scouting ratings. Although I do not have any staistical evidence now, there is an immediate monetary difference. Using logic, if defense is significant enough to impact salaries, one would think the difference on the field would be just as noticeable. Don't you think?
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by DanD »

Yeah, that does makes sense.

I also wonder how much difference it makes if the player is average defensively and average-to-good offensively, compared to star defensively but poor-to-'almost average' offensively.

Just thinking out loud :-P
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Jim

#4 Post by Jim »

In my early years of OOTP, I always leaned toward picking defensive infielders, sacrificing some offense in the process. But somewhere along the line, I was forced to play a 4/10 rated SS for a season who had great offense. What I found surprised me in that I think my team was better for it. Whereas in the past I would insist that a shortstop have a seven or higher rating, now I think I lean toward offense. Of course between two comparatively rated offensive players, I'll pay a premium for the defense.

One other thing I learned from reading the OOTP forums was that catcher ability rating did not reflect an ability to call games. I thought it was Markus, himself, who stated, that the ability of a catcher to call games (and improve pitching) was not reflected in OOTP. I still lean toward picking a defensive catcher, but now it's the arm I focus on.
Last edited by Jim on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by DanD »

Do catchers will poor "catcher" ratings tend to give up more passed balls?

What's Wilson Berry's rating? :-P
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Jim

#6 Post by Jim »

Bureaucrats wrote:Do catchers will poor "catcher" ratings tend to give up more passed balls?
I think passed balls, ability to catch the pop fly, field a bunt, block the plate,...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Bureaucrats wrote:Do catchers will poor "catcher" ratings tend to give up more passed balls?

What's Wilson Berry's rating? :-P
Whoa, what's with hating on Wilson?? That's the MVP of the PEC you're denigrating there, mister! :lol: And his OSA catcher rating is 68, BTW.

I really couldn't tell you the exact effect defense has in-game. Speaking for myself, I tend to put a premium on players with above-average defense in OOTP. This is somewhat odd to me because in real life I don't tend to place that kind of emphasis on defense. Here, though, I'm willing to live with Salvador Bernal's offensive struggles to get his sweet, sweet glove in center field.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Alan Ehlers

#8 Post by Alan Ehlers »

I know defense is imprtant just because last year when I started playing people who had great defensive ratings my record was .500. Im not saying it was all because of defense but I know I won a couple of games because of defense. Also on another note, I know for a fact that having good coaches pays off. It may take a year or two but the Calzones and I were noticing how a lot of our players improved a lot over the course of the year and I think it is because of the coaching. A perfect example is Rich Gilligan for me who seems to improve with each sim
James Bowman

#9 Post by James Bowman »

jmknpk wrote:One other thing I learned from reading the OOTP forums was that catcher ability rating did not reflect an ability to call games. I thought it was Markus, himself, who stated, that the ability of a catcher to call games (and improve pitching) was not reflected in OOTP. I still lean toward picking a defensive catcher, but now it's the arm I focus on.
I vaguely remember seeing a thread that detailed a test done that varied catchers' intelligence ratings, and leadership ratings, and their overall effect on pitchers' era. I believe intelligence actually played a part in lowering their era, but I could be mistaken.

If I can locate it, I'll post a link, but it's something to chew on for now anyway. :)
James Bowman

#10 Post by James Bowman »

Ok, here is the link. It's post #17 by RonCo.

It actually varied only catchers' leadership, and pitchers' intelligence, but I think the results are pretty convincing.
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Maulers »

The other benefit that I've noticed is that it helps your pitching staff to have an above average defensive team.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Daniel Diemer

#12 Post by Daniel Diemer »

Any sufficiently advanced defense is indistinguishable from pitching.
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by Dinosaurs »

Any sufficiently advanced defense is indistinguishable from pitching.
Not sure I understand this.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”