Goofy scoring rules

Matt
VIP
VIP

Goofy scoring rules

#1 Post by Matt »

Check out the Calzones game from Sept 21 vs NJ

Pancho Lopez pitches 0.2 innings, is charged with allowing a hit, a home run, but no runs charged to him.

He actually pitched the final two outs of the inning before. He starts the next innings, and apparently leaves injured after throwing a ball. Bandelow comes on in relief, and I believe gives up the home run, though the logs aren't clear on that. I say apparently because, in the box score, Lopez gets charged for the hit and the home run, but Bandelow gets charged for the run.

I know there are some goofy scoring rules in baseball sometimes, but anyone have a clue as to which rule in the matrix takes precedence here?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Goofy scoring rules

#2 Post by John »

The game log says says Lopez gave up the home run, but in the replay Bandelow is pitching when the home run is hit. I believe you're right and Lopez threw a ball to Cruz before being replaced by Badelow. Then Bandelow proceeded to give up the home run on his first pitch to Cruz (the second of the at bat). Bandelow should be charged with the run for sure. I think he should have been charged with giving up the homer as well, but I'm not certain about that. Maybe someone else can chime in here?
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Zephyrs »

Calzones wrote:Check out the Calzones game from Sept 21 vs NJ

Pancho Lopez pitches 0.2 innings, is charged with allowing a hit, a home run, but no runs charged to him.

He actually pitched the final two outs of the inning before. He starts the next innings, and apparently leaves injured after throwing a ball. Bandelow comes on in relief, and I believe gives up the home run, though the logs aren't clear on that. I say apparently because, in the box score, Lopez gets charged for the hit and the home run, but Bandelow gets charged for the run.

I know there are some goofy scoring rules in baseball sometimes, but anyone have a clue as to which rule in the matrix takes precedence here?
I actually believe this is correct

A pitcher who inherits a batter with a count can be charged with a hit(even a HR), but not with an earned run
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Hitmen »

As long as the runs count, New Jersey is fine with either pitcher being charged :grin:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Daniel Diemer

#5 Post by Daniel Diemer »

I think I remember a situation a couple years ago in the MLB where a pitcher got hurt during an at-bat, and a pinch hitter was brought in to face the new pitcher then struck out. I remember the announcers commenting that one of the replacements and one of the originals got credit for the strike out (again, don't remember which), but not the other two.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”