Draft article input

Matt
VIP
VIP

Draft article input

#1 Post by Matt »

The next draft article I plan on doing is about lower round success stories. I am basicly looking to highlight players drafted in the 6th round or later who are doing well and have become prospects. Because as an owner you know your organization better than me, just pointing me to these players would be helpful so that I don't overlook anyone.

I'll give some examples from my organization.

In 2008, we didn't have a draft pick in the first five rounds due to trading them away. But we think we hit the motherlode in rounds 6-10. In Round 6 we were landed Josh Shaffer, who has become the #2 prospect in our organization according to BA and the #1 in our eyes. In round 7 we landed speedy shortstop Adrian Romero. In Round 7 we also landed Lee Kohler, since traded to New Jersey, but who still scouts very well. In round 9 we landed Rod Stewart. In round 10 Edgar Fernandez.

In the most recent draft, we landed Ben McGinnity in the 10th round, and we are very excited about his potential after he had a great season at short season ball.

In some cases, it may be a player you recieved in trade. For instance, the Calzones organization has former 8th round pick Bob Keller, who we are very high on.

I know of some of these players around the league, the obvious ones like Larry Brown. But in order to make the article as complete as possible and not slight anyone in this regard, any input, simply pointing me in the players direction for instance, would help greatly.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft article input

#2 Post by Tyler »

The Coal Sox only success so far has been Mike Herr, 10th round 2008, since traded to Duluth.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by DanD »

C Larry Brown
06-07-2007 Drafted in the 2007 first-year player draft (Round 8, Pick 16, 184th overall Pick) by the Arlington Bureaucrats.
04-06-2009 Named the #18 prospect in the PEBA

I'm excited to see how Brown does in AAA being a year older. He tore up the low minors and AA, but was mortal in AAA in 2008. I think 2009 will be the year that I find out what I have in Brown.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Aurora post-5th round draftees who at least marginally resemble prospects include:
  • 2B Josh Christensen (Round 7, 2007). He's got the speed to be a threat on the base paths. Now if he can just learn to take a walk...
  • MR Pat MacComie (Round 6, 2008). He got a late bump to San Luis Río Colorado at the end of the year and ended up playing a big role in the Rapidos Blancos' Free Trade Throwdown championship.
  • CL Jeff Marable (Round 7, 2008). It may look like he struggled after being promoted to Hi-A, but he was actually pretty unlucky. 1 walk and 15 strikeouts in 15.1 innings says his 94 MPH heat is legit.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Maulers »

Crickets.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Alan Ehlers

#6 Post by Alan Ehlers »

The One player Tempe was very happy to get was Khai Li, who was a late round draft pick for Kentucky then released. His potential is very good and he gets on base wherever he plays.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Denny »

The one possible Palm Springs overachiever is 1B Chris Greene, selected in the 11th round of this year's amateur draft, after the Codgers brain trust had turned over picking duties to Intern Courtney (rumor has it she eschewed any actual baseball analysis and just took guys she thought were cute). :-?

Anyhow, after amassing a VORP of just -2.6 over the course of a thoroughly undistinguished college career, Greene has simply caught fire here in the professional ranks; his first full season in Lanai City the guy had an OPS of .893! :shock:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by klewis »

Did Courtney picked the pin.... err salmon colored uniforms too? :grin:
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Denny »

Everyone's a hater! :^
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Matt
VIP
VIP

#10 Post by Matt »

Featherheads wrote:Did Courtney picked the pin.... err salmon colored uniforms too? :grin:
Hey, if Siegfried and Roy can wear pink, so can the Codgers. I mean, their manly men, right?
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Ghosts »

not sure if we're including inaugural draft (post 25th round...of course) or not, but here goes:

Ronnie Ray, 1b (currently on Major League squad) - drafted 38th round. Came out of nowhere to become (and then get off the list) of 100 top prospects. Currently hitting .333, with a .400 OBP and a 1.029 slugging percentage in 132 major league ABs.

on the more pedestrian tip....

Jaime Perez, SLICK fielding and SPEEDY (pretty close to 100's across the board in both categories) CF - drafted in 7th round of 2008 draft. Solid SS-A 2008 campaign, but he tore up SS-A in 2009, hitting .341, .406 OBP, and .822 OPS. Performed well in mid-season promotion to Hi-A, hitting .299.

Norm Williams, 3b - drafted in 10th round of 2008 draft. Solid SS-A in 2008, and battered pitching in 2009. .354 avg., .422 OBP, and .865 OPS.

Jose Cortez, RF, drafted in 10th round of 2009 and Julio Sanchez, C, drafted 8th in 2008, though both are a litte old to be in SS-A to be considered true prospects.
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Maulers »

Codgers wrote:The one possible Palm Springs overachiever is 1B Chris Greene, selected in the 11th round of this year's amateur draft, after the Codgers brain trust had turned over picking duties to Intern Courtney (rumor has it she eschewed any actual baseball analysis and just took guys she thought were cute). :-?

Anyhow, after amassing a VORP of just -2.6 over the course of a thoroughly undistinguished college career, Greene has simply caught fire here in the professional ranks; his first full season in Lanai City the guy had an OPS of .893! :shock:
Courtney thinks that that guy is cute? Is she a chubby-chaser?
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Coqui »

Fraser Richardson, currently at Middle Bass, struggled this year but the Canton FO thinks he could develop into a decent reliever. He was taken in the 7th round in 2008.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Denny »

Maulers wrote:
Codgers wrote:The one possible Palm Springs overachiever is 1B Chris Greene, selected in the 11th round of this year's amateur draft, after the Codgers brain trust had turned over picking duties to Intern Courtney (rumor has it she eschewed any actual baseball analysis and just took guys she thought were cute). :-?

Courtney thinks that that guy is cute? Is she a chubby-chaser?
There's no accounting for taste!
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”