Who's your rival?

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who's your rival?

#1 Post by John »

The topic of rivalries came up in one of the new member threads, and that got me to thinking: Which PEBA team would you classify as your top rival?

If I were forced to choose, I'd probably have to target the Bakersfield Bears. The Bears owned us in '07 and were a good part of the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Of course in '08 they wiped the diamond with us in a 3-game first round playoff sweep. Now there's a distinct possibility we'll be meeting once again in the playoffs. I've completed trades with most PEBA teams, but never the Bears - perhaps my "divisional animosity" showing through? I don't think I've every forgiven them for shipping Jack Cobb out of the Sovereign League. And finally, Bears are the #1 thread to America.

Nope, I just plain don't like those Bakersfield Bears. :-P
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Who's your rival?

#2 Post by Maulers »

When you're a doormat for your first 2 years, it's hard to develop any legitimate rivalries. I'd say now, though, that there are definite possibilities with Gloucester, New Jersey, and, New Orleans.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Mike Branda

#3 Post by Mike Branda »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:The topic of rivalries came up in one of the new member threads, and that got me to thinking: Which PEBA team would you classify as your top rival?

If I were forced to choose, I'd probably have to target the Bakersfield Bears. The Bears owned us in '07 and were a good part of the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Of course in '08 they wiped the diamond with us in a 3-game first round playoff sweep. Now there's a distinct possibility we'll be meeting once again in the playoffs. I've completed trades with most PEBA teams, but never the Bears - perhaps my "divisional animosity" showing through? I don't think I've every forgiven them for shipping Jack Cobb out of the Sovereign League. And finally, Bears are the #1 thread to America.

Nobody likes bears.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

This is a tough one to answer yet. It might take a few more seasons to really sort out.

Geographically, it's New Orleans, and they are in our division. But as much as we try to bait them, they just won't bite when we poke fun at that muddy mosquito infested stinking armpit of America.

On a personal level, Tempe, of course, because we have known each other for so long.

West Virginia might become the more natural rival over the next few years, especially as we will both be rebuilding and hoping to climb back to the top of the DIXIE at around the same time, and are both on similar courses of action with hording draft picks, etc. Could be a lively first few rounds in next years draft with us cursing each other. It's odd though, because we have had a pretty good relationship on the trading front, even though we are in direct competition. We'll see how that lasts as we accelerate our rebuilding processes in a couple of seasons.

Overall, though, at this point I paint targets on Aurora and Crystal Lake as they are the model franchises and the two I view as the "Evil Empires". Tons of talent in the majors and in the minors, and all the quality minor league free agents beating down their doors to play there. To a little lesser extent I include Bakersfield in this group, another well run franchise with very focused efforts, though they don't seem to have quite the luck at wooing the quality minor league free agents that CL and Aurora have had. I am unlikely to make a major trade involving any of the three because I know that none of the three are likely to make a move unless it is a smart move for them. It's just a preference to not swim with the sharks.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by klewis »

I'm still new to PEBA so it's hard to formulate who my rival is. But definitely it has to be within my division. I would say right now it might be West Virginia. Main reason is that our teams appear evenly matched (despite his team owning me in head to head play). This year I've been battling with his team for 3rd spot in the division so it makes more of a rivalry.

I suppose naturally though, my rivalry should be Charleston. We both entered PEBA around the same time. We both are business moguls of some sort. Geographically, Charleston is closest. By the way, I think Tyler's Team Map should be stickied. I noticed there's also a Charleston in West Virginia too.

There's a couple of Arlingtons and Manchesters. It can be quite confusing for a new person without the map heh.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Coqui »

Omaha. A quick scan through the Sovereign League forum would reveal that there is no love lost between our organizations. There may be no good reason for this. Or it might be because Bryan suffers from an (understandable) inferiority complex.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Denny »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:The topic of rivalries came up in one of the new member threads, and that got me to thinking: Which PEBA team would you classify as your top rival?

Well that is just typical of Aurora to try to weasel away the Codgers' top rival for himself. Palm Springs has consistently and publicly espoused a hatred for and rivalry with Bakersfield, almost from the moment that franchise moved from San Luis Obispo. It's a deep and vibrant rivalry, one of the strongest in PEBA, extending from the major leagues all the way down to our High-A affiliates (*shakes fist at Chula Vista*).

The Bears are OUR rival! Pfeu!
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Ghosts »

we have no rival.

the pride of PEBA need not stoop so low.

(twirls mustache).
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Tyler »

My geographic rival is Kentucky, but with all respect to Bill, until they're competitive it isn't much of a feud.

I agree with Matt - I think that due to our team's similar strategies and circumstances that my main rival is San Antonio. Which, again as Matt pointed out, is interesting given our strong trading partnership.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Duane »

Coal Sox wrote:My geographic rival is Kentucky, but with all respect to Bill, until they're competitive it isn't much of a feud.

I agree with Matt - I think that due to our team's similar strategies and circumstances that my main rival is San Antonio. Which, again as Matt pointed out, is interesting given our strong trading partnership.
Our rival is the economy :-S ... and of course the evil ones :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Reg »

hmm...yeah, I think the whole Dixie is rivaled against each other, but specifically the Trendsetters have traditional clashed with the Statesmen (losing to them in the first round two years ago, and the battle for first place this season)...

However, it brings New Orleans fans to beat any teams from Kentucky, Florida, West Virginia, or San Antonio or Laredo or Los Angeles (wherever they play) :mrgreen: :-x
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Bill »

Few things warm the cockles of my heart like beating any of my brothers. When you're 36 games out of the wild card, little else can stir pathos for any one particular impending loss.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”