The PEBA Boondoggle - 2040

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The PEBA Boondoggle - 2040

#1 Post by Lions »

As we head into the 2040 season, one of the things that has really been on my mind over the offseason is the current state of starting pitching in the PEBA. PEBA has historically been a league of aces. You've got your Markus Hancock and your Michel Provost and your Enrique Vasquez and then... who? Well the natural answer is Reno's José Ojeda. However... he's not exactly the same, is he?

Let's start with just how great he's been.

Ojeda just wrapped up his 3rd consecutive SL Golden Arm award with a 6.8 WAR season in which he went 15-8 with a 3.31 ERA and 236 K's. This year will be his age 25 season! Is he already a PEBA Hall of Famer after just 5 seasons?

Every PEBA pitcher with at least 3 Golden Arm awards to his name has been elected to the PEBA Hall of Fame. This includes the holy trinity of Hancock, Provost, and Vázquez.

A quick aside on those three. Vazquez and Provost are both right around 80 career WAR. Hancock put up 80 WAR just with Bakersfield. He had about 135 total WAR after 3 Golden Arms and 5 All-Star appearnces in Tempe. So you'd basically need to take Vazquez and add Jim MacCowan or John Turner to get Hancock.

As a second aside, this may just be me, but how much better nicknames are Fireworks and Old Nick than Train Arollin'?

The other two players with 3 Golden Arm awards are Christ York and Conan McCullough.

Here, then, are the 9 players with 2 Golden Arms. You'll see that about half of them are in the Hall of Fame already. There's not a single pitcher with exactly one Golden Arm in the Hall of Fame, although Dean O'Monahan and Francisco Robles were both elected without winning one.

So where does that leave Ojeda? Now that he's won his 3rd straight Golden Arm this year, is he already a lock for the Hall of Fame? I'd love to say that the answer is yes, but is it actually that straightforward*?

This is going to sound like a knock on Ojeda, and it's really not meant to... Ojeda's an excellent pitcher, but he's not (yet?) the kind of dominant starter that many of the other names listed above were. If you look at Ojeda's age and his success so far, you wonder if he's the next pitcher poised to dominate like Hancock, Old Nick, and Provost. However if you look at his WAR numbers, they're signficantly behind what those pitchers did in their heyday. Those pitchers were bottoming out in the 7+ WAR range, regularly topping 9+ (or in Hancock's case, 11+). Ojeda has yet to pitch a 7+ WAR season. His highest seasonal war of 6.8 came this year, so maybe he'll up it as he gets older and be as dominant as those guys, but I don't know.

Here's an interesting fact: Ojeda's best WAR season of 6.8 current ranks 118th in PEBA history for pitcher WAR. It's not even in the top 100! Did you know Bob Burns posted 6.9 WAR in 2026 (as a starter for San Antonio). We've had 44 pitcher seasons of 8.0 WAR or higher.

I think we're currently in a transition period. There isn't really a true ace among the older pitchers anymore. In my mind, Luppe was supposed to be that guy, and he's still great, but his last two seasons combined have been less valuable and he looks like he's merely good now. Shin Seiki's Jorge Castillo has aged better than it looks like Luppe is doing, so maybe he's the elder statesman to look up to. Owen Barse and Roberto Rivera are two others who seem to be performing well as they age. The thing is, none of these guys are holding a candle to the younger generation. None of them go into the season looking like a true Golden Arm candidate.

Look at the starters under the age of 27 that are already better than all of those old guys. In addition to Ojeda you have Florida's Edgardo Trevino and Hen-to Tse, like they need two young aces to go with their offense. Miguel Boroa, who won Golden Arm and went 23-0 last year looks like their 4th best starter from a talent perspective. Hartford has Aaron Goater. Fargo has David García. René Padilla has helped Duluth get to the top of the Great Lakes. Charleston has an overloaded 6-man rotation of guys in the 22-25 age range that have yet to really show themselves. San Antonio has the best young pitching prospect in the league. I've left out a number of guys who I easily could have included (e.g. Pin, McCoy, Maruyama). It's really kind of ridiculous.

So I do wonder how that plays out for Ojeda. Even if he continues to post 6 WAR seasons, that might not be enough to stay atop the league's talent pool. Maybe his timing was good for those 3 Golden Arms, not that he didn't deserve them. Maybe he wins another 3 over the course of his career as he's certainly talented enough to do so. I just don't see him being the favorite year on year like some of the true greats of the past. What I do think is that we're headed into a tremendous era for pitching.

* I do actually think it's that straightforward... the answer is undoubtedly "yes".
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The PEBA Boondoggle - 2040

#2 Post by Borealis »

Lions wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:44 pm As a second aside, this may just be me, but how much better nicknames are Fireworks and Old Nick than Train Arollin'?
Hey! That was Ron Collins who slapped that one on Monsieur Provost, and his train kept on arollin' straight into the Hall of Fame!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: The PEBA Boondoggle - 2040

#3 Post by Lions »

As of May 14, here are the division leaders that did not win their division last year:

IL:
Seaboard: Manchester (4th place, 22 games back last year)
Dixie: Charleston (3rd, 62 GB)
Trans-Atlantic: London (2nd, 1 GB)

SL:
Great Lakes: Kalamazoo (2nd, 2 GB)
Desert Hills: Tempe (2nd, 6 GB)
Rising Sun: Niihama-shi (2nd, 1 GB)

Yes, that's all of them*! London, Tempe, and Niihama all made the playoffs, but the other three didn't.

The biggest surprise here is probably Manchester. I suppose you could put Charleston as the biggest surprise simply because no one expects anyone to keep up with Florida for a full month, but the Statesmen were a team that people knew had a lot of young talent and could realistically challenge for a postseason berth via the wild card.

Manchester wasn't really on anyone's radar as a possible contender. So how did they get here?

The Maulers are currently 5th in runs scored and 9th in runs allowed. They're outperforming their pythagorean expected record a bit, but it's the actual wins and losses that count.

On the pitching side, José Martínez is having the breakout season that he's been working towards for the past two seasons. A 4th round draft pick in 2034, Martínez struggled his first two seasons in the minors. In 2036, something clicked. If you look at his underlying numbers, he had terrible BABIP against prior to 2036. Then at Portsmouth (A), he had a super low .253 BABIP, and that seemed to set him on the path towards trusting his stuff and becoming a top prospect. So far this season, he's 4-1 with a 2.72 ERA in 8 starts.
Derek Valera is seeing good results, and the bullpen is quite strong. They're currently the 4th best relief corps by ERA in the IL.

Offensively, DH Eng-hee Chin already has 8 home runs after having 18 last year. The team is 4th in the IL in home runs. Similar to Chin, 3B David Simmons has 7 home runs after hitting 17 last year. The Maulers signed 1B Jonathan Hill away from Reno in the offseason, and he hasn't really gotten going yet, so expect more to come from him.

At 23-15 (.605), Manchester has the weakest record of any IL division leader, but that's not really a knock on them. A .605 winning percentage would get them 98 wins at season's end and certainly into the playoffs. That said, the rest of the division hasn't played up to expectations. West Virginia is only 1 game over .500 at 20-19. New Jersey is 18-21 (.462) at this point. Both teams have been scoring plenty of runs but giving up plenty as well. For the Alleghenies, the rotation has struggled, while for the Hitmen, the bullpen has been more to blame.

Are the Maulers true contenders this year? It's pretty early still, so plenty can happen and roster moves can certainly have an impact. It seems unlikely that they'll be able to hold off the more talented rosters of both West Virginia and New Jersey for the division crown, but a strong start could lead to an unexpected wild card run. They've got 124 games to go in the regular season. They need to go 67-57 over those games to get to 90 wins (.540). That doesn't seem out of reach. Last year, it took 92 wins to get Amsterdam the final IL Wild Card. It would certainly be a lot of fun to see Manchester challenging for a spot.

The Maulers have had just one winning seasons since returning to the PEBA from the WIL. That was 84 wins in 2035. Perhaps this is they year they change that. After all, they were dominant during their WIL tenure (4 playoffs, 3 titles in 5 seasons), and Mauler fans will love seeing them as contenders again if they can keep this up.

* The only division winner from last year that's not currently in 2nd place is Duluth. They're tied for 3rd with Madison, behind Crystal Lake.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030

Return to “League News and Articles”