Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2040, Season 34

Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2040, Season 34

#1 Post by Board of the PEBA »

Noticed something neat from our latest sim? This is the place to post it!

Please use this thread for post-sim discussion only.

If you're having a technical problem with a new league file, do not post it here!
Post your tech issues in this thread. We will be monitoring it and will respond ASAP
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)
Trendsetters
Single-A
Single-A

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2040, Season 34

#2 Post by Trendsetters »

For the next sim. I was finally able to deal Freddy Morales. Little does Rob know that he has terminal leprosy.

Actually he should do well in Palm Springs and is still a top catching option. New Orleans will focus a little more on defense this year so Yi may get more starts.

Hopefully with Yi behind the plate, Wallace at SS and Slater in CF our near the bottom defensive ranking will improve a bit.
Chuck Valenches
GM New Orleans Trendsetters
Calzones
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

#3 Post by Calzones »

SP Johnny Arthur added a fastball in Winter Ball but to my delight also learned a cutter in Spring Training. I can't wait to see how he pans out in the majors!
James Dollman
GM San Antonio Calzones of Laredo
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Lions »

Calzones wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:17 pmSP Johnny Arthur added a fastball in Winter Ball but to my delight also learned a cutter in Spring Training. I can't wait to see how he pans out in the majors!
Can't say I'm looking forward to it! He's looking very good.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Dinosaurs »

Some roster battle outcomes for Fargo as spring training comes to a close:

Of the three pitchers vying for two starting rotation spots, both Francisco Luna and Pedro Arreolo won the jobs, while Cesar Echevarria will start the year out at AAA and see if he can work his way back up into the rotation after a decent showing last season in his first exposure.

No real surprises on the offensive side, with the exception of top prospect OF Han-soo Yi, being demoted to AAA to start the year. I don't foresee him being down there too long though, he's looking ready to make his debut in PEBA quite soon.

Last season's 1st round pick, LF Bryan Vazquez, is looking like his aggressive promotion (straight to AA last season from the draft, and now AAA to start this season) is paying off and he to may be in line for a debut this season, though he'll spend some time in AAA getting reps in at 1B as well as the corner OF spots to open up some versatility.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

The last roster battle - for relief corps spots, goes to rookies Rafael Ruiz and Xisto Tamayo - with Louahla heading back to the Sun Dogs - and in a twist, to work as a starter...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Thoroughbreds
Double-A
Double-A

#7 Post by Thoroughbreds »

In 2037 shortstop Pedro Santana had 5 at bats total and was without a hit. Thanks to a injury to Luke Kossan, Santana managed to get his first AB's since 2037.
In his first appearance in 3 years he went 3 for 3 with 2 doubles and a walk and was named the player of the game vs Charleston.

Rookie 1b Lawrence Gorwyn is a low eye, high contact guy, In 31 at bats so far this season he is hitting .355. He has zero walks and one strikeout.
Sean Torgerson
GM Kentucky Thoroughbreds
Trendsetters
Single-A
Single-A

#8 Post by Trendsetters »

In news that will not impact my team one bit. Raul Munoz threw a perfect game in AAA! I am still not a believer and he will continue to languish in AAA
Chuck Valenches
Trendsetters
Single-A
Single-A

#9 Post by Trendsetters »

We will see how long it lasts, but the Trendsetters are a game over .500, the first time I have ever had this team over .500. That and Nathan Gallard had a great 2-0 sim including 8.0 ip of shutout ball vs NJ.
Chuck Valenches
Shisa
Single-A
Single-A

#10 Post by Shisa »

Okinawa leads the league in 1 run games played with 13 - upping our record this sim to 6-7 in those games.

Okinawa is also tied for fewest home games played in PEBA with a mere 6 in the starting month, so hopefully better times ahead with some more home cooking.
Matthew Reid
GM Okinawa Shisa
Codgers
Single-A
Single-A

#11 Post by Codgers »

Palm Springs hovering around .500 while we sort out roster issues. We are trying to find the right balance of defense and offense with the imperfect collection of players we have.

This week: 1B Antonio Fuentes recalled from AAA so we have a 1B on the roster. We have been playing Rollins at 1B to allow us to get at bats for the trio of Ornelza, Valdes and Canseco in the corner OF spots. As it stands, one of Valdes and Canseco will earn the majority of the ABs and the other will be a bench bat.

C Freddy Morales is hitting well trying to earn a second contract from the Codgers, as a result Perez is seeing more time at DH.

3B Benjamin Gentileschi has been waived after a horrendous start at the plate to make room for the recall of rookie 3B Javier Cervantes who has also struggled at the plate but has a higher ceiling than Gentileschi. The additions of Bermudez and Rodriguez made him expendable, they are both better defenders and hit just as poorly as Gentileschi

The lineup will be a work in progress through the early part of the season, just hoping we can stay within striking distance of the playoffs while we sort it out. On the positive side, with the additions of Perez and Ornelza the Codgers are seeing a 41% increase in revenue per game which is really our goal for this season - to get cheapskate owner Hopkins Reginald Bunner to increase our budget again while over $25MM comes off the books at the end of the season and maybe sneak into the playoffs.

On the pitching side, we are experimenting with Stoppers vs Setup/Closer for the first time. I like Baverstock and O'Slattery getting more innings than a random middle reliever but we will see how it shakes out. I've never used a Stopper before but trying to put the ball in the hands of our best MRs more often

Comyn, after a strong Spring Training has not pitched great in his two of his four regular season starts. That will need to improve soon if he wants to stay in the rotation.
Bob Sullivan
GM Palm Springs Codgers
Trendsetters
Single-A
Single-A

#12 Post by Trendsetters »

New Orleans with another solid sim going 5-2 including 2 of 3 from FLA which I don't think has happened since I took over.

Still tinkering with the ticket price, trying to get my attendance around 80%.
Chuck Valenches
Codgers
Single-A
Single-A

#13 Post by Codgers »

Solid SIM for the Codgers going 3-1 vs Aurora and 2-1 vs Reno - always good to show up in divisional games.

Got an email from SP Nathan Comyn, it only said, "Keep my name out of your mouth." After the last SIM I said he needed to pitch better to stay in the rotation so he did - two quality starts throwing 14.2 innings with a 1.23 ERA and 0.89 WHiP to earn a win vs Reno and a non-decision in the win vs Aurora.

SP Takashi Yamamoto was roughed up by Aurora in his start. We need him to get back on track in a quick hurry.

Robby Rollins is trying to set the PEBA record for strikeouts in a season with 36Ks in 30 games. STUD
Bob Sullivan
GM Palm Springs Codgers
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Lions »

I just want to call out C Iwao Yamamoto for currently being at a .404 batting average on May 7. We're a month into the season, and after what was a pretty disappointing season last year, where he hit just .249, it's good to see him playing well. Many people feel (outside of Aurora ;) ) that batting average isn't a great measure of offensive contribution, but in Yamamoto's case I've always thought of him as a guy who should hit over .300 every year. He's only once been over .260 and never over .280. This is obviously beyond what I was expecting, but I feel like this is the best version of what I thought he could be.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Borealis »

It was a rough sim - if measured solely by the W-L on the week - but Aurora could easily have flipped the script on the Codgers and won three of those four games as it was a 1-1 game 1, into the 9th, before 'Machete' gave up a solo homer to lose it, and it was a 2-0 lead into the 8th of game 2 before Barry Rodriguez allowed a 3-run homer to lose the game. Both games tight, taut, and with a lot of zero's on the board - as all the scoring happened in just 5 of the 18-inning.

The Borealis returned the favor on the Bears - after being swept in the season opening 2-game series at BAK, Aurora swept three from the Bears - also at BAK.

Rookie Xisto Tamayo, who has moved into the rotation while Brian Clark takes a breather, has three starts, is 2-1, and has allowed 3-runs in 20 IP (1.35). He had allowed no runs in 8-relief innings (over 4 appearances). The big key to his success is he's reduced his walks dramatically - perhaps he's getting a huge assist from his catcher, All-Leather Lan Qing, who in my import to v25 I see he rates as a 10 framer. I'm not sure how that gets figured out of current ratings, of if there is even something there in v24, but... there's that.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”