Off-Season Fishing Trip Strengthens Bonds Between Teammates

Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

Off-Season Fishing Trip Strengthens Bonds Between Teammates

#1 Post by Bureaucrats »

Out in the wide expanse of Montana, on Flathead Lake, a boat sits in the calm waters, gently rocking. It's no different from any other boat; about 25ft long, a combination of aluminum and polyethylene for structural integrity and buoyancy, and an outboard motor for propulsion. Beneath the boat, are reeds, lakeweed and, we hope, fish. It's a nice and cool sixty-six degrees, and even in the firm grasp of Fall, it is pleasant. Sitting in said boat, on chairs of feather-stuffed cushions and unbuckled seat-belts, sit Reggie Raines, Kaleb Felton, Rien Leeuwenburgh, and Rob Raines. All but Rob are shirtless, tanning in the sun smartly with sunscreen in their board shorts. They all have fishing rods hanging over the side, hoping that one of the myriad of species is foolish enough to take a bite. Our reporter on site, Brian Cunningham, has this opportunity to speak with our boys on the boat.

"You've really gotta be patient with these fish," says Kaleb Felton, painstakingly reeling in a very shiny lure "One small thing could spook them."

When asked about the season, he had this to say;

"I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, it was a bad season overall. We fell short of .500, I personally don't feel satisfied on my contribution, and it seems every other team in the division got a little better. We got hurt, bad, and that really put a damper on the season. Hopefully, we're healthier next season, cuz I really want a shot at playoff baseball in Black and Yellow."

When asked about his upcoming arbitration hearing, he declined to answer. Any further conversation was interrupted with the rapid bending of his fishing pole, as he struggled to reel in a monster largemouth bass, easily over two feet long. After landing it, we pose for pictures, and release it back into the lake. As we celebrate the achievement, Rien passes me a can of beer, and we get to talking.

"Gorgeous day today. Makes you really thankful to be alive really."

I ask him his thoughts on the season. Leeuwenburgh, who finished 4th on the team in the major offensive categories, had this to say.

"There's not much to really say," he says, in between sips of his drink, a lite beer that for copyright reasons I cannot name "We fell short, had one winning month, and disappointed the fans. I played poorly, and it showed. Hell, I even got ejected in late September over a beanball. At a time when our ticket to October was well out of reach. Who does that?" He takes another swig, pauses, and reaches for another can, discarding his old one into a plastic bag.

"I just want to move on, and get ready for the next one." He says, as he prepares his own line for casting. I walk over to the youngest member of our entourage, Reggie, and sit down next to him. After exchanging pleasantries, I ask him how it felt to be a rookie where his father spent so much time in his career.

"It was an amazing feeling. You walk out of the dugout for player introductions and the crowd acts like you've spent your entire life there. I definitely got to practice my autograph pretty regularly." He said with a chuckle. When asked how he felt about the season, he had this to say.

"It being my first season and all, while we didn't make the playoffs, it certainly is a good springboard for the next one. A lot to improve on, as a whole."

I asked about his feelings on his personal performance.

"First year jitters weren't really even a factor, I feel like. I hit well, got on base a lot, and did a good job in the field. I really felt the fan's support every time I went out there."

After some more idle chatter, the topic of his injury came up. Raines had missed 6 weeks with forearm inflammation back in May, and didn't return until mid-July.

"It definitely was frustrating. I would have loved to have been out there every day, but the training staff really wanted me to rest and recover. It's an odd feeling, sitting on the sidelines, not being able to go out and play. I'm just glad I was able to resume my performance after I came back. Not many players are the exact same as they were before their injury. I feel very lucky in that regard."

Reggie bends over the cooler for a beverage, and I walk over to Rob Raines, an imposing figure even in board shorts and a tank top, if not for his god-like status as a Hall-of-Famer as his physical stature. The aviator sunglasses add to the visage very effectively. But, he is very happy to talk with me, and I ask about the rumors that the Bureaucrats organization is grooming him for a role in the PEBA-level coaching staff. With a smile, he says

"I kinda figured that's what they want me to be. Ever since I saw that slip of paper slid over to me to be the rookie league hit coach, I knew they wanted me up there at some point in the future. I don't mind it, truly. I very much appreciate that they want me to get some kind of coaching experience," he grins, adding "Considering the last time I coach was back when Reggie was in little league."

On the topic of a return to Jane P. Woods Memorial Stadium as a coach

"Oh lordy, I'm not sure I'm particularly ready for that," he chuckles "I was almost crying at my number retirement ceremony, I don't know how that first game is gonna go."

"I think I'd be ready as a coach, though. I have a lot of knowledge to impart on these young guys."

We spend the rest of the day fishing, drinking, and joking, until the sun has begun to set.
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats

Return to “Arlington Bureaucrats”